Cue value?

WFD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been asked if I can help value an old QP Cue. An old friend who passed away and his daighter try to sell it.

Added some photos. Unfortunatly he had a small accident a few months after hebought the cue (Se 4th photo). He played with it for several years and it has no effect on how it plays.

1000007573.jpg
1000007574.jpg
1000007575.jpg
1000007576.jpg

Last edited:

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
a special kind of guy, to say the least. but his cues played real nice. a friend had two of them. they were overpriced at the time though and i don't think the value has gone up after ronnie passed

Reactions: WFD

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
a special kind of guy, to say the least. but his cues played real nice. a friend had two of them. they were overpriced at the time though and i don't think the value has gone up after ronnie passed
Special is putting it mildly.
He openly accused me of smuggling ivory to the US.
Then it turns out he was a murder and rape suspect.

shooter_Hans

I don’t know the value. If it is laced with ivory then immediately 50-75% off.

If someone doesn’t care about value and like how they shoot then go ahead and play with one. Cues aren’t investments.

There is no more value due to ivory ban. Who’s going to risk sending a 5k cue? Also if it gets confiscated then who is responsible?

There is no buyer or seller in these transactions. Both would get in trouble. There is me donating money to you and you giving me a cue. So if something goes wrong then that just sucks.

It reminds me of that video where a lady called the cops because someone sold her fake cocaine.

That stupid ban just cut off a lot of people in an already niche market.

Last edited:
Reactions: WFD

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
any cue with damage or visible repairs goes way down in value.

i see plenty of bad workmanship on it and whats with all the writing which makes it look ridiculous.

shooter_Hans

i see plenty of bad workmanship on it and whats with all the writing which makes it look ridiculous.
Yea I’ve seen the prettiest cues in the world and then the maker wants to sign his name on it. I think makers should go away with the signature or the hand written stuff.

This isn’t 1950’s. You can inscribe your name or logo on a butt with machines. If you sign it don’t sign it where it is visible.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Special is putting it mildly.
He openly accused me of smuggling ivory to the US.
Then it turns out he was a murder and rape suspect.

he accused a lot of people of a lot of things iirc. can you elaborate on the murder thing? i assume this was in the philippines?

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
In

And those are not scrimshaw work.
They're tattoos .

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t know the value. If it is laced with ivory then immediately 50-75% off.

If someone doesn’t care about value and like how they shoot then go ahead and play with one. Cues aren’t investments.

There is no more value due to ivory ban. Who’s going to risk sending a 5k cue? Also if it gets confiscated then who is responsible?

There is no buyer or seller in these transactions. Both would get in trouble. There is me donating money to you and you giving me a cue. So if something goes wrong then that just sucks.

It reminds me of that video where a lady called the cops because someone sold her fake cocaine.

That stupid ban just cut off a lot of people in an already niche market.
To the very best of my knowledge, as long as the seller & the buyer both reside in a state and not necessarily the same state either, that hasn’t passed legislation restricting ivory, then any ivory ban is inapplicable due to state sovereignty. The vast majority of states in the USA have not yet, and may never, enact restrictions on the sale of ivory. However, there’s been a international ban on ivory for a long time.

I can’t legally sell my cues, buy or trade for any cues that contain ivory, while I am physically within CA’s boundaries. However, I can travel to another state, even for a short duration of a hour, that does not have any ivory restrictions and
sell my cue(s) or acquire any new ones. For example, Las Vegas has cue shows where sellers congregate and sell their
wares and it’s certainly not only only city or state that has billiards expos and cue exhibitors. As long as I’m not in CA
when I transact business and instead was in a state does does not restrict ivory sales, it is legally permissible to do it.

BTW, almost ten (10) years SB-398 was introduced in the Nevada Senate to restrict the sale of certain types of ivory.
That piece of legislation has never even gotten out of Committee for any legislative debate in nearly a decade. Some
states will resist the enactment of ivory restrictions as hard and fast as they do resisting new gun control measures. In
other words, passage of restrictions or outright ban of ivory sales has little chance of being enacted in those states.

My cues have lost value as long as I don’t arrange to sell any of them outside of California. However, I can sell them if I am not in CA and I have been offered a lot of money for 2 of my cues in particular late last year. The buyer lived in Las Vegas and was interested in getting my Scruggs and Prewitt cues. The amount discussed was in double digits for both cues and Las Vegas isn’t that far from the Central Valley of CA to drive. And spending a night in LV with a pocketful of cash might be fun. But as most persons know, I don’t sell any of my cues unless it was to get another one. And the only cue I still want is a flat faced ivory Hercek pool cue at a specific weight that I was never able to locate.

Pool cues are not a good investment in general, however, there are exceptions based upon the circumstances of acquisition and terms of sale. Nonetheless, selling pool cues with ivory has become limited to a much more select audience than before depending largely which state you reside. You live in Florida, there is no law restricting intrastate sale of ivory so you can buy and sell cues with lots of ivory any day and every day. And Fla. isn’t the only state like this.

Ivory has appeal for its unique properties when it’s used for cue joints and ferrules. However, for simply design needs, like forearm inlays or cue butts, there are suitable substitute materials since the intended purpose is essentially for decorative design. If I could do my cues over, I’d substitute Mother of Pearl for the ivory inlays but the ferrules and joint would have still remained ivory. If I ever want to sell any of my cues, I’ll make the drive and transact the sale(s) in NV.

