Derby City Classic 2021

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw on FB my hometown room in Philly reopened last week. They have a weekly 9 ball tournament, it used to get 32-64 entrants (with buybacks) for 30 years. Now, its capped at 16 players and you have to call in to reserve your spot, and if you no-show, you can't play the next week.

For the DCC to have any chance of "social distancing" they would have to do something similar. Limit field size dramatically. 100 players per division max is my estimate. Only accept internet entries, no in-person entries allowed. No action room, only tournament. No non-playing fans, only players can be there.

If you do all that, how does the DCC make any money? What is the point of even having it? Same applies to every other major tournament.

The only way it could possibly proceed as before is if there are no social distancing rules in place, whatsoever.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... No non-playing fans, only players can be there.

If you do all that, how does the DCC make any money? What is the point of even having it? Same applies to every other major tournament.
A tournament with no spectators has already happened. I think it was the first or close to it sporting event in England after the current problem started. Of course it was on TV. The players and staff were all tested and lived in a bubble.

The play was a little shaky presumably because some of the players were out of practice. The lack of an audience detracted from the viewing, but it was still fun to watch.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
Just some food for thought it's very likely that if you were at the DCC in January of 2020 Covid was already circulating and you were exposed and people probably caught it there without knowing. I don't know what the future holds, but if they have the event I'll be there just like every other year.