Darren Appleton Video: "Banned! My Story"

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Totally crazy to test during tournaments.
My other half compared it to Tiger Woods going from the 17th to the 18th hole and having the golf authorities pull him aside and ask for a urine test. You just don't do this to a competitor during the heat of the battle. Whoever the WPA independent contractor, subcontractor, or staff is that administers these tests, they are the ones who should be fined and suspended—or better yet, fired.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So are you suggesting a threshold of some sort? Twelve people is okay, but thirteen isn't, maybe?
No.
i am just saying that to me the added punishment by match room on top of the wpa punishment was excessive and far more punitive than the actions by darren

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My other half compared it to Tiger Woods going from the 17th to the 18th hole and having the golf authorities pull him aside and ask for a urine test. You just don't do this to a competitor during the heat of the battle. Whoever the WPA independent contractor, subcontractor, or staff is that administers these tests, they are the ones who should be fined and suspended—or better yet, fired.
Right.

So any random tests should take place the day before or players could submit a screening result from their local clinic. Doping is a none issue in modern cue sports.

Almost a joke, but not funny what happened to Darren...

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Right.

So any random tests should take place the day before or players could submit a screening result from their local clinic. Doping is a none issue in modern cue sports.

Almost a joke, but not funny what happened to Darren...

And if the concern is players showing up wasted, Matchroom can (and should) enforce that under their code of conduct independent of any testing.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
My other half compared it to Tiger Woods going from the 17th to the 18th hole and having the golf authorities pull him aside and ask for a urine test. You just don't do this to a competitor during the heat of the battle.
Hard to argue against that...

Although the actual testees (lol) may be random. The point at which the testers will pull them aside is not, (last 16). Attempting to shoe horn testing between rounds in the manner they did, is quite literally bad sportmanship. I don't understand why a gap entering into the last 16 cannot be scheduled. Either you get to enjoy an extended break or have adequate time to perform the random test.

Definitely an opprotunity for improvement.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hell yeah they are. And the drugs are better these days. Micro dosing shrooms and acid. Super strong weed, wax, dabs. And stuff I never heard of (I heard of it I can’t remember what the names are). Opiates……

I’ve never been a drug user, but I’m not blind. I know loads of kids 18-25 that use rec drugs, I don’t-I like my brain. But to think people are using less is naive.

I’m not promoting drugs, but the war in drugs Nixon started failed lol.
I agree completely. When you consider the cost of illegal drugs has dropped and at the same time the strength has increased combined with population growth it becomes clearer.

On top of that you need to know how many are on legal drugs such as opioid and a host of other substances. The numbers go up even further... We have not even consider alcohol as well!

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And if the concern is players showing up wasted, Matchroom can (and should) enforce that under their code of conduct independent of any testing.

it's not just matchroom, this is all WPA events. the first one darren was tested at was at the CSI/predator 10-ball in vegas. i'm pretty sure the TD's are glad the WPA handles the testing so they themselves don't have to constantly ensure the sobriety of a field of 256 or 128 players.

the thresholds for THC are too low in my opinion, but that's another issue. the main problem here is the methods, which obviously were disruptive for the player. one can suspect they know very little about pool if they directly approached a guy who just lost 11-10 in the latter stages of a major tournament. i really feel sorry for darren here, despite the outburst. i hope this doesn't effect his sponsors, he has videos with millions views on his youtube channel and he's always displaying his sponsors.

benjaminwah

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They have to be better about working with the athletes. The athletes are why they exist. If they can’t coordinate better with them they need new leadership/management It’s contradictory to have a mission to make the sport better when you are disrupting a player’s mindset when they are in a groove. That’s the height of what makes these people like Darren so amazing.

Never knew about the Mike DeChaine incident. Surprised Shane didn’t do the same to him for when he tried to out him as a pedophile….

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
it's not just matchroom, this is all WPA events. the first one darren was tested at was at the CSI/predator 10-ball in vegas. i'm pretty sure the TD's are glad the WPA handles the testing so they themselves don't have to constantly ensure the sobriety of a field of 256 or 128 players.

the thresholds for THC are too low in my opinion, but that's another issue. the main problem here is the methods, which obviously were disruptive for the player. one can suspect they know very little about pool if they directly approached a guy who just lost 11-10 in the latter stages of a major tournament. i really feel sorry for darren here, despite the outburst. i hope this doesn't effect his sponsors, he has videos with millions views on his youtube channel and he's always displaying his sponsors.

Agreed. It is why most pro sports (or college) do not apply WADA testing protocols outside of Olympic competition. It's overkill and disruptive. And you've seen most sports are moving away from even testing for weed (UFC, NBA, etc).

VVP

Registered
Not sure which video sjm watched to conclude that Darren owned up to being "combative." I thought Darren made the point many times that he DID NOT threaten anyone so he certainly couldn't have been combative.

I think Darren is 100% right that Matchroom suspension above and beyond the WPA penalty was far too excessive.

One has to wonder if the MC was played in England this year if Darren would have been prevented from playing in the UK open, which in effect guarantees him not gaining enough points to make team Europe this year. With Jason Shaw a shoo-in maybe MR made a business decision to dump Darren in favor of saving the spot for a European from another country?? Problem is England has to be it's largest TV audience so I can't wrap my head around the decision.

As someone pointed out, MR went all out to get Earl last year after his confrontation with Hunter but yet severely penalized Darren for cussing and being rude, which he apologized for THE SAME DAY after getting a chance to calm down. It just boggles the mind.

Anyway, I am willing to bet that Darren will not lose ANY sponsor. People have brains to see through this fiasco.

Last edited:

VVP

Registered
For the mathematicians out there, what's the probability of being picked twice in a row if 4 out of 16 are chosen each time? 1/625?

To me, the picking has to be more transparent and done in public by random draw. Just don't sneak up on someone and tell them you are a winner...twice 😁😁

DeeDeeCues

This is complicated.

If you specifically want the odds of anyone being selected twice, it is 1/16 if all of the final sixteen are the same.

For a specific player, you need to figure the odds of them even making the final sixteen, which varies. Then you also need to figure the odds of them making back-to-back finals. Then you can figure the random odds.

For Darren, in in this case, he was 25% once her made the finals.

VVP

Registered
This is complicated.

If you specifically want the odds of anyone being selected twice, it is 1/16 if all of the final sixteen are the same.

For a specific player, you need to figure the odds of them even making the final sixteen, which varies. Then you also need to figure the odds of them making back-to-back finals. Then you can figure the random odds.

What's the probability of a player being selected twice in a row if 4 out of 16 are chosen in each event and the player made the top 16 in both event?

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member

This guy’s math is waaaaaaaay better 👍