"Diamondizing" a Gold Crown III.. In Germany

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
Russ,

I also hope that your table plays as you expect it to.

However, should you not be pleased with the end result, I would strongly encourage you to take Jerimy up on his offer. I installed a set of his rails on one of my customer tables. They are a magnificent product.

I even had the pleasure of visiting Jerimy's shop, and meeting him in person. You won't find many finer humans in this business.

Good luck with your project.

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
Everyone, thanks for the feedback. The mechanic is doing the work in his shop, and will be bringing the table to install next Sunday.

It is as iusedtoberich says: This is gonna be world's better than no extensions, and double/triple shimming. That is how all the other tables here in Germany play, and they play BAD. Though, even just learning straight pool, I have still run 50+ on one of the shimmed Gold Crowns, so I feel that this would be a good improvement.

This is really the best I can do locally. I had asked around, and nobody in my area of Germany has any experience whatsoever doing subrail extensions. I may try cornering Ralf Souqet or Ralf Eckert if I see them at Derby and ask them for references for a mechanic in Germany who can do this kind of work, if the table doesn't play well after I get it.

If you didn’t adjust the angles (appears as though they haven’t been adjusted) then in reality it’s pretty much the same as shimming. I don’t think this would be considered recalibration or proper extension. It will be a waste of money. Might even be a candidate for the hack section. You would have been better off buying a new set of rails in another post. So sad. The results in play will be aggravating at best. I don’t see how but I hope it turns out ok. Can only imagine what the felt will look like.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Should have bought these. IMG_3567.JPGIMG_3568.JPGIMG_3569.JPG

ShortBusRuss

Silver Member
Should have bought these.

That's easy for you to say. You gonna pay for the shipping to Germany plus the 20% import tax?

Didn't think so. Given the number of posts you are making about what an awful decision I've made, it seems you just enjoy making the worst out of a bad situation. Must be a blast at parties..

A lot of people in this thread don't seem to understand that I am lucky to even find a German table installer even willing to TRY to do a subrail extension. I doubt 10 people in the entire country even knew such a thing existed. And I don't speak German well enough to find them.

IF the table plays like dogshit, I will consider taking up one of the offers in the thread, but it would have to include buying a whole second set of rails, because I am not going to ship my rails off to have them worked on and effectively be without a table for months. That could get pricey. In the end, this attempt cost me about 150 Euro plus the cost of the Artemis rails.

I didn't post the pictures to have the peanut gallery tell me what a godawful table I am gonna have and that it's is gonna be the worst playing table in the world. Anyone who is holding that opinion is pretty much full of it. NO, an actual extension of the rail, backed by wood, with a single pocket facing, IS NOT gonna be "just as bad" as a triple-shimmed pocket.

Even IF the mechanic simply kept the pocket angles as-is, and extended the subrail along with longer cushions, the table BY DEFINITION, has to play better than the tables I have played on here in Germany.

I appreciate those of you in the thread who've tried to stay positive, and are sending out good vibes my way in hopes that the table turns out to play well. I posted the pics so I could bring you guys along for the ride in hopes that a tough situation over here in Germany, with little access to world class table mechanics, might turn out a lot better than expected. The guy sent me pictures of a work in progress, for Christ's sake. Definitely doesn't look like Mark Gregory's work, but definitely looks better than just jamming 2-3 hard pocket facings in each pocket.

Last edited:

ShortBusRuss

Silver Member
Should have bought these.

Oh, and another thing... While those rails really do look nice, I wouldn't buy them without the mechanic re-routing out the nameplate and scorecounters to sit flush. I have skinned my knuckles open on Brunswicks too often to pay top dollar for a set of rails and still have that problem.

And another thing? LOL. I must admit I do get a chuckle out of people.

It’s your table. Do as you wish. You started this thread by describing your loss because you don’t play on a Diamond. Well I happen to believe a good player adjusts. To ANY table.

I won’t go into my membership on this site but trust me it’s more than you think.

