CueSports International (CSI) Podcast: Thursday, March 6, 6:00 PM PST

CSI - Ozzy

Banned
We will conduct a live CSI Podcast this Thursday beginning at 6:00 PM PST / 9:00 PM EST. Mark Griffin (CEO) and Ozzy Reynolds (Manager) will discuss the following topics:

1. US Bar Table Championship Results
2. US Open One-Pocket Results
3. Upcoming CSI Invitational 8-Ball & 10-Ball Championships
4. Select questions from AZBilliards, Facebook, Chat, etc.

If there is any other specific topic that you would like us to discuss, please post it on this thread. We will select several of the best and most appropriate questions/topics to discuss during the broadcast. You are also welcome to join our live chat on Thursday and post your question/comments there. Thank you!

<<Click here to view the CSI live stream channel>>

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
CSI podcast

This will be an opportunity to introduce Ozzy Reynolds to the viewers, also to explain what will be happening in July at our Nationals.

Csi has a lot of irons in the fire and we will try to touch on that a little.

We can also discuss the 18th Jay Swanson event the was in February.

It will be a good show - and opportunity for us to become closer to our members.

So get those comments in !!

Mark Griffin

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Csi podcast

Ozzy has joined team CSI.
He is the new manager- since I am reducing my area of responsibilities, he will be in charge of most things.

Way more info out there but we will cover that on Thursday.

Mark Griffin

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
As I'm almost positive you will continue to use the Magic Rack in your rotation tournaments (I have no problem with that), but are you going to put a stop to the slow break and wired wing ball by moving the rack up with the 9 ball on the spot, 2 ball back of rack, 4"X4" break box, and insist they hit the balls at least 16 MPH?I still enjoy watching the matches because they are race to 5 with alt break, putting both players under pressure to run out. Johnnyt

PS: Probably too much to ask to not allow the jump cue (pussy stick).

Last edited:

PETROBOY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you think that Pro pool should use all of the same rules, equipment and format for all tournaments? such as magic racks, rack your own, jump cues and similar races. this would make the game more uniform overall. I dont think that all tournament directors would go for it but do you think it would be good for pool and make it like other sports and follow the same rules and same equipment. What should be done about pattern racking? is there anyway to stop it?

Bella Don't Cry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CSI:
It has become abundantly clear in recent years that there is a need for a complete overhaul in the way American Pool is viewed, governed, managed and promoted.

Question:
Has CSI ever considered the need to set up a professional American Pool ‘business for promoters’ academy in the same way that sees others developing American pool player academies around the country? To oversee the management of such a project to ensure that innovative, creative future thinkers are sought and brought into an enriched environment of learning to further enhance their business skills and develop the business end of Pool not only in America, but worldwide. And if not; why not? :thumbup:

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We will conduct a live CSI Podcast this Thursday beginning at 6:00 PM PST / 9:00 PM EST. Mark Griffin (CEO) and Ozzy Reynolds (Manager) will discuss the following topics:

If there is any other specific topic that you would like us to discuss, please post it on this thread. We will select several of the best and most appropriate questions/topics to discuss during the broadcast. You are also welcome to join our live chat on Thursday and post your question/comments there. Thank you!

Watched a few days of the 1P Open and Bar Table championships and the streams were great.

1) Will the CSI Invitationals be streamed? Any plans to host additional pro invitationals this year?
2) US Open One Pocket – why did it have such a small turnout?
3) US Open Bar table – why are the 8 Ball matches races to 5 and not to say 7? Races to five sure didn’t seem to take long to have that be a scheduling factor.
4) Any chance of staging a US Open Banks championship? We need more banks!
5) So no plans to have a US Open 14.1, 8 Ball, or 9 Ball any time soon?
6) What do you think it will take to get a WPA championship back on American soil?
7) Are there players other than Rodney that have been outright barred from CSI events? Not talking about people who won’t be invited to the invitationals, but those that have been banned.

Thanks.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
First I would like to say thank you! Ozzy is a real good guy who loves pool and will in my opinion be an asset to the game and organization.

#1. Expansion? BCA pool league is USA based and what plans are there for expansion INTERNATIONALLY??? Seems, that the INTERNATIONAL pro players can assist expansion efforts. The Orcollo/Reyes/Bustamante BCA phillippine pool league! The Appleton/Boyes England BCA pool league! The Ralf Souquet German BCA Pool League.

#2. Do you feel a NAME change may be in order to allow for expansion? APA and BCA are acronyms and by saying America may handcuff expansion efforts! Maybe CSI pool league?

#3. Any plans to have give backs to loyal rooms for years of support and participation. example: Pro player exhibitions/Tournaments/ Training sessions-lessons. You may do these already?

#4. Any plans to support struggling pool rooms by having tournaments/exhibitions/training sessions to help keep the room and leagues alive!

#5. Why no TAR match access codes used as prizes, give aways & etc? TAR is gone now but when alive I never understood the lack of cross marketing with BCA players, BCA league Pool Rooms.

#6. Why no mass email campaigns to ALL members of the BCA pool league regarding TAR matches? No mass emails to other members near the Southern Classic or Derby or other events? Even for a small fee?

#7. Any plans to go young and set up a Kids division or kids league? Maybe partner with Girls Scouts or Boy Scouts?

Sincerely
KD
Mike Wilson

Last edited:

CSI - Ozzy

Banned
Thanks

KD:

First, thank you for the kind words! Secondly, thanks for the great questions. I'm sure that we will address some of them on Thursday night.

Keep the questions/comments coming, folks!

4togger4

Topic to Discuss(?)

In the amateur arena, why do we flip a coin to determine the first break? Why don't we lag for the break like the pros do?

There have been many times in a race to 3 that I lost a flip, giving me a 50/50 chance of losing a quick race do to a coin flip. If I had at least been able to perform a pool shot (the lag), win or lose, I would feel that it was more of sporting chance to gain the short race advantage, than a chance toss of a coin.

Some of the lame excuses I have heard from tournament directors on why they don't insist upon a lag shot versus a coin flip is: "It slows the game down". What???? By how much.... 4 seconds?

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Will the CSI podcasts be available for later viewing, like the TAR podcasts? Icannot listen to them "live", as I'm playing pool then...

Thanks for continuing them, Mark and Ozzy.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CSI:
It has become abundantly clear in recent years that there is a need for a complete overhaul in the way American Pool is viewed, governed, managed and promoted.

Question:
Has CSI ever considered the need to set up a professional American Pool ‘business for promoters’ academy in the same way that sees others developing American pool player academies around the country? To oversee the management of such a project to ensure that innovative, creative future thinkers are sought and brought into an enriched environment of learning to further enhance their business skills and develop the business end of Pool not only in America, but worldwide. And if not; why not? :thumbup:

and you think something like this could be profitable? Or do you want Mark to spend his money to teach his competition how to beat him?

Bella Don't Cry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
and you think something like this could be profitable? Or do you want Mark to spend his money to teach his competition how to beat him?

I think the question was put towards CSI who would be in a better position to answer. How CSI spends its money is their business.
Plus it's not 'competition' when you own it :thumb up:

As for profits;
I'm no genius but wouldn't it be more profitable to have a greater number of promoters, promoting pool events than there currently is today?
Imagine boxing / music industries if it only had low level promoters.

Last edited:

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A repost from the Free or PPV thread.

Just some ideas.
I think maybe for the league players to get to know the pros it would be a good thing say in the APA to give out free PPV's to certain events or maybe free passes to video on demand of certain tournaments to try and generate some interest and excitement with in the leagues and league players this way.

Maybe even a small discount for the pro player on the entry fee, or even have certain tournaments where it is mandatory that the pro player has do 3 or 5 or whatever amount of meet and greet and exhibition, or question and answer type seminars with the leagues to even be allowed to play in the tournament on top of the paid entry fee.

This would be like a snow ball rolling down a hill effect after a while especially when you have a bunch of pros doing it. But if the pros do this it will only help spark new interest in the leagues and the league owners should kick some money into the pro tournaments after a while, or at least help with the expenses of the pros doing this as it benefits their leagues as well.

You could even have some type of pro-am tournaments, they have big pro-am tournaments in bowling before the start of the pro tournament. Where the amateurs are paired with different pros and the amateurs score paired with the pros score determines the winner of the event.

This gives the amateurs a reason to root for the pros and hopefully that bond carries over into the pro tournaments and all of a sudden you have fans. Of coarse they'd have to figure out some type of event and scoring system where this would work.

Just some ideas I know that Mark (CSI) is going to be doing something in the Invitationals where each pro has to work with the amateurs for a t least an hour. I think that is a great idea to generate interest and start to create that fan player bond a sport needs to create fans.

Marc

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
CSI Podcast

Hi Mark,

This is Marc from CO,

about your Invitational Pro events, -have you thought about the idea of reserving some spots (even if it's only 1 or 2) for qualifiers.

I don't doubt you will put a great field of 16 of the top players in the world in every Pro Invitational you produce for years to come, but isn't it a bit anti-democratic for other Pros to not have a chance at all to ever enter your events?

Not to mention,it could be a good way to bring some money to the main event.

I think satellite qualifiers throughout the year,to qualify for a bigger 1-day single elimination qualifier in Vegas right before the Main event; or even a series of qualifiers around the big cities throughout the country would be great.

It could even be on top of an establish Open regional event,with added money by the tour or Open tournament.

Thank you

MississaugaFats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bump for the cause

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: