DC Area Cue Alert!! (Reward)

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know there's a lot of DC area people who read AZB, so hopefully someone can help out a friend of mine who managed to leave his cues and case behind when he left the pool hall on Thursday night. He's a well-known and widely respected old-time shooter (*everybody* I know in DC knows him, and no one has anything but the best to say about him) and he's had the cue for 25+ years and would really like to get it back.

The missing case is tan, textured leather (It's George, I think) and the cues are an old Scruggs (possibly a Joss, see this post) and a Bob Frey sneaky pete. They were last seen in Adams Morgan in Washington, DC on Thursday night.

I figure whoever found them most likely has no idea what he found. But if the finder wants to get information on the what he found, and what they're worth, he'll have to ask around in a poolhall. And that's where I'm hoping one of you comes in. Please keep an eye out for these cues! If you shoot in DC, Shirlington, Rockville, Laurel, Silver Spring, Manassas, Arlington, Fairfax, Springfield, Sterling, even Baltimore, ... maybe you could ask the regulars to keep an eye out as well.

The size of the reward is negotiable, but substantial, and no questions asked.

Please PM me if you've seen or heard anything about these cues. Also PM me if you want my phone number to keep on hand in case you see these cues (I'd rather not post my phone number).

Thanks!

Cory

P.S. The best ideas I could come up with are posting here, Craigslist's lost + found, and checking pawn shops. If anyone has any other ideas for how to track these cues down, please let me know.

Last edited:

CaptainHook

NOT Mike Sigel
Silver Member
The House man does not have them behind the counter?
Maybe it is a bad area, but around here, they would just get put behind the counter til you came back. Unless someone sneaked them out, but they still have to pass the House man to get out? I would ask around.
Do they have a Cocktail waitress that works the floor? they usually pick up leave behinds and take them up to the house man.:(

If the house does not have it, go back on the same night next week and see what you can find out.

Also check some of the other Pool halls or bars that have Pool tables.
And see if you can spot it. If it is a bad area, best to go with someone who has hardware.

wvroadrunner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cory in DC said:
I know there's a lot of DC area people who read AZB, so hopefully someone can help out a friend of mine who managed to leave his cues and case behind when he left the pool hall on Thursday night. He's a well-known and widely respected old-time shooter (*everybody* I know in DC knows him, and no one has anything but the best to say about him) and he's had the cue for 25+ years and would really like to get it back.

The missing case is tan, textured leather (It's George, I think) and the cues are an old Scruggs and a Bob Frey sneaky pete. They were last seen in Adams Morgan in Washington, DC on Thursday night.

I figure whoever found them most likely has no idea what he found. But if the finder wants to get information on the what he found, and what they're worth, he'll have to ask around in a poolhall. And that's where I'm hoping one of you comes in. Please keep an eye out for these cues! If you shoot in DC, Shirlington, Rockville, Laurel, Silver Spring, Manassas, Arlington, Fairfax, Springfield, Sterling, even Baltimore, ... maybe you could ask the regulars to keep an eye out as well.

The size of the reward is negotiable, but substantial, and no questions asked.

Please PM me if you've seen or heard anything about these cues. Also PM me if you want my phone number to keep on hand in case you see these cues (I'd rather not post my phone number).

Thanks!

Cory

P.S. The best ideas I could come up with are posting here, Craigslist's lost + found, and checking pawn shops. If anyone has any other ideas for how to track these cues down, please let me know.

Cory

What does the Scruggs look like? Plain,color of wood, points, color of
veneers, any inlays,etc.

CaptainHook

NOT Mike Sigel
Silver Member
Take Her with you.:D

Attachments

• BangBang.jpg
    BangBang.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 563

Pinocchio

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
!!!!!!!!!

I was in the pawn shop business for a number of yrs. The main thing you want to do is report it to the police. All pawn shop buys or pawn are recorded on computer disks picked up by police dept wkly. they will check all pawn shops in area for you. If a pawn shop fails to do this they can be charged with stolen property. Go to police dept. in area where it was stolen they will handle it from there. Good Luck

Pinocchio
Another good place to look is the first one or two area tour they will be priced for quick sale. The police report is a must do!

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the responses. To clarify, the cue was lost outside the pool hall, not inside, which is why the houseman doesn't have it. (The owner was packing stuff into the back of his SUV and left the cue against a tree.) I will recommend that he report it to the police, just in case a pawnshop gets ahold of it.

Thanks,

Cory

P.S. The Scruggs in question isn't mine, but as I recall, it's a 4 point, veneers, ivory inlays cue. Basically mid-range: nice, but not too fancy. The value is mostly based on the age and the number of years (25+) my friend has had it.

