Diamond 1 piece slates,is sagging/divots a myth?

Hellfire

Hello,I just wanted to ask everyone what they think. I have been reading a lot of what I'm not sure or not is misinformation about how I should stay away from 1 piece slates due to supposed unfixable sagging of the slate that happens as opposed to 3 piece. But I've also seen many ppl saying they want 1 piece because its the best.

So which 1 would you choose?

The other question I have is when someone buys a used diamond tournament table do they ship it with felt still glued on? Thanks everyone

opinions are welcome,not just those that are experts.

Last edited:

Wybrook

A. Wheeler
Silver Member
Its BS...
One piece slates still have the same supports as the 3 piece slate tables. Main thing they do one piece is for shipping and setting up.
One piece table won't ever "pop" the slates. if you have a choice, get a diamond Pro-AM with the one piece. You will never regret it.

They ship fully assembled except for legs.

Last edited:

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it is absolutely silly how they won't put one piece slates up or downstairs. Me and a buddy have moved many valleys with 1 pce. slate...moving 'em down stairs ain't that big a deal. Neither is moving them upstairs.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This sounds like a weak sales pitch from a bad salesman who isn’t selling Diamond tablesIt’s total BS top to bottom & front to back. Sagging slates haha!

I can take or leave Diamond tables(not my favorite) but one thing is certain they are quality and there’s not one issue mentioned in the OP being a problem with them.

Desperate salesman say desperate things. I can’t even give him credit for being creative it’s so weak and bad.

Best
Fatboy

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it is absolutely silly how they won't put one piece slates up or downstairs. Me and a buddy have moved many valleys with 1 pce. slate...moving 'em down stairs ain't that big a deal. Neither is moving them upstairs.
It’s going to be a different animal moving a 9 ft. Pro-am 1 piece than moving a 3/4” one piece Valley. Not that it can’t be done with the 1 inch Pro-am, but I understand why Diamond is making that a policy.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
It’s going to be a different animal moving a 9 ft. Pro-am 1 piece than moving a 3/4” one piece Valley. Not that it can’t be done with the 1 inch Pro-am, but I understand why Diamond is making that a policy.
No doubt. I know that each 1 of my 3 GCI slates weighs in at 226#, that means that the 1 piece Diamond 9' slate is approaching 800 pounds, that's a heavy chunk of rock with no handles to boot.

Nyquil

Hello,I just wanted to ask everyone what they think. I have been reading a lot of what I'm not sure or not is misinformation about how I should stay away from 1 piece slates due to supposed unfixable sagging of the slate that happens as opposed to 3 piece. But I've also seen many ppl saying they want 1 piece because its the best.

So which 1 would you choose?

The other question I have is when someone buys a used diamond tournament table do they ship it with felt still glued on? Thanks everyone

opinions are welcome,not just those that are experts.
I am no expert but this sounds like total BS. I do own a 9ft pro AM I had to go 3 piece due to it going in a basement. One piece would have not fit down my entry way. The 3 piece slate is slightly thicker than 1 piece. Does that make a difference I highly doubt it. I am sure Glen will chime in but this seller sounds like he doesn't know what he is talking about. The 3 piece is a more lengthy install. Essentially the table gets broken down into pieces and installed in your space.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... 1 piece slates due to supposed unfixable sagging of the slate that happens as opposed to 3 piece. ...
The one piece slates warp and bend and curl and sag just like three piece slates. Diamond one-piece slates have 22 levelling points under the slate that you can adjust with the cloth and the rails on the table to take out all of that. The levellers are wedges driven by screws. Tournament tables arrive with the cloth already installed and can be set up and levelled in less than an hour each. At tournaments they do it with over a dozen spirit levels on the table and they get them all level at once.

Here's a video that shows the guts of the table and explains the levellers:

I think some other tables can't be adjusted for warp while fully assembled and that's a problem because the assembly can cause stress.

Last edited:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glen throws around Diamond tables like I do pizzas. Until you see it it’s hard to believe. But it’s true. He moved mine from building to building several times on my compound in Vegas. No help from anyone. I haven’t seen anyone else do that.

also warped slate can be skim coated with bondo or something before it’s covered to level out low spots. There are a few tricks, I don’t know them all, skate is flexible so shims and bolts can help out as well. A good(not many around) mechanic knows all the tricks. Unless it’s a real bad piece of slate more than I thought possible is possible.

on a side note a good grinder never hurt a Diamond shelf😂😂

Best
Fatboy<———could put together a box if his life depended on it. But I watched and asked questions

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Well, it's not bs that typical one piece slate tables (Valley style) have problems with the slate sagging. This is usually due to the slate being thin and poorly supported. That's obviously not the case with the Diamond tables as their slate is thick and has 22 support points.

The problem with thick, one piece slate tables is one of moving it. Can you imagine moving such a heavy slate around? You want to move your table, it's going to cost you big $. You'll need a crew or many friends. Up and down stairs is just a pure nightmare. One slip up while going up the stairs, and you're a friend or two short, they'll either be dead or maimed for life. Not a good way to go, I'd say. Until you've tried to maneuver something beastly heavy up a winding staircase, you have no idea how easily you can get into big trouble. There will be no way to put it down, since it will either damage the stairs or start to move immidiately. But hey, if you're made of money, just pay someone to do it, and forget all about it.

Hellfire

Well, it's not bs that typical one piece slate tables (Valley style) have problems with the slate sagging. This is usually due to the slate being thin and poorly supported. That's obviously not the case with the Diamond tables as their slate is thick and has 22 support points.

The problem with thick, one piece slate tables is one of moving it. Can you imagine moving such a heavy slate around? You want to move your table, it's going to cost you big $. You'll need a crew or many friends. Up and down stairs is just a pure nightmare. One slip up while going up the stairs, and you're a friend or two short, they'll either be dead or maimed for life. Not a good way to go, I'd say. Until you've tried to maneuver something beastly heavy up a winding staircase, you have no idea how easily you can get into big trouble. There will be no way to put it down, since it will either damage the stairs or start to move immidiately. But hey, if you're made of money, just pay someone to do it, and forget all about it.
So iwould it be cheaper to have the 1 piece moved v the 3 piece?(assuming someone who has a diamond cart does it)(no stairs)

Last edited:

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, but the policy is the same for their 7 ft. Pro-am. It's not just diamond. I asked a local dealer about moving my valley out. When he found out it was upstairs, he said he would probably bust the slate with a sledge and drop the pieces out the window into his truck bed.

Are you kidding me? I moved the dang thing upstairs with only the help of one buddy. Heck give me some towing straps and a come along and the job gets much easier...

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Yeah, but the policy is the same for their 7 ft. Pro-am. It's not just diamond. I asked a local dealer about moving my valley out. When he found out it was upstairs, he said he would probably bust the slate with a sledge and drop the pieces out the window into his truck bed.

Are you kidding me? I moved the dang thing upstairs with only the help of one buddy. Heck give me some towing straps and a come along and the job gets much easier...

"A man has to know his limitations." - Harry Callahan

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So would it be cheaper to have the 1 piece moved v the 3 piece? (assuming someone who has a diamond cart does it)(no stairs)
Yes. I think that's the main point of a one-piece slate. It is moved without removing the cloth.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Not if there's turns on those stairs, I've been doing this work for 39 years and have installed more tables upstairs and down stairs than you'd ever see, let alone touch!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
So iwould it be cheaper to have the 1 piece moved v the 3 piece?(assuming someone who has a diamond cart does it)(no stairs)
Cheaper if the table don't have to be disassembled, provided you hire someone who's worked with moving Diamonds before and know the drill.