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Gold Member
Silver Member
To the very best of my knowledge, as long as the seller & the buyer both reside in a state and not necessarily the same state either, that hasn’t passed legislation restricting ivory, then any ivory ban is inapplicable due to state sovereignty. The vast majority of states in the USA have not yet, and may never, enact restrictions on the sale of ivory. However, there’s been a international ban on ivory for a long time.

I can’t legally sell my cues, buy or trade for any cues that contain ivory, while I am physically within CA’s boundaries. However, I can travel to another state, even for a short duration of a hour, that does not have any ivory restrictions and
sell my cue(s) or acquire any new ones. For example, Las Vegas has cue shows where sellers congregate and sell their
wares and it’s certainly not only only city or state that has billiards expos and cue exhibitors. As long as I’m not in CA
when I transact business and instead was in a state does does not restrict ivory sales, it is legally permissible to do it.

BTW, almost ten (10) years SB-398 was introduced in the Nevada Senate to restrict the sale of certain types of ivory.
That piece of legislation has never even gotten out of Committee for any legislative debate in nearly a decade. Some
states will resist the enactment of ivory restrictions as hard and fast as they do resisting new gun control measures. In
other words, passage of restrictions or outright ban of ivory sales has little chance of being enacted in those states.

My cues have lost value as long as I don’t arrange to sell any of them outside of California. However, I can sell them if I am not in CA and I have been offered a lot of money for 2 of my cues in particular late last year. The buyer lived in Las Vegas and was interested in getting my Scruggs and Prewitt cues. The amount discussed was in double digits for both cues and Las Vegas isn’t that far from the Central Valley of CA to drive. And spending a night in LV with a pocketful of cash might be fun. But as most persons know, I don’t sell any of my cues unless it was to get another one. And the only cue I still want is a flat faced ivory Hercek pool cue at a specific weight that I was never able to locate.

Pool cues are not a good investment in general, however, there are exceptions based upon the circumstances of acquisition and terms of sale. Nonetheless, selling pool cues with ivory has become limited to a much more select audience than before depending largely which state you reside. You live in Florida, there is no law restricting intrastate sale of ivory so you can buy and sell cues with lots of ivory any day and every day. And Fla. isn’t the only state like this.

Ivory has appeal for its unique properties when it’s used for cue joints and ferrules. However, for simply design needs, like forearm inlays or cue butts, there are suitable substitute materials since the intended purpose is essentially for decorative design. If I could do my cues over, I’d substitute Mother of Pearl for the ivory inlays but the ferrules and joint would have still remained ivory. If I ever want to sell any of my cues, I’ll make the drive and transact the sale(s) in NV.
Noooo! Mother of Pearl? Bava please something else for a sub material!!

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Noooo! Mother of Pearl? Bava please something else for a sub material!!

I could substitute Juma….heck, Holly tree wood…….or any white substitute for an inlay. The inlays are purely for
artistic impression if one allows there’s some degree of artistic creation, albeit on a much smaller scale than other
forms of creative expression. Pure and simple it’s for curbside appeal or the way the cue looks.

The other day several of us at the pool hall started discussing cue designs, what looks best, etc. Someone asked me
to pull a few of my cues and naturally, I said they could try them to see how they differed. But before we got to that point, I stated something that is true, at least for me. I don’t look at my cues. I don’t get to see what they look like. Of course, I could and maybe most players do look at their cues. But I don’t.

I look my cue when I take it out and put it together and do the same returning it to my case. In between, the cue is either in my hands even when I am sitting or walking the table to play the next shot. I hold the cue on the wrap and my eyes are focused on the pool balls, not my grip on the cue. When I assume my shooting stance, the only thing. I see is the cue shaft. The cue butt never comes within my vision. When I rack, the cue is placed in a upright position in a cue holder. I don’t look at it, even when it’s my turn to shoot. I grasp the cue by the wrap and walk to the shot. Again, all I get to see is my left bridge hand and the cue shaft. So where am I going with this?

The other day I got to see my cues being used by my pals which I don’t get to see if I play with them. So I got to really
see how they look and I was really pleased too. I thought….that’s a nice looking cue. And if it wasn’t already mine, I’d very likely wonder whom the cue maker was. It was satisfying to see my cues how others see them when all this time I never really see them aside from removing and returning cues to my case. Although any cue may look nice, it does not always mean it plays the same. So ivory inlays do nothing for how a cue plays, nor does a cue’s design or appearance. There’s more involved with the anatomy of a cue than its looks or price. Talented cue makers know it’s more than art.

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have no idea on this one, sorry can’t be of more help. I would start by seeing if the ivory is repairable and cost. It’s a very unique cue. GLWS

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
y'all can talk all day, but i haven't seen anyone give value yet. Please read the heading.
If I'm not mistaken, The cue was made by Ronnie Powell in the Phillipines. If I'm mistaken my apologies in advance. That said, It would not have much cash value. A lot more information would be needed to assess the value since it could be very badly warped or warped but not super bad. finish condition is not always easy to judge from a picture. General specs are important. weight shaft size's etc..
You by the way, added to the Talk with no estimated value just like everyone before you. What would you estimate it at?

Last edited: