Cyclop, Super Aramith, or Centennial Balls?

ElLeon

Headshot
Silver Member
My preference is the centennials and for a reason not stated previously in this thread.

I dislike 1/2 of the striped balls being pure white. Aesthetically having the numbers "floating" in the white portion of the stripes looks fantastic to me.

That being said, the new Tournament balls have much crisper production on the black lettering and circle around the numbers. Centennials seem a bit out of focus when viewed up close.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I think the cue ball from the super aramith set feels a tad heavier no matter what spec sheets say

The hit between it and the measle ball is different to me

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
I'm thinking of Cyclop, Brunswick Centennial, or Super Aramith Pro....

There's really two choices there since aside from the graphics the Super Aramith Pros and the Centennials are the same balls.

I've not played the Cyclops but I've read quite mixed reviews. Not very many players don't like the other two sets.

My preference is the centennials and for a reason not stated previously in this thread.

I dislike 1/2 of the striped balls being pure white. Aesthetically having the numbers "floating" in the white portion of the stripes looks fantastic to me...

I'd sort of agree with this. The reason I prefer the unbroken stripe of the Cents is it allows one to spot a ball with the stripe along the equator and leaves no graphic aiming reference for the shooter. I go back a way admittedly to a time when we spotted balls in 9 Ball, but it still has applications in straight pool and one hole. :wink:

I have the Tournaments and they are also a great ball.

Last edited:

GrayBeard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's really two choices there since aside from the graphics the Super Aramith Pros and the Centennials are the same balls.

I've seen this comparison before and it always makes me wonder; if they are essentially the same ball,
why do the Centennials seem to sell for anywhere from $50-$100 more than the Super Aramith Pros. That was
actually one of the factors that helped me decide to buy the Super Aramith Pros even though I prefer the looks
of the Centennials.

IbeAnEngineer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a set of both the Cyclop (skittle colors) and the Centennial balls. I prefer the Centennial but the Cyclop are excellent balls also. I switch out between the two sets as a change of pace/practice now and then.

dearnold

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They are all good. I've read that the pros prefer the Aramith Tournament. Some prefer the graphics of one over the other. One other thing I would throw out there is that Centennials seem to command a premium resale value over the Aramith Super Pros from what I have seen on eBay. I think there are more old timers out there attached to the dart design that are willing to cough up some more money for a nice set of used Centennials. . .if resale at some point is a concern for you.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I think the skittle ball's are really ugly on top of the complaints
No ones complaining about aramith

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kinda surprised no one has mentioned the new red dot Cyclop CB in use at the Derby this year.

Lou Figueroa

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I dislike 1/2 of the striped balls being pure white. Aesthetically having the numbers "floating" in the white portion of the stripes looks fantastic to me.

That being said, the new Tournament balls have much crisper production on the black lettering and circle around the numbers. Centennials seem a bit out of focus when viewed up close.

This^^^.. having the numbers in the stripe with solid white sides doesn't look right to me... and I prefer the classic 'darted' look of the numbers. Chiclets balls look like toys to me.

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm looking to get a new set of balls that play well. Which do you all prefer and why? Thanks for any input....

Super Aramith all the way.
I've had mine for years and they are amazing.
Also have a set that I take with me when I play at local place and
I find them better than the Cyclops in the sense that they seem to
react in a more predictable manner. The Cyclops are - FOR ME -
more all over the place.
Unlike some of the Cyclops they also roll straight...lol

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
I've seen this comparison before and it always makes me wonder; if they are essentially the same ball,
why do the Centennials seem to sell for anywhere from $50-$100 more than the Super Aramith Pros. That was
actually one of the factors that helped me decide to buy the Super Aramith Pros even though I prefer the looks
of the Centennials.

The Centennials are made for Brunswick by Saluc. I can only venture a guess that the reason they sell for more is because Brunswick sets a higher wholesale price for them than Saluc does for the Super Aramith Pros.

