Did I do wrong?

Harold Smith

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is what happened and need to know your thoughts. Yesterday was playing one pocket with some friends and this family comes in with 2 kids, I'd say 5 and 7 years old. They sit them down at a serving table and the kids start doing homework. There was a guy talking to a girl close by and every other word out of his mouth was f this and mf that, I walk over to inform him of the 2 kids and that he might want to watch his language, he told me hey this is a poolhall not a church and they came here. What is ya'll thoughts on this matter.--Smitty

Inaction

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess he may have the right to use immature junior high language. But he shows even less class by not stopping.

I outgrew that language at about age 19.

You did the right thing.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is what happened and need to know your thoughts. Yesterday was playing one pocket with some friends and this family comes in with 2 kids, I'd say 5 and 7 years old. They sit them down at a serving table and the kids start doing homework. There was a guy talking to a girl close by and every other word out of his mouth was f this and mf that, I walk over to inform him of the 2 kids and that he might want to watch his language, he told me hey this is a poolhall not a church and they came here. What is ya'll thoughts on this matter.--Smitty

You absolutely did the right thing. Maybe you should have gotten the houseman/room owner involved. If you want families to frequent poolrooms there has to be an inviting atmosphere. Kudos to you, Harold.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
I would have insisted that he shut the hell up.
In my pool hall we have plenty of guys who would back my play, from the manager on down.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I think you're lucky it didn't escalate into a fight. You can't talk to anybody these days. I think the best move would have been to go to whoever was in charge of the pool room and tell them. If it's just an employee, then maybe suggest that they offer to move the family to another table, away from where those people were standing. Then tell the owner next time you see him or her.

Last edited:

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
We had a similar situation at the room I frequent just a few weeks ago where a 40ish year old big muscled fellow was very loudly mother effing every shot he missed or that his buddy made and I mean this guy's voice was booming.

There were some pre-teens with their mom down the other end of the room but this guys was loud enough to fill the joint easily.

My pal NY Larry was there and he told me this guy was a tree guy or heavy-equipment operator or something along those lines and that he has hearing loss and doesn't realize how loud he is.

He was asked to knock off the vulgarity and he did. :)

Harold, no doubt about it, you did the right thing.

I have a bit of an occasional potty mouth myself but am keen on shielding others who don't know me from hearing it - not just kids.

It's simply being considerate.

best,
brian kc.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member

Harold,

Many years ago, a local pool room invited a Boy Scout troop to come and play on a Saturday afternoon. Strongly suggested to the manager he turn off the "juke box" while the kids were there. He refused as the room makes money from customers paying to listen to the "music". Sure enough, a local smart a$$ decided to play some uncensered Rap. Never saw the troop again. And some of us wonder why the game is thought of as it is! Wish there were more people like you around pool rooms.

Lyn

tashworth19191

Pool will make you humble
Silver Member
I was a in the Navy and picked up a bad habit of poor langauge, plus I hung out with people that were not of good moral character in the 1980's. It took me awhile, but I think I broke that bad habit years ago. Now I get onto my wife when she swears. Too me it shows that you are trying to be a bad a$$ or that you have low intelligence. It is sad how our culture has gone to having popular songs, TV and print that shows a total disrespect to women, religion and family unity. Done preaching....

Yes you did the right thing.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
At OP, thank you for being a gentleman!

I normally agree with FranCrimi's suggestion, let the person in charge of the poolhall know your concerns, and let them handle it. However, its a fundamental problem of our society where we have to second guess ourselves whether asking politely will result in a knee jerk violent reaction.

@ Cardiac Kid, one of the local poolhall owner regularly rebuffs customers requests to turn down the music during the slow daytime hours, and yesterday I heard a rumor (terrible, if true) of the same owner telling a customer to 'let's take it outside'.

