Cue tips test hardness with "Durometer"

ratcues

No yodeling, please.
Silver Member
How so? Please elaborate. thanks

I've seen them measuring tips, such as LePros, and then categorizing them by their specific hardness. Let's say 76s, 77s, 78s, then selling them as such.

These numbers are derived from the average of a very large sample. It is meant to show hardness relative to other tips on the market, not tip-to-tip of a specific tip brand.

jingle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure if I am agreeing or disagreeing but I want to give you my perspective. Tips have changed dramatically over the 16 years I have been doing this. This is what I have learned;

1. I do not, for one second, believe that a tip that cost more is better.
2. Players and cue smiths often misuse the hardness rating.
3. A player must match a tip to his/her game.
4. Cue makers install cheaper tips on spec cues because of the vast selection of tips. No sense installing their favorite "$$$ tip" if the player wants to cut it off and play with something else.
5. Tips need to be consistent, from tip to tip, and throughout the life of the tip.

Most important; Pool is about consistency.

Not trying to derail the thread, but on a side note I wanted to give Ryan and the Muellers crew some props on their Dudley tip....I'm hooked!

smokey

let's roll
Silver Member
ratcues...

Its my own special recipe...

you have a recipe = what is it?

are you going to tell the pool world it is proprietary?

if you want to discuss this seriously, start with your recipe and we can have a useful discussion for all to see.

all the best,
smokey

ratcues

No yodeling, please.
Silver Member
you have a recipe = what is it?

are you going to tell the pool world it is proprietary?

if you want to discuss this seriously, start with your recipe and we can have a useful discussion for all to see.

all the best,
smokey

That doesn't seem like a good business practice to me but, yes, the way we make the Dudley tip is proprietary, as in, it is our process. Dudley is also trademarked. There isn't much to discuss that hasn't already been hashed over and over.

smokey

let's roll
Silver Member
hey rat...

That doesn't seem like a good business practice to me but, yes, the way we make the Dudley tip is proprietary, as in, it is our process. Dudley is also trademarked. There isn't much to discuss that hasn't already been hashed over and over.

game over with you...

but not game over

best,
smokey

smokey

let's roll
Silver Member
hey rat...

do you konw what 'tr' means?

just curious

best,
smokey

ratcues

No yodeling, please.
Silver Member
game over with you...

but not game over

best,
smokey

I'm sorry but do we have a problem? I commented in this thread to help with understanding tip hardnesses with my knowledge and experience. Did that somehow upset you?

Captain K.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been doing the same since the late eighties. I haven't bought a box of tips since then so my rejects were selected out a long time ago.

I used them to experiment with making milk duds. Rejects are not dead....they are just waiting to be re-pressed IMHO. :wink:

I do the same thing, even tried the smash and fold on the really bad ones.

Charlie Edwards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

fathomblue

Rusty Shackleford
Silver Member
where does Onyx tips stand on this chart? thanks

I'm curious about Onyx as well. I've heard so many good things about them on this site, that I'm having my cuemaker put it on the new project I commissioned.

Any tests or comments on these Onyx tips?

Lil_Kasper

Like A Boss
Silver Member
Hope this help most of you with this DUROMETER HARDNESS TEST ON TIPS.

"Blue milk duds"ELK MATER TIPS PRESS BY (POOLDAWG8) JEFF VERY CONSISTENT PLAYER TIPS:thumbup:
73.5, 73.0, AND 74.0

OLD ELK MASTER ORIGINAL TIPS

BLACK DIAMOND TIPS

BLACK KING TIPS
(S) 65.5 (M) 67.5 (H) 70.5

BLUE ELF TIPS

BAMMA TIPS

TRIUMPH TIPS

TRIANGLE TIPS

TIGER SNIPER TIPS

KAMUI TIPS
(H. BROWN) 73.5 (M. BROWN) 71.0 (S. BROWN) 62.5
(H. BLACK) 73.5 (M. BLACK) 72.5 (S. BLACK) 62.0

MORRI TIPS
(1ST GEN. WITH "S" ONLY) 62.0
(2ND GEN. SOFT) 71.0 (OLD MEDIUM) 77.0 (M III) 75.0

TAD TIPS
(M) 75.0

SAMSARA JUMP TIPS

SUPERPRO TIPS

LePRO TIPS

TALISMAN TIPS
(M) 70.5

WB USA TIPS

Are Snipers really only 67 in hardness rating?? I shoot with one and they seem harder than that....

LHP5

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Might seem kind of like a useless question but anyone here know a tip that will play like a well used sniper? I really like the way this tip plays right now but it's a 3 year old tip with about 2 layers left. I know it supposed to be a medium tip but it plays like a hard one due to all the use. Any suggestions? Thanks.