Last edited:

CaptainHook

NOT Mike Sigel
Silver Member
Cory in DC said:
Thanks for the responses. To clarify, the cue was lost outside the pool hall, not inside, which is why the houseman doesn't have it. (The owner was packing stuff into the back of his SUV and left the cue against a tree.) I will recommend that he report it to the police, just in case a pawnshop gets ahold of it.

Thanks,

Cory

So, this was in the parking lot of the Pool Hall?
Somebody pulled into that spot later and "Chirstmas" Look someone left
a Pool Cue, and snagged it. Our Pool Hall has parking lot survalience cameras, any at the place he left it?

So it was still someone who plays pool at the hall, or a friend. I bet it shows up.:)

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
CaptainHook said:
So, this was in the parking lot of the Pool Hall?
Somebody pulled into that spot later and "Chirstmas" Look someone left
a Pool Cue, and snagged it. Our Pool Hall has parking lot survalience cameras, any at the place he left it?

So it was still someone who plays pool at the hall, or a friend. I bet it shows up.:)

I think you're picturing the establishment incorrectly; Cory said it was last seen in Adams Morgan, DC. The tree it was left up against would have been on an extremely well-travelled sidewalk (street parking, there are no "parking lots" in that part of town) in an extremely busy part of town. Very unlikely that there were security cameras since it's a public sidewalk, and also unlikely that the person who picked it up was going to/coming from the pool hall; probably just a passerby who saw a nice leather case and figured it contained something valuable.

Anyway Cory, I'll keep my ears open, but at this point the police are probably the most likely ones to find it.

-Andrew

CaptainHook

NOT Mike Sigel
Silver Member
Andrew Manning said:
I think you're picturing the establishment incorrectly; Cory said it was last seen in Adams Morgan, DC. The tree it was left up against would have been on an extremely well-travelled sidewalk (street parking, there are no "parking lots" in that part of town) in an extremely busy part of town. Very unlikely that there were security cameras since it's a public sidewalk, and also unlikely that the person who picked it up was going to/coming from the pool hall; probably just a passerby who saw a nice leather case and figured it contained something valuable.

Anyway Cory, I'll keep my ears open, but at this point the police are probably the most likely ones to find it.

-Andrew

Thank you for clearing that up. I would just be sick if that happened to me. I would go back to that area and flier it with Reward fliers.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And don't forget...it is DC!

Best of luck locating- I will keep an eye out here.

Word to all- TAKE PICS OF YOUR EQUIPMENT!

Andrew Manning said:

-Andrew

Ilove2playpool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll keep my eye out...

Hey Cory, this is Ed (the guy who runs the MVD Pool Yahoo group), and I'll put the word out and keep an eye out for you. Also, I'm going to try and attend your Sunday tournaments soon.

Ed

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ilove2playpool said:
Hey Cory, this is Ed (the guy who runs the MVD Pool Yahoo group), and I'll put the word out and keep an eye out for you. Also, I'm going to try and attend your Sunday tournaments soon.

Ed
Thanks, Ed. I know you shoot about 8 nights a week, so you're as likely as anyone to come across it.

Hopefully I'll see you Sunday. Turnout has been around 20 so to ensure your place, make sure to get there by 6:30 (there's free practice from 6-7). The tables were also refelted, with a faster cloth, a week ago. And did I mention that the bar is matching 1/2 the pot now?

Cory

P.S. Andrew's description to CaptainHook was exactly right.

VARick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cory, I am almost positive one of cues is an old Joss rather than a Scruggs. You might want to check with him to confirm this. Thanks for posting this thread by the way. As you said, this person is well-respected and goes out of his way to help people. I was really sorry to hear this happened.

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
VARick said:
Cory, I am almost positive one of cues is an old Joss rather than a Scruggs. You might want to check with him to confirm this. Thanks for posting this thread by the way. As you said, this person is well-respected and goes out of his way to help people. I was really sorry to hear this happened.
Thanks, Rick. My understanding is that Tim Scruggs made the cue, but it was when he was working for Joss. So it's a Scruggs-Joss hybrid of sorts. I'm not sure what the logo looks like, but if anyone thinks they've seen this cue (be it Scruggs or Joss) then please let me know.

Cory

P.S. If my history is correct, Dan Janes and Bill Stroud founded Joss. At some point, Scruggs was hired/apprenticed. A bit later, Stroud and Janes split. Scruggs hung out with Janes for a bit, and then started his own operation. This was around 1971-1974.

Last edited: