Diamond Lights

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm getting a 9' Diamond Pro Am next Friday, super excited. I'm also getting the lights.

The installer said he could hang the lights but couldn't wire them. I didn't realize they weren't plug and play. Do I need to hire an electrician to wire them? How complicated are they? Any suggestions?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You decide for yourself...ever changed a hard wired fixture?

Not difficult, but a mistake can be costly by many measures.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That answers my questions. I don't want to mess with it. Just wasn't sure how big of a project it was.

Are there instructions online? I couldn't find them. If someone has a link that would be great. Thanks!

MOJOE

Work Hard, Be Humble. jbk
Silver Member
I put an outlet in my ceiling when I remodeled it, attached to a wall switch. Just had a plug put on the Diamond light, voila! Had my light attached flush to the ceiling, it's a thing of beauty.
AF1QipOFfe_TZwTZYBb2gY6ENoCljrWQEucP8Ym8S3xz

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipP2jzTM2zpDOLKTyL01SE9QGYAJx4FZZBqzmRGEGKNo0YXgpa6GH9x8dxRyP-C_JQ/photo/AF1QipOFfe_TZwTZYBb2gY6ENoCljrWQEucP8Ym8S3xz?key=V1NkRS00MU85RWxyT1paUGFhUTQ0Szl2VnR2WUlR

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm getting a 9' Diamond Pro Am next Friday, super excited. I'm also getting the lights.

The installer said he could hang the lights but couldn't wire them. I didn't realize they weren't plug and play. Do I need to hire an electrician to wire them? How complicated are they? Any suggestions?
Yes, quite obviously you don't your pool table installers wiring your table lighting any more than you'd want your electrician installing your pool table. The Diamond light is nice, but if you can afford to spend a little $$ more, I'd tell your electrician you'd like to convert it to LED tubes. It will make a huge difference in the intensity of the lighting.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I did my own wiring in the diamond light. If you can take out an old outlet and put in a new one (safely), you probably have enough knowledge to hook up your light.

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
When they were installing the electrical, I wanted power for a Diamond light. They have a PDF on their website with dimensions.

The framers took that as well as the table dimensions and set chalk lines on the concrete foundation as a guide for the electricians to use when doing the ceiling wiring. The room has cathedral ceilings, so the light will be hung.

I called Diamond to verify the methodology was sound. They did have one very good observation: don’t center the electrical wiring. Since it’s hanging and not flush on the ceiling, you’ll want to run the wiring down the hanging chain on one side or the other to help the visuals to some degree. So, plan for that when determining the location for the electrical.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member

A lot depends on the type of ceiling, if its pre-wired or not and how much you like fishing.

arcstats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, quite obviously you don't your pool table installers wiring your table lighting any more than you'd want your electrician installing your pool table. The Diamond light is nice, but if you can afford to spend a little $$ more, I'd tell your electrician you'd like to convert it to LED tubes. It will make a huge difference in the intensity of the lighting.

I recently converted my Diamond light to an LED system. I talked to Diamond and they referred me to TOCOR Lighting Products in Louisville KY (502-454-6203). Tocor worked with Diamond for a year coming up with the optimum LED setup.

They sell a conversion kit for 4' LED bulbs, instead of the standard 8' florescent bulbs. The reasoning is 8' LED bulbs are so much more expensive compared to the 4' LED's', and they weigh less. LED lighting require no ballasts, so it is a direct wire to the light sockets. You will have a total of 8 4' lights in the fixture.

Do it - you will not regret it once you see your table under LED lighting. Total materials costs- around $150.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm surprised Diamond doesn't ship with LED's from the factory? Is it at least an option from the factory?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No.

Diamond does not provide bulbs

Diamond does not hang lights

Diamond does not wire or hang lights

Diamond is probably foolish not to redesign their light to use the new LED panels and ship their light with those panels installed. Florescent is old tech. Everyone wants LED now. And if you do it as a panel, there is probably very low risk in it breaking during shipping.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'll post picks of my light later tonight. Very cheap to do and looks very nice.

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
That answers my questions. I don't want to mess with it. Just wasn't sure how big of a project it was.

Are there instructions online? I couldn't find them. If someone has a link that would be great. Thanks!
Haha
It's easy. I would advise you to lay it out carefully and hang the light FIRST!
That's how I did it for my Diamond. The one for my 9' table was no lightweight.
Problem was I scheduled the table set up for day after New Years!
Big mistake lol
Hanging the light with a hangover was a little tougher. haha Luckily I already had the layout done.

Last edited:

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently converted my Diamond light to an LED system. I talked to Diamond and they referred me to TOCOR Lighting Products in Louisville KY (502-454-6203). Tocor worked with Diamond for a year coming up with the optimum LED setup.

They sell a conversion kit for 4' LED bulbs, instead of the standard 8' florescent bulbs. The reasoning is 8' LED bulbs are so much more expensive compared to the 4' LED's', and they weigh less. LED lighting require no ballasts, so it is a direct wire to the light sockets. You will have a total of 8 4' lights in the fixture.

Do it - you will not regret it once you see your table under LED lighting. Total materials costs- around $150.

Phone number you listed is a Fax number. Who the hell uses fax machines still? Probably still use dial up internet as well :)

Anyways .. I digress … here is the info for them..

Tocor Inc.
4420 Shepherdsville Road
Louisville, KY 40218

Toll Free: (800) 283-2852
Phone: (502) 454-4500
Fax: (502) 454-6203
Email: jimrosendaul@aol.com

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Hey Tin Man,

I moved into a new place a couple years ago and had my table moved. Hired an electrician to install wires into ceiling above the table and the switch on the wall.
I always wanted a Diamond light, so when it arrived I was shocked that there was a lil work needed to get it ready. I'm no electrician but the instructions are in the box.
The most difficult part is hanging it perfectly above my table cause the ceiling is vaulted. Measure...measure...measure before drilling any holes.
If you are half way handy around the house with some basic tools....you can do it.
Only thing you will need for the light is mounting hardware and the 2 light bulbs.

Good Luck

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I put my table into the finished garage at my new house. There wasn't a switch leg I could use so I wired a switch onto the end of my Diamond light and just pulled power from the attic light. Works great...

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
(snip)

Do you play better on OTHER tables now or worse...or does it not matter?

I ask because I've intentionally reduced my table's lighting so it matches the crappy lighting I play on elsewhere. I don't want to get spoiled, so to speak.

Jeff Livingston