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

Two stories:

20 years ago my wife and I were with another couple and we went to a designated rural area for rifle target practice. A man was parked next to us in a beater car with his trunk open. He was shooting away with a high power rifle with no ear protection. Right behind him, in the car trunk, was a baby, maybe 6 to 8 months old, in a car seat. I looked and was horrified to see the baby had no ear protection.

I spoke to the other couple and my wife that I wanted to say something to him about it. They all stopped me from saying anything, fearing that it might erupt.

To this day I am ashamed of myself for listening to them.

Second story - much later: My wife and 8 year old daughter went to Appleby's for dinner and they sat us next to the bar. Two young guys were drinking and cussing and it seemed every other word was "F___". Without asking anyone this time I went over to them, as nicely as I could, and asked them to please keep the language down. At first they seemed fine with it, looked at me a few times, I think they got pissed off, picked up and left. I was definitely ready for a brawl and this time I didn't give a shit. I was steamed myself and plenty willing if necessary.

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
. I think the best move would have been to go to whoever was in charge of the pool room and tell them.

This sage advice to avoid any confrontation in a business establishment. I have never done it that way, but I consider it smart.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

This may not be what you want to hear, but too a degree the a$$-hole is correct. I would go to management and let them handle it. Having a confrontation is not worth it. You do not represent the public behavior police.

The guy is already telegraphing what kind of person he is with his language. and how he may take your criticism as you soon discovered. People don't really like being told what to do.

I know you are going to get keyboard tough guys on here telling you they would do this and that but the truth is, minding your own business is usually the best policy.

One here guy mentioned he has friends who would back him. There is a saying "A dog never sh!ts where he eats".
You don't need enemies, especially ones you don't even know you have.

I once saved the life of a guy who was almost killed by someone he didn't even remember over something he didn't even remember. This was also a guy who was a well known "Tush hog", afraid of no one.

Well he didn't see this guy coming and I did and I also remembered the guy and knew what was about to happen. Back to your original question.

I don't think you have any guaranteed expatiation that bringing kids to a pool room will provide them a positive experience. I am afraid some bad language is not the worst thing they will be exposed to in life. Certainly not worth fighting over, or worst.

Oh, and I should mention, this may not be over. You have no idea what kind of psychopath this guy could be.

Last edited:

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you're lucky it didn't escalate into a fight. You can't talk to anybody these days. I think the best move would have been to go to whoever was in charge of the pool room and tell them. If it's just an employee, then maybe suggest that they offer to move the family to another table, away from where those people were standing. Then tell the owner next time you see him or her.

The voice of reason and probably experience.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I know you are going to get keyboard tough guys on here telling you they would do this and that but the truth is, minding your own business is usually the best policy.

I agree with you on most issues and totally respect your opinion. When it comes to certain things, however, like protecting children, your family, your property, I disagree. I want to live a courageous life. If that means taking risks, so be it. Some things are worth the risk.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with you on most issues and totally respect your opinion. When it comes to certain things, however, like protecting children, your family, your property, I disagree. I want to live a courageous life. If that means taking risks, so be it. Some things are worth the risk.

It is my opinion but also my experience. I once offended a very heavy duty guy without even knowing it. I was dead if not for Danny DiLiberto intervening on my behalf.

This psycho idolized Danny and listened to him that what he though in is little pea brain was not at all what happened.

Regarding this situation, from what I could gather, the OP didn't even know these people with the kids. Let the father say something if he wants or take the kids out of there.

Chances are there was probably drinking and gambling going on as well. Maybe even by the OP that was so protective of these children. Truth is, they probably didn't belong there in the first place.
This is not a debate just my opinion from almost 70 years of hanging around the planet. Humans are dangerous animals.

Last edited:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would leave it up to the proprietor. Not every pool hall is the same. In some places there are more people likely to cuss than kids doing homework and the place would go out of business if they drove off their customers who cuss.

Other pool halls may have more of a library vibe and get a majority of their business from families with kids doing homework.

The proprietor has to figure out what type of environment he wants in order to attract the most customers so he can avoid going out of business.