Derby City bank pool and Diamond tables

Mole Eye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had the opportunity to go to the Derby this year, and played some bank pool on the Diamonds. They were by far the toughest tables I have ever played on. It seemed every bank was 1/2 diamond short, and the rails took no english. I wrote this off to just not being used to Diamonds, as there are no Diamonds within 100 miles of home. Now, I've been watching some of the streams, and it seems I was not the only one struggling. For those of you there, were the tables what you expected, or did you have problems with the rails?
 
The pros adapt.
Was it 1/2 diamond short on when banking around 6 diamonds wide?

New cloth and polished balls probably account for the rubber not taking english.
But, it's still speed sensitive.
 
Well, I'm certainly not a pro, but I did adapt. I quit using english for one, which helped. I try to play all shots pocket speed, unless I am trying to hold a shot. After watching the videos, it just seemed like they were missing a lot of balls short that you would expect to be made. I wondered if it was just these particular tables used for the Derby, or do all Diamond tables play like these.
 
I didnt watch banks, except for a Shane and a Efren match on YouTube. They had no problems banking.

Did watch plenty of 1p. The pros were amazing at banking. I think mostly getting plenty of practice time on Diamonds.

Red labels at my hall bank very short.
 
Do you live out in a very rural area? For some reason I had you pegged as being from the Chicagoland area. Guess I'm wrong. There are Diamond tables in every even small metropolitan area almost anywhere in the country.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

I wrote this off to just not being used to Diamonds, as there are no Diamonds within 100 miles of home.
 
I live in Martin, Tn, about halfway between Memphis and Nashville. Very few places to play outside of bars. The place I play has CC Steepletons, which were also in the pool hall I frequented in my younger days. Certainly a lot different than those Diamonds!
 
Well, if you're used to Gold Crown tables with Super Speed cushions, nothing play like those. :D
 
Yes, I know the area. Definitely have to go to Nashville or Memphis.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

I live in Martin, Tn, about halfway between Memphis and Nashville. Very few places to play outside of bars. The place I play has CC Steepletons, which were also in the pool hall I frequented in my younger days. Certainly a lot different than those Diamonds!
 
I think the Diamonds bank short. Actually I know they do. If you do a 3 rail shot starting at one corner pocket to the middle diamond at the upper end of the long rail you will land about a diamond short of the pocket. Do it on most any other table and the ball will go in the pocket. A couple of years ago I started to play again and getting back in stroke was not easy. I thought my banking issues were just being out of stroke but had come to learn the Diamond tables bank short. So it isn't just you. Many players I know agree.
 
Diamonds have always banked short compared to most tables. If you watched the banks ring game, players were 'holding up' Banks 4,5 inches. You need to play on them a lot to find out what you need to do to make banks. I assume its the rail profile.
Good luck
ps
I'm keeping my extended rail 4 /14 in pkt GC III by John Burns of Baltimore MD.
Thanks John
 
Thanks for the replies. I had heard Diamonds bank short, the fact that I couldn't use english was what threw me more than anything.
 
Thanks for the replies. I had heard Diamonds bank short, the fact that I couldn't use english was what threw me more than anything.

You can go to Metropolis too. They have 2 9ft at Boos. Come up sometime and i'll play you some bank or one pocket cheap. On a side note my 6th annual Polar Plunge eight ball tournament is tomorrow at Side Pockets in Paducah. You are welcome to come and play. Sign ups at 12:00. Pros not allowed. We will start the players auction at around 2:00
 

Attachments

  • polar plunge flyer pic.jpg
    polar plunge flyer pic.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 531
Diamonds have always banked short compared to most tables. If you watched the banks ring game, players were 'holding up' Banks 4,5 inches. You need to play on them a lot to find out what you need to do to make banks. I assume its the rail profile.

Good luck

ps

I'm keeping my extended rail 4 /14 in pkt GC III by John Burns of Baltimore MD.

Thanks John


What does extended rail mean on your GC?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thanks, Crabbcatjohn. Can't make it tonight, but I'll make a point of dropping in next time to Paducah.
 
Back
Top