Did I run my first rack of 9-ball?

Robroy

Robin Dodson
Silver Member
Nah..... I would write this rack off. You don't want to have your "ran a rack cherry" broke, on this one. Allow me to throw a couple of things out there, for you to consider on why you should just forget this rack ever happened.

1. League match, means your were probably playing on a bar table (those little small things) You don't want to feel pride, until you break and run a rack on a 9 ft'er.

2. You say you missed a bank on the 6. That probably means you got out of line getting on the 6, forcing you to bank it, or you didn't break it out of there or move the offending balls out of the way, so you would have a much easier shot on the 6. Either way you missed the 6. Deal breaker.

3. You slopped a ball in.... another deal breaker. You can't have your "ran a rack cherry" broken with A SLOPPED IN SHOT!!!

The whole rack stunk like the car in front of you with the bad catalytic converter. RUN from that rack!!! Erase it from you memory!!! It didn't happen!!!!

C'mon man.... you've got 700 some posts here and you've never ran a rack of 9 ball on a bar table? Where's your focus, dude???? Get your life straight, you need to quit your job, drop that ball and chain of a wife/girlfriend and sh1tcan all of your lame buddies. Go to the poolhall and get on a 9 ft table and announce you don't play good, but you got a pocket full of money and you want to learn.

You soon have lots of new friends and they'll "teach" you to become better so you can RUN a REAL rack.

You do that for ole Red, then you come on back and tell us you ran a REAL RACK, and how GOOD that felt!!!!!

Bank on Brother!!! ®

(note: the above words were meant to be in humor, in no way am I ragging on the OP, congratulations on your "run" and here's to more in the future!:D)

Everyone is full of them tonight...Simon must be getting to us

I agree that you not count this one...there is much better racks soon to come.

JesseAllred

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
great job!! more are soon to follow, and the first break-n-run might be any time now. If I could suggest a great practice to get your mind wrapped around the idea of what it feels like to break and run out consistently. take an hour next time you play and break then play every shot until you miss or get bad shape. set the balls back in position until you get it right, play every game that way, a perfect break and run each time. you should be able to "break and run" about 12 racks in an hour. consider them perfect runouts no matter how many tries some shots might take.

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
Last night while playing the 9-ball segment of my league match, my opponent sunk 2 balls and the cue ball in on the break. With ball in hand, I took position on the 1-ball, and preceded make every shot in order except a missed bank on the 6-ball which kicked in the 8-ball into the side pocket. This gave me another shot at the 6 and a great position sinking the 9-ball. After the game, my opponent came out of his chair, congratulated me and offered to buy me a drink.

Running 7 balls is the most I ever ran in 9-ball, so I'm proud of that. Did I run my first rack of 9-ball, even with the luck shot?

In my opinion, by the way you worded it, no. To run your first rack of 9-ball you gotta be breaking. Now, if you had asked if you ran out your first rack, yeah. But I don't believe it was your first. At least not by the way you described it. Again, my opinion only, in your scenario your opponent broke, made 2 balls and scratched. What if he had made 5 balls on the break and scratched? It happens. To me it's the exact same thing. Starting with ball in hand....sketchy. Don't get me wrong, I applaud you for taking the BIH and finishing the rack off. Great job, and from what you say it is a big achievement for you. Congratulations. But as you get better you'll find yourself finishing racks off like this more often.

So, in my own opinion, you need to break and run out to use the phrase "I ran my first rack of 9-ball".

MULLY
no worries on the slop on the 8. It's 9-ball and those are the rules so it's a fair shot. Nothing to be ashamed of. I hate when people complain about someone slopping in a ball on them. My reply to them is "So you never slop one in?" Again, it's in the rules. I wish they would remove it, but, until then, you just have to accept it.

Jimbojim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You ran out, it was a one inning game and that is all that matters. You could not have been asked to do more in the given scenario. Nice shooting.

People tend to get too worked up about runouts, break and runouts etc. The act is held so high on a pedestal that they tend to falter because of it.

I agree with that. I think the best scenario is to realize that you broke and ran only when you actually sank the 9...not thinking about it during the rack.