derby city draw

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've seen good players match up early
and I know you can re-buy for second life
so I guess there's no seeding and the draw is random...
is it tho?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What makes you think it isn't and there is some type impropriety at hand?

I don't like what you imply with no evidence.

Boo.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It doesn't have to be players buying their way through or otherwise concerting a "team effort". Gambling is a vice. In some dictionaries it's a synonym of evil. The universe has properties you won't read about anywhere.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
is it tho?
Its random. Names go into computer and its spits out the re-draw. I've seen the same two draw each other two matches in a row. No conspiracy. Sorry.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Yes, it's random, but it can be brutal. In any other single stage event, once you have a loss, you can no longer draw an undefeated player, but not so at the Derby.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks for the info.
my question was honest
foul play was not on my radar..at all
some a y'all are rabid tho...

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks for the info.
my question was honest
foul play was not on my radar..at all
some a y'all are rabid tho...

Competitions often have the battlebot element. Anytime you have a bunch of people and one goal, expect all manner of difficulty.
And yes. You can't ignore the universe.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
is it tho?
There are lots of non-random rules that could be implemented in the computer program that does the draw. I think one that is implemented is that you cannot get a bye two rounds in a row, or something like that. Maybe if you have already had a bye you are barred from having another. (If there is an odd number of players in a round, one player has to get a bye, even down to the semi-finals.)

There is special code in the draw program that can do a partial draw before all the matches are finished in a round. I think this means if you are slow you are less likely to get drawn against someone who has already finished. This was intended to allow the next round to start before the current one has finished. There is a huge problem at DCC if a single match is holding up the entire next round if the draw is also held up. An example is a one pocket match that took seven and a half hours. I don't know if this "speculative draw" feature has been used. I was told that it was not used when it might have sped up a slow patch.