Cuemaker keeping a customer's cue

Fuji-whopper

Fargo: 457...play some?
Silver Member
A friend of mine sent in a cue to get authenticated and have some work done to it, they said it was a fake and so they "confiscated" it. Have you ever heard of such a thing?

It's not like they have a patent on the design or technology, EVERYONE copies these particular cues all day every day. What do you think my friend should do?

zy112

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hmmm, thats a pretty sticky situation. You are right the design it not patented, but there name or logo I'm sure is trade marked.

I can tell you if this was my cue I would have a big problem with it being confiscated. If it was mine, and it was deemed fake, I would have them take the name/logo/sig off it, pay for there work, and get my cue back. But I would need some serious proof in deeming it fake.

What was the cues estimated value?

junkbond

The dog ate my stroke.
Silver Member
There's a word for what the cue maker did: it's "theft."
He has no legal right to keep your friend's cue.
Any chance you can tell us who the cue maker is?

Fuji-whopper

Silver Member
Ah fudge, just found out it DID have markings to denote a certain famous cuemaker so they were right to keep it.

Please close this thread Moderators.

sliprock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That guy has no right to your friends cue. He would return it to me or one of us would pack an ass whooping. Or he could be civil and just get the law involved.

zy112

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Little confused now...

did your friend know it was a fake?
where did your friend get the cue?
how much did he pay for it?

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
If the cue is indeed a fake, and the maker's mark is in the butt cap...why can't they just replace the butt cap? If there is a sig in the forearm, why can't they just refinish the forearm and remove the sig?

Lisa

junkbond

The dog ate my stroke.
Silver Member
Ah fudge, just found out it DID have markings to denote a certain famous cuemaker so they were right to keep it.

If the maker or seller of the cue violated any copyright or trademark laws, that is a case for the courts, not for a cue maker. They were NOT right to keep it.

Fuji-whopper

Silver Member
My friend bought the cue as authentic as it was sold to him that way, the previous owner thought it was authentic as well. He sent it to the real cuemaker to have it authenticated and have some work done to it and that's when he was told they were keeping the cue.

I don't blame them really, they have no legal standpoint but I understand. Would I keep it? No, I would find out who is copying the logo and confront them not the poor guy who got taken for a good amount of cash for buying the cue.

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
My friend bought the cue as authentic as it was sold to him that way, the previous owner thought it was authentic as well. He sent it to the real cuemaker to have it authenticated and have some work done to it and that's when he was told they were keeping the cue.

I don't blame them really, they have no legal standpoint but I understand. Would I keep it? No, I would find out who is copying the logo and confront them not the poor guy who got taken for a good amount of cash for buying the cue.

Hey you're in Fla the logo wouldn't look like this would it? -S- *ouch* if it is..

JV

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
Hey you're in Fla the logo wouldn't look like this would it? -S- *ouch* if it is..

JV

Joe, I was wondering the same thing myself. Some people need to remember that when Leon Sly first started out, he was using that same logo on his butt caps. Since this was an infringement of sorts, Leon was provided with a new template/program for the SL logo you see on his cues' butt caps today.

Lisa

Junkyarddog

Kelly
Silver Member
The cue maker should not be able to keep the cue unless a court determines he/she can. If someone counterfeits money it is different because it is a federal offense however this is a civil suit. If the cue maker wanted to photograph the cue and advertise it as a known fake that would be one thing however you don't see a Rolex dealer keeping every fake Rolex that they discover. I'd also be interested to learn if the logo was a registered trademark or not. If it is unregistered the case can be tricky, especially if the logo is as simple as an S. Good luck with it Neil.

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
The cue maker should not be able to keep the cue unless a court determines he/she can. If someone counterfeits money it is different because it is a federal offense however this is a civil suit. If the cue maker wanted to photograph the cue and advertise it as a known fake that would be one thing however you don't see a Rolex dealer keeping every fake Rolex that they discover. I'd also be interested to learn if the logo was a registered trademark or not. If it is unregistered the case can be tricky, especially if the logo is as simple as an S. Good luck with it Neil.

I agree, however if a cuemaker has an interest in prosecuting a known forger, than he should make an agreement with the owner so he can document it and get it "on record". Then return it.

JV

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
I don't blame them really, they have no legal standpoint but I understand.

You and your friend sound like a couple of throw rugs that don't mind being stepped on to be blunt.

The cuemaker has ZERO legal or moral right to keep that cue and he WOULD be returning it to me. I would be making that VERY clear to him.

The only reason he is able to get away with what he is doing is because you are being such a wuss about the whole thing and giving a cuemaker the benefit of the doubt who is 100% in the wrong and has just decided to steal your friends property.

dave sutton

Banned
I would tell the maker to give back the cue and if he doesn't you'll file a police report in with his police. I don't care how famous he is. He has no right to keep the cue. Tell him ask the judge how famous he is... Lol. Bubba won't care how famous he is either. Although in jail he still will be working with wood. Not the good kind either

Thunderball

Auto rep for belly laughs
Silver Member
Damn confusing.

Why does it become his if its fake?

Your buddy is out the cue and the cash paid for it because why again exactly?