Did a change in management ruin Trick Shot Magic?

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Saw an interesting thread on reddit's billiards section the other day, which basically said
that when Andy Segal took over Trick Shot magic, he changed the rules and ruined it. I haven't watched in years
but I know it was one of the few pool shows that consistently got airtime on TV.
So I hate to think the quality went downhill.

In a nutshell, under the old rules you had to recreate the shot the other guy did.
In the new rules, you can do a different shot, as long as it's classified as harder.
This encourages players to just master a handful of specific hard shots that will always trump
whatever their opponent tries. Sounds like it reduces variety.

j13smiley

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
as a fan... i had a tough time watching trick shot tourney on tv. they did get air time which always surprised me. maybe the public in general liked watching it more than 9 ball :(

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
Yeah, I never got the fascination especially when when the new tricks all involved using six cues at the same time ... WTF!

Vince_Former_BB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree. Now they use 22 cues, cues to steer the balls in a direction, racks to increase the area the cue ball can hit and still make the shot, props etc. Its boring to me. Add to that a couple of fat guys who have no strokes whatsoever and it's nauseating and has zero to do with pool. Trick shots used to be born out of some guy getting into a bad situation and coming up with something super creative to get out of it. Real stroke shots, real genius.

poolguppy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree. Now they use 22 cues, cues to steer the balls in a direction, racks to increase the area the cue ball can hit and still make the shot, props etc. Its boring to me. Add to that a couple of fat guys who have no strokes whatsoever and it's nauseating and has zero to do with pool. Trick shots used to be born out of some guy getting into a bad situation and coming up with something super creative to get out of it. Real stroke shots, real genius.

His name is Efren :)

Vince_Former_BB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will admit I've seen some prop trick shot guys who have total control. There was an Asian guy who did trick shots with coke bottles that were remarkable. That Venom dude who does the masses is amazing too and I've seen some 3 cushion stroke shots that are mind boggling. Watching guys miss their own attempt three times in a row should be embarrassing I would think.