Decisions...

Formula7

The Guerilla
Silver Member
I'm starting to save up for a new cue and have been searching around.

As of a week or so ago I decided I want a McDermott

This one, to be exact.

But, today, I stumbled along a Carolina Custom. It's one of the less expensive ones.

This one, to be exact.

Now, I am having a really hard time deciding. It's about $400 or $500 on the site, but does any other cost (besides S&H) go into having one of these things built?

I have never used a CC, but I know the good things custom cues can do for a player, even at the lower skill levels. I have used a McD and loved the way it plays, I know it's production, but it plays pretty damn well, especially with an I-shaft on it (I-2, specifically).

I really want to make a good, solid decision before I put down the $400-$500 on a cue. I'm starting to get real serious and stepping up my game with private instruction and a LOT more practice time (especially if I can coax my uncle into giving me his table, lol).

The McD or the CC? Either which way, I'm slapping an I-2 or an I-3 shaft onto it, eventually (maybe even a 314-2 or OB-2). But which cue should I get? Help???

I want them both, but there really is no need. Eventually I want, my dream cue, a High Tower, but that's waaaaaayyyy later. Haha.

pocketspeed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
normally i'd say buy the cc. i've played with both a mcd and cc and prefer by far the hit of the cc. the mcd is a nice cue but a little whippy for me. the carolina has a much stiffer hit, but if youre gonna put on a low deflection shaft and not play with the cc shaft then there is not really much sense in spending the extra money on the cc unless youre buying for just the looks of the butt. imo 90% of the hit of the cue comes from the joint forward, so if youre not gonna play the the custom shaft that comes with your custom cue then you might as well save money on buying a cue and use it for lessons which will help your game much more that any cue will anyway. remember its the indian not the arrow, no matter how damned sexy an arrow it is.

brian

jcommie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm starting to save up for a new cue and have been searching around.

As of a week or so ago I decided I want a McDermott

This one, to be exact.

But, today, I stumbled along a Carolina Custom. It's one of the less expensive ones.

This one, to be exact.

Now, I am having a really hard time deciding. It's about $400 or $500 on the site, but does any other cost (besides S&H) go into having one of these things built?

I have never used a CC, but I know the good things custom cues can do for a player, even at the lower skill levels. I have used a McD and loved the way it plays, I know it's production, but it plays pretty damn well, especially with an I-shaft on it (I-2, specifically).

I really want to make a good, solid decision before I put down the $400-$500 on a cue. I'm starting to get real serious and stepping up my game with private instruction and a LOT more practice time (especially if I can coax my uncle into giving me his table, lol).

The McD or the CC? Either which way, I'm slapping an I-2 or an I-3 shaft onto it, eventually (maybe even a 314-2 or OB-2). But which cue should I get? Help???

I want them both, but there really is no need. Eventually I want, my dream cue, a High Tower, but that's waaaaaayyyy later. Haha.

Silly, go get a Russ Espiritu for this money. :D

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=135797

Last edited:

Formula7

The Guerilla
Silver Member
normally i'd say buy the cc. i've played with both a mcd and cc and prefer by far the hit of the cc. the mcd is a nice cue but a little whippy for me. the carolina has a much stiffer hit, but if youre gonna put on a low deflection shaft and not play with the cc shaft then there is not really much sense in spending the extra money on the cc unless youre buying for just the looks of the butt. imo 90% of the hit of the cue comes from the joint forward, so if youre not gonna play the the custom shaft that comes with your custom cue then you might as well save money on buying a cue and use it for lessons which will help your game much more that any cue will anyway. remember its the indian not the arrow, no matter how damned sexy an arrow it is.

brian
Understood. Thanks for that. Question, what are the benefits of the custom shaft?

pocketspeed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Understood. Thanks for that. Question, what are the benefits of the custom shaft?

my opinion (and this is a hotly debated topic) is that the "hit" of a cue, firm, stiff, whippy, what have you and the feedback (how the cue feels in your hand when you strike the cb) is mostly made up from the joint forward. now hit is subjective, but the combination of how a maker sets up the shaft-weight, taper, ferrule etc is what makes that up. he may construct the butt to complement his "hit". if you want to play with a cue from a particular maker b/c of the "hit" his cues have and then stick another kind of shaft on it then youre not gonna get that makers signature hit. not that there is anything wrong with that. maybe youre more interested in the look than the hit. if your just gonna put the mcd i shaft in there why spend more money than you need to? mcd makes a good quality cue. in the end the benefits may only be in our heads... if you have good mechanics, good knowledge, and focus you can prolly take a house cue and play pretty sporty, you just wont look as sexy...

brian

Big C

Deep in the heart of TX.
Silver Member
My vote is for the CC w/o a low deflection shaft. Their cues play great as is. I would also recommend looking into a sneaky from Josey custom cues. They are probably the best built and playing cues at any price and they are not too expensive IMO. Whatever you choose, give the stock shaft a playing chance before going to a LD shaft.

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member
I'd go with the CC as I'm having one built for me now :)

I can't wait for it to be done. Gonna be a BEM forearm, 4 ebony points with a mother of pearl checked diamond in each point, four veneers (inside/out) maple, blue, purple and black, ebony rings w/MOP dots at both ends of the wrap and at the butt and MOP checked diamonds and dots at the butt. I'm excited as can be.

snipershot

Go ahead.....run for it.
Silver Member
I say, either way you go is good. I have never hit with a cc, but I have yet to hear a bad word about them. I have used a few McDs, and I have never had one that hit bad. The good thing is, if you dont like the cc, you can sell it here, and recoup a good chunk of your money, and if you dont like the McD, you dont have that much invested in it anyhow, so in my opinion, YOU CANT LOSE! just the way I see it, good luck bud.......:cool:

Koopa

Ricky
Silver Member
I'd try hitting with a Carolina or McD before you go out and buy one or the other. I'm sure the CC hits great, but you should always hit a few balls before buying a cue. If you do go with the CC though, I wouldn't put a low deflection shaft on it. I never did like the hit on those at all.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Why do you want to put a third party shaft on a custom cue? Will you do that with the Hightower too?? IMHO, it negates the whole idea of a custom cue. If that's what you intend, go with the McDermott.

Formula7

The Guerilla
Silver Member
Why do you want to put a third party shaft on a custom cue? Will you do that with the Hightower too?? IMHO, it negates the whole idea of a custom cue. If that's what you intend, go with the McDermott.

Good point. Funny thing is, I never intended to do that whenever I decided to nab myself a High Tower. After all the points here, though, I don't think I'll be doing that if I get the CC either.