Dennis 10 pack vs SVB from last match is now on Youtube!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dennis is here now, on his way home after a very successful four month trip across the U.S. I'm very proud of him, not so much for winning this match, but for what he's doing back home in Butuan. He and his family have a very successful cafe and water store, and with the money he earned this trip he paid off all the equipment he needed to set up this business and is debt free now. We have had many talks about what he would do after his pool career is over and these conversations are beginning to bear fruit now. I didn't want to see him end up broke at 50 and struggling to survive, like so many other pool players I've known. Dennis is smart enough to know that he can't hold off all these young guns forever (he's 42 now), and that he needs to use his winnings now to prepare for the future. He made one interesting comment at breakfast this morning. I told him he is one of the best players I've ever seen shooting a tough shot under pressure. His response to me was that Filler shoots straighter under pressure than he does. A glaring admission from a great player, just to acknowledge a fellow competitor like that.

We barely talked about the match, but he was most proud of double dipping Shane in the finals of a recent tournament. He did tell me that he had learned some things about how he could be more competitive against Shane (my words, he said it a little more bluntly). He is going home now because he needs a break from pool, after playing non stop for four months and driving all over the country from tournament to tournament. He told me they drove 28 hours non stop from Dallas to Vegas for the tourney there and then back to OKC to play Shane. He'll be back for the World Ten Ball, U.S. Open and International 9-Ball in a couple of months. It's a good chance to see this unique and very talented pool player while he's still at the apex of his game. I plan to make it to Vegas to attend my first pool tournament in nearly two years.

Last edited:

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Filler claimed a stack of 27, 9 ball.
I believe it was 25 and who said that was his wife Pia. :)
I actually heard it long time ago. just after he won world champs and that happened on practice to those champs. It is easy to be confident if u know u can make 20+ run outs to row :D

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe it was 25 and who said that was his wife Pia. :)
I actually heard it long time ago. just after he won world champs and that happened on practice to those champs. It is easy to be confident if u know u can make 20+ run outs to row :D
He said this this in response to a chat question at Roy's Basement. The bankroll adds games. :p

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Wow Dennis used a carbon shaft. Anyone know what brand he went with or sponsor shaft he used?
He was using a Meucci carbon fiber shaft when he ran the ten racks but changed the next day to a Doug Beasley cue with a regular wood shaft. Dennis changes cues like most of us change pants. Efren was much the same. My experience is that the Pinoys can play with anything and still play good.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He was using a Meucci carbon fiber shaft when he ran the ten racks but changed the next day to a Doug Beasley cue with a regular wood shaft. Dennis changes cues like most of us change pants. Efren was much the same. My experience is that the Pinoys can play with anything and still play good.
"It's the Pinoy not the arrow!"

Happy to have read what you posted earlier about Dennis using his money from this trip to set himself and his family up for the future.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
U got something wrong there. It is Ralf Souquet who have 27 racks in 8-ball. and Niels have ran 17 racks in practice match on 9-ball...
Actually, Niels run was 15 racks, and it was reported on AZB as follows on 2/2/2003, the day after it happened:

In a 'challenge match' against French player Donald Du Bois, Feijen broke and ran 15 consecutive 9-ball racks on a regulation 4 1/2 X 9' table.

Yes, this challenge match occurred in the moments leading up to a Eurotour event.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
With a nine on the spot how do you get the wing ball wired to go in so consistently on the break ??

gypsy_soul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
they claim so.. i never seen more.
Earle Strickland did 11 racks at CJs billiards in early 90s , I was sitting in the bleachers watching the whole thing . I lived 3 blocks from CJs place back then , it’s where I learned how to lose every paycheck for two years . They taught me how to play , move , lose and win !!!! Priceless….

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I asked myself the same question so I dedicated part of my wednesday practice to that break. It turned out that it is the most reliable way to break 9b rack with 9 on the spot I have tried so far😎
Are you putting right spin with a slight cut?

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
They said the wooden shaft was a Pred Z3.

I didn't know Dennis has a cafe in Butuan. My cousin lives there . Butuan's local govt. won the governance award at least once. They actually have a good local govt. there . It is a thriving city . Kinda forgotten because Surigao is such a hot tourist province right now .

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
They said the wooden shaft was a Pred Z3.

I didn't know Dennis has a cafe in Butuan. My cousin lives there . Butuan's local govt. won the governance award at least once. They actually have a good local govt. there . It is a thriving city . Kinda forgotten because Surigao is such a hot tourist province right now .
Butuan is a small and clean city on the North (safe) side of Mindanao. Probably the safest place for foreigners in the South along with Davao. Surigao del sol is a little spotty these days and I wouldn't recommend it. A foreigner could get in a jam there.

rack runner

Registered
Dennis is here now, on his way home after a very successful four month trip across the U.S. I'm very proud of him, not so much for winning this match, but for what he's doing back home in Butuan. He and his family have a very successful cafe and water store, and with the money he earned this trip he paid off all the equipment he needed to set up this business and is debt free now. We have had many talks about what he would do after his pool career is over and these conversations are beginning to bear fruit now. I didn't want to see him end up broke at 50 and struggling to survive, like so many other pool players I've known. Dennis is smart enough to know that he can't hold off all these young guns forever (he's 42 now), and that he needs to use his winnings now to prepare for the future. He made one interesting comment at breakfast this morning. I told him he is one of the best players I've ever seen shooting a tough shot under pressure. His response to me was that Filler shoots straighter under pressure than he does. A glaring admission from a great player, just to acknowledge a fellow competitor like that.

We barely talked about the match, but he was most proud of double dipping Shane in the finals of a recent tournament. He did tell me that he had learned some things about how he could be more competitive against Shane (my words, he said it a little more bluntly). He is going home now because he needs a break from pool, after playing non stop for four months and driving all over the country from tournament to tournament. He told me they drove 28 hours non stop from Dallas to Vegas for the tourney there and then back to OKC to play Shane. He'll be back for the World Ten Ball, U.S. Open and International 9-Ball in a couple of months. It's a good chance to see this unique and very talented pool player while he's still at the apex of his game. I plan to make it to Vegas to attend my first pool tournament in nearly two years.
Hey Jay, always listen to your commentaries and stuff about pool. Id be curious as to what Dennis said about he can be more competitive with shane. If youd prefer, can PM me. Aloha- Ron