This is from the Saluc website:

As the top of the line, the Super Aramith PRO set distinguishes itself by its beautiful design and numbers and the maximized in-depth vitrification of its More importantly, it is a fully matched professional set, where precise calibration of each ball guarantees maximum consistency within the set. The Super Aramith PRO also exists in the Centennial design produced for Brunswick.

Yeah, the first sentence is incomplete but that's the quote.
Here's the link to the page: http://www.saluc.com/html/about-saluc.php

Last edited:

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it's somewhat interesting and borderline humorous to see so many different opinions on the way certain sets of balls play and react differently - often vastly different - amongst forum members and the "big three": Aramith, Centennials and the Cyclop.

As an avid collector and player of almost every "modern" playable ball set made in the last 4 decades, I have conducted informal yet exacting comparisons between these big three players and even between sets of the same balls from the same manufacturer. Yes, I am using calibrated scales weighing down to the 1/1000th of a gram using a special ball tare - an electronic caliper to the same exacting calibration and even examining the balls under magnification. I have documented stimpmeter roll testing on every Simonis and Championship cloth, at various humidity and temperature differences. Super accurate slo-motion video of ball collisions and even rolling experiments. Scientific? Laboratory conditions? No. But darned close. Close enough that 99% of the things that people "think" they see and actually report on this forum like skids and elasticity and collision reaction times, etc, etc simply aren't there. What are you guys seeing? Dirty, chalky balls? Inconsistent hit balls? Off-center cue ball hits imparting swerves, throw or whatever else you get with a poorly hit cue ball? What in the world are you all seeing and supposedly experiencing that those of us NEVER see and cannot even come close to replicating when we are actually trying to find issues or problems or differences?

Beats me.

Here's what I think when someone like the OP asks which set of balls should they get.......I say get as many as you can! Like your cues. Like the nonstop, ongoing search for the perfect chalk or glove or cue case.

Start with the set that you LOVE - or the set that is identical to the ball set that you play in league or tournaments with. Then add to your collection. And play with them. Clean them before every table session so the consistency is always there. Especially the cue balls. Want to re-enact the days when you played with "pops" down at the smokey pool hall - get out the Centennials! Want to experience the latest tournament action you see on YouTube - get out the always impressive Cyclop set. Want to make it look like you're a smart, savvy and common sense kind of guy when the wife is around - get out those amazing Aramith Crown Standards that have the ball numbers floating in white similar to the Centennials at 1/5 the cost! By the way - those crown standards have tighter tolerances than any Centennial set I've ever measured......just saying.

For grins, here are pics of the sets mentioned so far I this thread from my collection for closer scrutiny and comparison for the OP..... hoping something here made sense and will possibly help you on your path to that perfect set of balls.

Oh - one more thing. Spend the money and get an Aramith or similar ball case to carry your beloved ball set to whenever you may play. The balls are worth caring for and a case will protect your investment and the balls. IMO.

CYCLOP Standard colors below:

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1454181954.125938.jpg

ARAMITH Premiums (blue logo cue ball) below:

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1454182105.389057.jpg

Super ARAMITH Pro (red logo cue ball) below:

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1454182196.775549.jpg

ARAMITH Tournaments (black logo cue ball) below:

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1454182252.827763.jpg

ARAMITH Crown Standards (no logo cue ball) below:

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1454182297.463022.jpg

Two other sets to follow this post.

Last edited:

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One other thing:

The CYCLOP ball sets play significantly cleaner then every other ball set - hands down. Especially the cue ball. You will not see much of any chalk sticking to it, yet you will still get amazing cue ball action from whichever chalk you do use.

Want to see a huge difference in how your beloved Centennials resist scuff marks and stay significantly cleaner - and thus way fewer skids? Use one of the CYCLOP cue balls with the rest of your Centennials (yes, similar cue ball weight) and be amazed. Not spotless for the most part like the entire Cyclop Sets stay, but a huge, notable difference. IMO.