Defy CF shaft Question!

Rjmoncrief

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just picked up a new McDermott Defy CF shaft with a 3/8x10 thread. I’m going to use it on my Schmelke Cue. Here’s my question..... The shaft is very tight going on the Schmelke 3/8x10 pin. I mean very tight.
I was a little hesitant putting it together the first time. I’d screw it on a little then work it back and forth. Then a little further, etc., etc. I took my time and finally got it put together fully. Should it be that tight going on? The Defy threads are plastic so will it loosen up after a while?
Any info appreciated!
Thanks

Thunder Thighs

I'm your Huckleberry
Silver Member
Could it be that the shaft is a 3/8-10, and the pin is a 3/8-10 modified? Different minor diameter. Or worse, the shaft was not a 3/8-10 to begin with.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Plastic and phenolic fits tighter than wood. It might need to get a tap threaded in again after measuring the hole versus the joint screw.

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't had issues putting stock 3/8-10 defy shafts on other 3/8-10 butts. Looks like the existing pin might be the issue.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't had issues putting stock 3/8-10 defy shafts on other 3/8-10 butts. Looks like the existing pin might be the issue.
I just noticed you said Schmelke. There was a time when Schmelke had some 3/8x10 screws made where the pitch between the threads was thicker. But not as thick as the modified 3/8x10 screws.

Rjmoncrief

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also have a McDermott with the 3/8x10 and it’s just as tight on it. I don’t want to damage a new CF shaft. Suggestions?

Rjmoncrief

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also have a McDermott with the 3/8x10 and it’s just as tight on it. I don’t want to damage a new CF shaft. Suggestions?
Could it be that the shaft is a 3/8-10, and the pin is a 3/8-10 modified? Different minor diameter. Or worse, the shaft was not a 3/8-10 to begin with.
Cue is a Schmelke, definitely a 3/8x10.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Cue is a Schmelke, definitely a 3/8x10.

As Mike said, get the shaft tapped. Did you contact McDermott to tell them what is happening? I've had a few shafts over the years that needed a bit of coaxing to fit properly. Have you done it a few times already? A small amount of lubricant on the threads may help till it loosens up.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As Mike said, get the shaft tapped. Did you contact McDermott to tell them what is happening? I've had a few shafts over the years that needed a bit of coaxing to fit properly. Have you done it a few times already? A small amount of lubricant on the threads may help till it loosens up.
Thank you as always.
Here ya go. Show them this. They're all different sizes.

Attachments

• IMG_20191018_004601.jpg
    IMG_20191018_004601.jpg
    360.7 KB · Views: 112

NINEBALLART

NINEBALLART
Silver Member
I just picked up a new McDermott Defy CF shaft with a 3/8x10 thread. I’m going to use it on my Schmelke Cue. Here’s my question..... The shaft is very tight going on the Schmelke 3/8x10 pin. I mean very tight.
I was a little hesitant putting it together the first time. I’d screw it on a little then work it back and forth. Then a little further, etc., etc. I took my time and finally got it put together fully. Should it be that tight going on? The Defy threads are plastic so will it loosen up after a while?
Any info appreciated!
Thanks
My friend's Defy shaft was the same way..It was SUPER tight....He tapped it out and it was fine..He called McDermott and they said they made them that way on purpose so they wouldn't fit loose...
I have had other cues that fit really , really tight and I rub candle wax on threads, screw it in and do that about 3 times and it loosens up but is still tight but not as bad..

sddale2001

Registered
When I first put mine on it was super tight...It will loosen up after putting it together and taking it apart a few times. I did not put any lubricant on it.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would get it tapped...

Had a super-highend McDaniel with a big pin and solid ivory joint.

The shafts were a very tight fit.

I kept forcing them down until the joint eventually cracked.

I was so angry that I sold the cue for next to nothing.

Bad things can happen if you try and force it.