In regards to what I would or wouldn’t spend....in January I purchased a NEW GCV tournament addition with ball return. Do the math. I own more in cues that surpass the cost of that table by 3 times.

So I don’t think I would even wink at the cost of the rails, the shipping or the import fees. However I love the rails I posted. Almost makes me wish I had my GCIII around to put them on.

Conclusion......it’s your table.

Like a family member once told me about there children....yes they are fu$&@;d up but they are my children. So that table is your child. It’s just an awful waste of time, money and actually this post. Trust me you will agree when it’s done. You should stop right now. Cut your losses. Buy rails for find someone better. There is no way in hell its going to play anywhere close to a diamond or any well engineered GC.

Octoberfest coming. Look forward to that. Not the table.

Cheers.

Maybe. Look at the canvas. It's under. It's over on Diamond.

I think Diamond should follow his JC's installation method.

Yes. He explained that. I have seen it done both ways and to be honest I am not sure which is the best. Canvas up or down. Arguments in both directions. Joey, when you get a moment please PM me your number. I need to get some more work done on some cues.

JC

Coos Cues
Oh, and another thing... While those rails really do look nice, I wouldn't buy them without the mechanic re-routing out the nameplate and scorecounters to sit flush. I have skinned my knuckles open on Brunswicks too often to pay top dollar for a set of rails and still have that problem.

I got rid of my gold crown and bought a diamond and the main reason was the metal on the rails causes too many shots to be adjusted to avoid raking the shaft on metal.

JC

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I got rid of my gold crown and bought a diamond and the main reason was the metal on the rails causes too many shots to be adjusted to avoid raking the shaft on metal.

JC

And how does your Diamond play with the cushions mounted cloth side up?....LOL

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Got any facts as to why, or is that nust your opinion? Artemis recommends canvas up...why is that?
Hi, Im back. Please make no mistake...... The cushions are not installed upside down. The cushions used here are Artemis Intercontinenntal k-66 which is actually a K-55 3c profile. The customer requested this cushion. They are installed correctly for pocket pool. Cushions that are designed with an arc are made to be installed arc on the top. This arc has two purposes.... Its designed to make a smooth transition from the height of the subrail down to the nose height of the cushion as well as multiple approach angles for the cue. Meaning the tip of the cue can remain resting on or the same distance from the cushion as the elevation of the butt of the cue changes. I have seen people and manufacturers install them both ways but they were not designed that way. To place the canvas control strip on the top produces a harder impact and stiffer rebound which is ok for 3c but not necessary for lighter 2-1/4" pool balls. To install this type of cushion upside down makes for a flat tapered bevel on top of the rail which leaves an unsightly edge under the cloth and no smooth transition. it also makes for a bulbous cushion effect on the underside of the rail with transfers visually to the pocket facings.
Quote from
J.Chambers and I believe him.

Attachments

• cushions .jpg
    cushions .jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Quote from
J.Chambers and I believe him.

Joey, that quote from JC is not facts, just like the fabric control strip...mounted on top makes the cushions play to stiff, really? Tell that to Artemis when the make the Artemis pool cushions with the control fabric on top, while you're at it, tell Brunswick they don't know that they're doing putting the control fabric on the top side of their super speed cushion.

I'll tell you what that facts are....i read the email from Artemis to Chad at Diamond when he requested a clarification from THEM as to which way should the cushions be mounted....and canvas side UP was their answer!!! Does JC work for Artemis??????

PS. I really don't care who you believe!!

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Joey, that quote from JC is not facts, just like the fabric control strip...mounted on top makes the cushions play to stiff, really? Tell that to Artemis when the make the Artemis pool cushions with the control fabric on top, while you're at it, tell Brunswick they don't know that they're doing putting the control fabric on the top side of their super speed cushion.

I'll tell you what that facts are....i read the email from Artemis to Chad at Diamond when he requested a clarification from THEM as to which way should the cushions be mounted....and canvas side UP was their answer!!! Does JC work for Artemis??????

PS. I really don't care who you believe!!

Well, I believe JC.
And Mark and Steve.