Did I run my first rack of 9-ball?

Avathar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TheBook;1710449 It is like making your first million the second million comes easier. [/QUOTE said:
thats why I start with the second...

My first break and runs specially in eightball have been burnt deeply in my mind.. When I become 84 and suffer from Alzheimer and demtia I still will talk about that, i am sure...

I agree, these special times when you run your first rack, etc can boost your confidence and get you to the next level much quicker...
However do not believe that this now MUST be your standart.. else you miht get frustrated quickly.. be aware that those are high runs that slowly become more regular

tom mcgonagle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As far as I'm concerned you did. Keep up the good work. I used to keep track of the number of nine-ball racks I ran when I started playing. Luckily I lost track. With one comes another.

stumpie71

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First let me say nice shooting. You ran the rack you were that was available after your opponents break. Nice job! Don't worry about the 6 ball everyone gets a little fortunate while playing. Whether it's slopping a ball or getting shape in a way we didn't intend. Take the positive from your play and don't worry about the technical definition right now.:thumbup:

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
I thank everyone for the compliments because yesterday I ran my first full rack of 8-ball, and today in league practice I did it again!

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Last night playing in the league, I broke and ran out on one game in 9-ball. I ended up losing the match due to a tie breaker. My opponent had the handicap ball advantage in 9-ball, so she picked that game to her advantage.

In 8-ball portion of the match, I made two kick shots. I need to figure out how to transition from feel on kicks and bank shots for more precise aiming and consistency. I visualize the mirror ball as a starting point

Attachments

• kick.JPG
    kick.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 193

Rob_jerrylee

Bustamante's # 1 fan
Silver Member
Update on my last post above : Good Job man , Short story here when I first got my table last year I thought I'd never run a complete rack but after a while I did , I've probably had 8 break and runs on my own table , but for league I've ran 8 balls was my most and I've had a couple close calls for break and runs but keep working on it you'll get the hang of it .:)

timseal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll run the first 7 quite often. Sometimes, I then start thinking "yeah, break and run".

This is when I miss.

Other times I won't even realise it was a break+run until someone says "nice out" or whatever. I just think "oh, really?" Maybe it's just me, but when I play my best I can barely remember it.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
The more racks you run the easier it gets. Once you lose track or at least stop counting them, it become less of big deal therefore the mental barrier just goes away. That's where I see a lot of people fail, when they get down to last couple of balls everything tenses up and they miss position or shots they would never have were it the first couple of balls.

So just keep on plugging. Oh yeah and keep working on your mechanics, never assume they're perfect.

EDIT: I just noticed that I pretty much repeated what I said earlier in the thread. At least I'm consistent lol.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Tonight, I ran another rack of 9-ball from the one ball out in league match. Until I reached the 9-ball, my mindset was care if I missed or not.

On the shots that I missed, I ended up getting a good leave on the next ball. Maybe its a lucky streak, or this time things are actually coming together for me.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Had a great night of pool. My opponent broke, nothing dropped and I proceeded to run out and win with a long 8-ball bank.
After the match I offered to buy my opponent a drink, but he declined. :-(

Last edited:

smoooothstroke

JerLaw
Silver Member
nice

Last night while playing the 9-ball segment of my league match, my opponent sunk 2 balls and the cue ball in on the break. With ball in hand, I took position on the 1-ball, and preceded make every shot in order except a missed bank on the 6-ball which kicked in the 8-ball into the side pocket. This gave me another shot at the 6 and a great position sinking the 9-ball. After the game, my opponent came out of his chair, congratulated me and offered to buy me a drink.

Running 7 balls is the most I ever ran in 9-ball, so I'm proud of that. Did I run my first rack of 9-ball, even with the luck shot?

close enough

Where is this that they buy you a drink for running a rack in league??Im OMW!

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
I play at Amsterdam Billiards in New York City in their Team 8-ball, a league aimed at beginners and intermediates. For me, who may not see another rack run perhaps six months later, this is worth a drink. :)

close enough

Where is this that they buy you a drink for running a rack in league??Im OMW!

"CaliRed".

High Def Videos!!!
Silver Member
Last night while playing the 9-ball segment of my league match, my opponent sunk 2 balls and the cue ball in on the break. With ball in hand, I took position on the 1-ball, and preceded make every shot in order except a missed bank on the 6-ball which kicked in the 8-ball into the side pocket. This gave me another shot at the 6 and a great position sinking the 9-ball. After the game, my opponent came out of his chair, congratulated me and offered to buy me a drink.

Running 7 balls is the most I ever ran in 9-ball, so I'm proud of that. Did I run my first rack of 9-ball, even with the luck shot?

Nah..... I would write this rack off. You don't want to have your "ran a rack cherry" broke, on this one. Allow me to throw a couple of things out there, for you to consider on why you should just forget this rack ever happened.

1. League match, means your were probably playing on a bar table (those little small things) You don't want to feel pride, until you break and run a rack on a 9 ft'er.

2. You say you missed a bank on the 6. That probably means you got out of line getting on the 6, forcing you to bank it, or you didn't break it out of there or move the offending balls out of the way, so you would have a much easier shot on the 6. Either way you missed the 6. Deal breaker.

3. You slopped a ball in.... another deal breaker. You can't have your "ran a rack cherry" broken with A SLOPPED IN SHOT!!!

The whole rack stunk like the car in front of you with the bad catalytic converter. RUN from that rack!!! Erase it from you memory!!! It didn't happen!!!!

C'mon man.... you've got 700 some posts here and you've never ran a rack of 9 ball on a bar table? Where's your focus, dude???? Get your life straight, you need to quit your job, drop that ball and chain of a wife/girlfriend and sh1tcan all of your lame buddies. Go to the poolhall and get on a 9 ft table and announce you don't play good, but you got a pocket full of money and you want to learn.

You soon have lots of new friends and they'll "teach" you to become better so you can RUN a REAL rack.

You do that for ole Red, then you come on back and tell us you ran a REAL RACK, and how GOOD that felt!!!!!

Bank on Brother!!! ®

(note: the above words were meant to be in humor, in no way am I ragging on the OP, congratulations on your "run" and here's to more in the future!:D)

Robroy

Robin Dodson
Silver Member
I WOULD have called it a run-out if you hadn't s**t the 8 ball in. You did recover nicely and get out.
Congrats on that part.
And, as mentioned before, nice display of sprtsmanship by your opponent....unless you are a cute female...In that case he was trying to get some and he is a pig.

lol a couple more lol's because one isn't enough to post