Darren Appleton Video: "Banned! My Story"

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Thanks for posting... I think it's great Darren is owning the situation, even though he thinks the Matchroom's portion of the punishment is harsh. I happen to agree with him.

I hope he uses the time to grow even stronger and crushes the next events he takes part in.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
After watching that video, do you think a warning would have made any difference to him? He would have laughed that off. He is not laughing now. Probably the best would have been a warning along with a fine.
I do think the odd percentage based fine of 25% rather odd. Like Darren pointed out. What if we won the event...?

$1,500 hurts a pool players pocket. $15,000 is down right insane.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
27 minutes of broken sentences and little to nothing said to make anything clear, at least to me of what he is trying to convey.

if he was apologizing the the public it wasn't clear, or was he apologizing to his sponsors so do they dont abandon him which they should after this.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He should ask for clarification as to the process and procedure by which they select people for their drug tests. Players should get together and elect a representative to be present for all such tests and to appeal any decisions like this.

Reactions: JAM

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
U-Tube is in hammer mode, removing lots of content, and shutting down channels.

Two people I follow their Videos, both got hammered, and left U-tube for RUMBLE.

Their crime was reviewing Cigars, Cigar Cutters, Cigar Lighters.

Apparently U-Tube wants to be Net Mommy.
YouTube went mainstream a few years ago. It’s mostly garbage now

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
27 minutes of broken sentences and little to nothing said to make anything clear, at least to me of what he is trying to convey.

if he was apologizing the the public it wasn't clear, or was he apologizing to his sponsors so do they dont abandon him which they should after this.
I thought he just spoke from the heart rather than strategically. He basically said he acted like an a..hole because of a tough loss followed immediately by a random drug test, swore at a couple people, and said he was wrong but thought the punishment was too severe.

I’m just wondering what Matchroom would have done if Earl had played in the Mosconi Cup - there’s no way he could have controlled himself!

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
He should ask for clarification as to the process and procedure by which they select people for their drug tests. Players should get together and elect a representative to be present for all such tests and to appeal any decisions like this.

That's what every other pro sport does and maybe the sort of thing Darren was thinking about when he helped start that players group a few months ago (PPA?).

DeeDeeCues

He should have gotten a warning. Not a suspension or a fine. That video breaks my heart. He was holding back the emotion. You could see how this hurt him. Free Darren!

Warnings are bs. Start out harsh and the problems will end. He was the only one in control of his actions and he paid for it.

middleofnowhere

Registered
I do think the odd percentage based fine of 25% rather odd. Like Darren pointed out. What if we won the event...?

$1,500 hurts a pool players pocket. $15,000 is down right insane.
If they are making up rules as they go along that's is not good either. I have employed a lot of people over the years. I was a bad boss. I never really let people know what I expected of them. I would let things go till I blew up, then overact. This stuff has to be in stone and inforced fairly.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He should have gotten a warning. Not a suspension or a fine. That video breaks my heart. He was holding back the emotion. You could see how this hurt him. Free Darren!
A warning is all he deserved.

Darren Appleton carrys himself better than most pros.

He is a stand-up guy on and off the table.

I wish he was in a position to tell them to shove it.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Too many fragile PC people

I’m not going to say much about this.

I will say that DA has had a rough last few years, I knew that. And I was happy to see him doing well again. He’s a fierce competitor who shins the best on the big stage under the lights. He deals with pressure good as any top player. I’m confident he will be back stronger than ever and I’m looking forward to that. He is a man of passion, conviction and is tough as nails.

That’s all I got, I’ve said all I’m going to on this one.

Best
Fatboy

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just to make sure I understand as I had to watch it at very low volume...So the WPA hands down a punishment, MR decides it is not harsh enough and tacks on an additional suspension that puts him out of 2 or 3 big (potentially lucrative) tournaments, which will likely squash any chance he had at making the MC, which is another big payday.

I am not sure I understand why MR wouldn't just let WPA handle the punishment part....

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought he just spoke from the heart rather than strategically. He basically said he acted like an a..hole because of a tough loss followed immediately by a random drug test, swore at a couple people, and said he was wrong but thought the punishment was too severe.

I’m just wondering what Matchroom would have done if Earl had played in the Mosconi Cup - there’s no way he could have controlled himself!
I was just thinking the same thing- unless they put a muzzle on Earl, there is no way he would be able to follow such rules