Cyclop, Super Aramith, or Centennial Balls?

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For me it's simple. It's all about the cueball. Cyclops cueballs are different than the rest of the set. The white is almost translucent. Pick it up and rub the surface. Feels porous and grabs the cloth hard. This is the action that drives me crazy. I expect the ball to take off in a specific tangent and then react to the spin where the Cyclops balls tend to grab almost simultaneously.

I like to use inside and I find they throw less than expected, I suspect this is because the swerve counteracts the squirt.

Replace cueball we quality ball and they play fine. My attitude is just buy from someone who can get it right without me tweaking...Aramith.

Nick, they have a new CB, the red dot -- it is less translucent and yes they were having trouble with the Cyclop logo -- the red dot plays pretty good IMO and you should give it a try.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow......you seem really into your balls.

Honestly though. You must be the closest thing to a pool ball expert I've heard of.

It seems to me the Cyclops react differently to cut shots than the Aramith Pro.
That's not to say I couldn't get used to it and would think the reverse at some point.
But since most pros and tournaments I play in use Aramith and they seem to be the standard to which other pool balls are measured, a zero point if you will, I went with those.
No regrets whatsoever.

The Cyclop balls are smoother and harder and produced to higher weight and diameter tolerances and probably have a higher coefficient of restitution than other balls. So, some pro players have commented that they throw more cleanly and consistently.

I have been personally told by the folks at Diamond that the Cyclop balls have a higher resin content than other sets (85% v 57-58%), which makes them harder, and subsequently, can be polished to a finer finish. That would be why they stay cleaner longer and less prone to pick up crap from the table, other balls, and cue tip. I have also been told that the weight tolerances of the Cyclop sets coming out of the factory are tighter than other sets.

Lou Figueroa

JAMSGOLF

Golf & Pool-I'm addicted!
Silver Member
I've been playing Centennials for years. I just ordered a set of Cyclops that should be here this week...so I'm following this thread pretty closely. I'm not sure if I'd be qualified enough to know the differences about which people are posting, but I'll see if I can chime in when I get them and get a chance to play with them for a few days. :embarrassed2:

saint1

saint1
Silver Member
Ball sets

Wow......you seem really into your balls.

Honestly though. You must be the closest thing to a pool ball expert I've heard of.

It seems to me the Cyclops react differently to cut shots than the Aramith Pro.
That's not to say I couldn't get used to it and would think the reverse at some point.
But since most pros and tournaments I play in use Aramith and they seem to be the standard to which other pool balls are measured, a zero point if you will, I went with those.
No regrets whatsoever.

I agree 100% on the cut shot comment. I wouldn't put a set on my table if they were free and I was paid to use them!

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have also been told that the weight tolerances of the Cyclop sets coming out of the factory are tighter than other sets.

Aramiths are usually matched to 1gr (gramm). The weight of a ball should be 170gr, but no less than 156gr. That's why you do matching sets in general.

Carom balls have a regulated tolerance of no more than 2gr, but they are heavier (between 205 and 220gr) and bigger (61,5mm).

I'd say that's pretty OK as far as tolerances go :)

Still am curious about the cyclops balls, but have never seen them in Germany as of yet. Pool halls usually do the premium or premier sets, and they are worn.
That's why I have a personal set (Super Aramith Pro Cup TVs).

Cheers,
M

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been playing Centennials for years. I just ordered a set of Cyclops that should be here this week...so I'm following this thread pretty closely. I'm not sure if I'd be qualified enough to know the differences about which people are posting, but I'll see if I can chime in when I get them and get a chance to play with them for a few days. :embarrassed2:

I like Centennials too and have owned a set, but my set got chipped up a bit by a bad table install (tack heads in the pockets) and I sold them.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree 100% on the cut shot comment. I wouldn't put a set on my table if they were free and I was paid to use them!

I suppose it depends on whether you plan on playing in the DCC or perhaps a CSI tournament -- some huge events. If you are, then you'd want to get a little time with them beforehand. If you're just playing on your basement table, then not.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aramiths are usually matched to 1gr (gramm). The weight of a ball should be 170gr, but no less than 156gr. That's why you do matching sets in general.

