Cues on the plane..

kobyp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm planning on going to Vegas this year in May.

I've read on another forum about cues on an airplane, but never got a definitive answer.

Does anyone know if we're allowed to carry them on, there's no way in hell I'd trust those luggage handlers with them.

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
kobyp said:

I've read on another forum about cues on an airplane, but never got a definitive answer.

Does anyone know if we're allowed to carry them on, there's no way in hell I'd trust those luggage handlers with them.

There have been several threads on here regarding air travel with cues.

You may get away with it here and there, depending on the airport, but they are prohibited as carry on items....can't do it.

Kelly

Jack Flanagan

P. T. Barnum was right !
Silver Member
.....uh.....drive there. your a lot closer than we are in Mississippi. our winning teams generally get a "rent-a-wreck" 14 passenger van and drive.

just a thought.......j

Thecoats

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have had no success carrying on cues.

kobyp said:

You can carry on a skateboard and a fly rod in a steel tube but a pool cue is prohibited. I cannot quite understand the logic, anything in the right persons hands can be a weapon.

I see you are from Duncan, is Larry Humphries still betting it up in one pocket?

-don

av84fun

Banned
kobyp said:

There is a huge chance that you will not get through security with pool cues.

There are reinforced cases that protect checked cues. I just adapted a shotgun case into which I put two super cheapo flatish cue cases (for my regular and break cues.)

When you take those into a pool room you will be instantly pegged as a banger so you might get more weight!

Or, you can just put the cues in the gun case. They are held in place with foam..and when you walk into the pool room with that...you will get INSTANT respect!

(-:

DeadPoked

Inadequate User
Silver Member
You should be more worried about Snakes on a Plane than Cues on the plane.

For those that didn't know... this was Samuel L Jackson's first nude scene in a movie...

snakes-on%20-plane-1.jpg

JLCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
kobyp said:

I have gone like the last five years and every year we put them in hard golf bag. It has wheels and is pretty easy to use. You can get four instroke type cases in them. I think three 2x4's and one 3x7. You can't lock it but they have some pretty good latches on them. No damage yet. We were just going to send them to the hotel one year. The hotel said no problem but we went the golf bag route.

Jason

oh ya, ya gotta check em

Last edited:

av84fun

Banned
Thecoats said:
You can carry on a skateboard and a fly rod in a steel tube but a pool cue is prohibited. I cannot quite understand the logic, anything in the right persons hands can be a weapon.

I see you are from Duncan, is Larry Humphries still betting it up in one pocket?

-don

Right! And they let guitars on routinely. I'll take an 8 lb. Fender Strat against some dude with a pool cue and spot 'em the first swing!

If you pay people to pass laws, they will soon pass all the good ones...then procede to pass bad ones...and then procede to pass HORRIBLE ones!!

(-:

David Beck

Let us to Billiards!
Silver Member
DeadPoked said:

For those that didn't know... this was Samuel L Jackson's first nude scene in a movie...

snakes-on%20-plane-1.jpg
Beat me to it. By a whole day.

kobyp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thecoats said:

-don

I haven't seen him playing any one pocket, just 8ball on our BCA league.

kobyp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
av84fun said:
Right! And they let guitars on routinely. I'll take an 8 lb. Fender Strat against some dude with a pool cue and spot 'em the first swing!

If you pay people to pass laws, they will soon pass all the good ones...then procede to pass bad ones...and then procede to pass HORRIBLE ones!!

(-:

I've seen people with guitars, but they were always placed in a designated area. I just wonder if that might be possible, something about delicate luggage....I'm gonna have to do some research on that one.

ScottW

Fo' shizzle!
Silver Member
DeadPoked said:

MEH beat me as well.

And BTW (and I'm conflicted about my knowing this), you see SLJ's bare backside in "Formula 51", a film from a few years ago. :/ A great film if you're into British humor.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Look, it's very simple - You can't carry it with you so you're going to have to check it in. When you check in your luggage (and this is good advice ALL THE TIME), pay attention to what they're doing. Make sure they tag EVERYTHING and LOOK at the tags. Obviously the reason for lost luggage is human error and that's the one moment during the whole process that you can supervise so make sure it's done right. I'm not saying this is all the time but a good percentage of luggage problems can be traced to check-in so make sure they're paying attention. Watch them print out the tags and attach the tags to your bags and review what they've done. It won't eliminate the problem but it'll cut down the chances of something horrible happening immensely.

pawnmon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
on the plane

kobyp said:

I've had this problem in the past. Now I notify the airlines that I'll be transporting a rifle. They make special arrangements for this. They tag your cue case as a firearm and hand carry it to a special compartment, which is usually a small compartment below the cockpit. Upon arrival they hand carry the cue to the baggage claim area and return it to you. Haven't had any airline refuse to do this yet nor have I hand any problems since every employee who touches the "firearm" has to sign for it.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
DeadPoked said:

snakes-on%20-plane-1.jpg

Ewwwwww. Is that his "snake"?
joeyA (seen enough nudity)

skiflyer

something like 6% of bags gets lost at the airport... add in something like flying to an event and the kinds of people who like to snag things off the conveyor belt and I'd strongly suggest you Fedex your cues ahead of you.

Mithril

Registered
Hard golf Case

A few years back three of us flew into Vegas for a BCA nationals event, we used a golf hard case travel bag and just put the cases surrounded by bubble wrap into it. We didn't have any problems, but I wasn't very comfortable with this.
I just recently ordered a cue from Bob Dzuricky and if I was to do the same trip, I would definitely ship it ahead, or check it as a firearm. Last I checked, to declare a firearm you MUST have it in a locked case and it has to be signed for.

Skess

Another sidearmer...
Silver Member
This may be a dumb question, but don't they scan the firearm packages? And when they find out it isn't a gun, is that a problem?