Carom balls have a regulated tolerance of no more than 2gr, but they are heavier (between 205 and 220gr) and bigger (61,5mm).

I'd say that's pretty OK as far as tolerances go :)

Still am curious about the cyclops balls, but have never seen them in Germany as of yet. Pool halls usually do the premium or premier sets, and they are worn.
That's why I have a personal set (Super Aramith Pro Cup TVs).

Cheers,
M

One thing I've learned over the years is that one of the skills a decent player must have in his toolbox is the ability to adjust to different equipment.

Fast tables, slow tables, loose pockets, tight pockets, GC, Diamond, red circle CB, measles CB, Aramiths, Cyclop, and so on.

Sure, we all have preferences. But it's a big bad world out there. You need to know how to adjust :)

Lou Figueroa

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
What ever happened to the Beautiful Elephant Balls? :shrug: :grinning-moose:

Did the Iszy replace them?

Can't believe that people would actually like or use them. But I guess they are for those that want a table more for cosmetics and decoration to try to impress others than being serious about pool.

I don't know why there is all of this discussion when there is site that already did and evaluated the balls:

https://wiki.ezvid.com/best-pool-ba...ClLqt_wid4UQTeX0ZX4qQgxekXOAbI7yo4aAr6Q8P8HAQ. 😱:thumbup::rotflmao1:

🎱

Last edited:

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
I like them all but out of the three I like Cents the best. I was surprised with how well the cyclop balls played at the expo last year.

JAMSGOLF

Golf & Pool-I'm addicted!
Silver Member

Can't believe that people would actually like or use them. But I guess they are for those that want a table more for cosmetics and decoration to try to impress others than being serious about pool.

I don't know why there is all of this discussion when there is site that already did and evaluated the balls:

https://wiki.ezvid.com/best-pool-ba...ClLqt_wid4UQTeX0ZX4qQgxekXOAbI7yo4aAr6Q8P8HAQ. 😱:thumbup::rotflmao1:

🎱

Years ago, I ordered a set of Elephant Balls for a coin op table. I got a free hat that said "Elephant Balls" on it. It fit really well and I liked to wear it around home. I would occasionally forget which hat I had on when I'd head downtown...I don't know how many disgusted looks I got from people before I'd realize I had that hat on... :embarrassed2:

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
Years ago, I ordered a set of Elephant Balls for a coin op table. I got a free hat that said "Elephant Balls" on it. It fit really well and I liked to wear it around home. I would occasionally forget which hat I had on when I'd head downtown...I don't know how many disgusted looks I got from people before I'd realize I had that hat on... :embarrassed2:

That reminds me of the Seinfeld episode about Kramer being the a$$ man.

I know what you mean about wearing a hat and forgetting about it. One guy I worked with always made a paper printers cap (it was made by folding a page of the newspaper into a box) to wear while at work. I worked at Cadillac and many of the employees bought executive cars on the resale lot. This guy had one and one day driving home he said everyone was looking at him and smiling, laughing and etc and he said that he would smile back thinking that it must be a fantastic day as everyone is in a good mood. When he got home he seen that he was still wearing the paper cap

🎱.

jaetee

rack master ;)
Silver Member
One other thing:

The CYCLOP ball sets play significantly cleaner then every other ball set - hands down. Especially the cue ball. You will not see much of any chalk sticking to it, yet you will still get amazing cue ball action from whichever chalk you do use.

Want to see a huge difference in how your beloved Centennials resist scuff marks and stay significantly cleaner - and thus way fewer skids? Use one of the CYCLOP cue balls with the rest of your Centennials (yes, similar cue ball weight) and be amazed. Not spotless for the most part like the entire Cyclop Sets stay, but a huge, notable difference. IMO.

I have a Raschig 16 ball set that I brought back from Germany back in my Air Force days. They seem to exhibit the same resistance to scuffs, dirt and chalk as you mention for the Cyclop balls. I had a 9-ball set with no numbers on them as well, but sold them off due to the fact that I had the full set as well...

Have you ever played with Raschig? I'd love to hear what you have to say about those...

Corwyn_8

Energy Curmudgeon
Silver Member
Can't believe that people would actually like or use them.

Elephant balls have the advantage of having a random design on the surface which makes it easier for some people to focus on them, or on a specific point on them.

Why do you think people wouldn't like them? Not everyone is a traditionalist.

Thank you kindly.

Captain18

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What balls you buy should depend on your future intentions.... as in If you plan on going to Bca nationals you should buy the cyclops because that Is what you play with during that tournament...if you are planning on playing Apa or napa then get aramith...
Seems to help if you practice with what you will play with as aramith and Cyclops do react differently..... if you are a lower speed player you wont notice it as much as a higher speed player who moves the cueball more and higher degrees of English.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a Raschig 16 ball set that I brought back from Germany back in my Air Force days. They seem to exhibit the same resistance to scuffs, dirt and chalk as you mention for the Cyclop balls. I had a 9-ball set with no numbers on them as well, but sold them off due to the fact that I had the full set as well...

Have you ever played with Raschig? I'd love to hear what you have to say about those...

I have played with the Raschig balls, but the set was in poor condition mainly from the table it was being played on. The owner of the table couldn't figure out how his prized Raschig balls were getting so many "defects" and nicks in them - except for the cue ball which was mostly free of scratches but far from clean. This was easy I told him and we inspected his pocket openings -- sure enough, we found the culprit(s). Just enough of a nail head or two exposed in almost every pocket that over time had pulled out slightly. An older over-sized GANDY drop pocket model.

So, I haven't had a fair chance to really play and evaluate or compare either the full 16 ball Raschigs or the 9 ball set ----- I have been patiently waiting to find a set of each that someone would like to pass along to the next caretaker to add to my collection.

Anyone have either Raschig set in mint to excellent condition they'd like to part with?

CMarshall

D player at best
Silver Member
I'm looking to get a new set of balls that play well. Which do you all prefer and why? Thanks for any input....

I just decided (because I'm crazy) to get all three sets…I know, i'm nuts…I bought one set a year for the last 4 years. Not all at once, there's NO WAY I could explain that to my wife!

I honestly don't have a preference, I'm not good enough to be able to tell the difference?

I like how the Centennials look though…also, I prefer using a measle ball

img_1739.jpg

The 4th set is a set (at the bottom of the stack) is a set of reds & yellows that a buddy of mine sent me from the UK.

Last edited:

jb1911

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just got a set of the new Tournament Duramith balls by Aramith. I love the way they look! Like big jewels. They play great too, love the sound at contact. I've only played maybe 10 racks so far, but no chalk stains on the cue ball. I was playing with a set of Centennials with the red Aramith cue ball logo. The Duramith cue ball has a black Aramith logo. So far I have no complaints.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just for grins, with folks talking about which balls for this or which balls for that, here is a collection photo of mine for a game I created for all the Eight Ball friends of mine that insist it's the best game - and no, I'm not arguing that fact 😬 - it involves 21 different 8 balls from 21 different sets with a special set of game rules of course - super brief overview, involves pocketing any 10 eight balls on your SIDE of the table (3 pockets) then the game winning Aramith Gold 8 ball on the same side of the table. Name: KRazy Eight Ball of course.

Here is the pic with the correct balls identified to give everyone an idea of style and design differences between a few popular sets

Balls each row from top left:
1. Aramith Premium; Aramith Great White; NFL Referee; Aramith Reverse; Brunswick Centennial
2. Eagle Eye Striped; Aramith Continental; Elephant Stars & Stripes; Aramith Special USA; Vigma Diamond
3. Super Aramith PRO; McDermott Galaxy; Aramith Stone; Crown Games Poker; Cyclop TV
4. Vigma Hearts; Aramith Crown Standard; Modern Red Circle; Aramith Camouflage; Aramith Tournament
5. Cyclop Standard cue ball; Aramith Gold Eight Ball

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1454685629.124515.jpg

Last edited: