Difficult Draw Shot

VarmintKong

Cannonball comin’!
You must to be able to hit the the shot every way known to mankind and back again.
Draw light or extreme power, any amount of English, lay it up, 1 rail, 2 rails, 3 rails, less or more english. etc.
The King of strokes for this shot is digging under the cueball and dropping in on the opposite side
of the short rail, that's your true tester, if you can stroke that you can draw stroke all other options blindfolded.

This is a stroke drill worked in 4 increments and distance from short to 3/4 length table.
Whatever is easy, how I, or anyone would play it, is irrelevant.
You must have the ability to send your cueball anywhere when called upon.
You must have complete Stroke Control and technique.

When you own the strokes there are no questions, only choices, because you are capable
of doing anything you want with the cue ball.
You only get one chance at a shot.
I've never heard an opponent say,,,, Hey buddy you dogged that stroke
set it up and try it again.
Damn dude, I want you standing over my shoulder when I get lazy and try to take the easy way out.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
For me, the softer stroke draw shot is the right answer. It's a pretty flat angle that isn't really conducive to a 2 rail shot (which you would have to hit pretty hard and then the ball has a tendency to jaw up). Shooting softer, you give the ball a really good chance to go in (picking up natural roll) even if it's slightly mis-hit. And pulling shape is easy with this shot. Just don't over hit it. You can hit it a lot softer than you think.

-td

Beautiful. Great explanation.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would play it to side rails towards nine ball. also to prevent scratches. Also i would(always) use more than tip right english and adjust how low i go. Sometimes you dont need much low to get 2 rail good route.
Agreed.

I would expect a higher success rate from there by playing the 9 into the lower R) pocket of the pic.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For me, the softer stroke draw shot is the right answer. It's a pretty flat angle that isn't really conducive to a 2 rail shot (which you would have to hit pretty hard and then the ball has a tendency to jaw up). Shooting softer, you give the ball a really good chance to go in (picking up natural roll) even if it's slightly mis-hit. And pulling shape is easy with this shot. Just don't over hit it. You can hit it a lot softer than you think.

-td

Something looked unnatural about the first shot. Did you hit it rail first?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe the 2 rail route mentioned in this thread is to play the 9 in the same corner as the 1 rail route, not the opposite corner as shown in the video.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe the 2 rail route mentioned in this thread is to play the 9 in the same corner as the 1 rail route, not the opposite corner as shown in the video.
No I don’t think so, the 2 rail traverse path should put the 9 in the opposite corner. At least that’s my understanding. I don’t see a multi rail path that would put the 9 in the
RH corner.
edit: my bad, you are correct. I misunderstood poolmanis, thanks for that correction. He is just saying the second rail contact at the end of the roll of the CB with the 9 going in the RH corner.

Last edited:

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
I actually think it was "2 side rails" which would cross the table twice, no? [shooting 9 in the opposite corner]. Maybe I read it wrong.

I don't think I hit it rail first. I shot it a few times. Video should be high enough quality to watch in slow motion zoomed in as well.

-td

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
View attachment 660110
I find this a difficult draw shot to make consistently. The red dot cue ball is the starting point. The plane cue ball is the target after cutting the 8 ball in the upper left pocket. The objective is to make the 9 ball in the upper right pocket.

Do you find it difficult and how do you shoot it?
From the angle of the cueball that is not too hard, but I would not try to draw it back without hitting a rail, my aiming point would be beween the 1st and 2nd diamonds on the side rail. This is actually a shot that I used to test spin of shafts and tips with, hit it with low right, with the object ball maybe 1/2 inch off the rail and see how far down the table I can put the cueball, the closest to the corner pocket the more spin/draw action the shaft/tip gets.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, but most of my OP friends have passed away. I am79.
I’m 55

My parents were pretty old when I was born. My friends for the most part have always been much older then me. I’ve lost so many friends in the last few years. I understand very well.

My new friends are all much younger than me. I like younger people, of course they don’t understand lots of things as they are young. I can’t stand “kids or immature” people.

Funny as we go through life the people who come into our life’s.

Stay strong, fit and enjoy.
Best
Fatboy<———on the back 9 now as well.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
View attachment 660110
I find this a difficult draw shot to make consistently. The red dot cue ball is the starting point. The plane cue ball is the target after cutting the 8 ball in the upper left pocket. The objective is to make the 9 ball in the upper right pocket.

I don't think its possible to get the CB there, if the 8 is frozen. If the 8 was 1" off the rail, maybe. I will try it and post a video. Its a good excuse to get a month of paperwork off of my table:)

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I actually think it was "2 side rails" which would cross the table twice, no? [shooting 9 in the opposite corner]. Maybe I read it wrong.

I don't think I hit it rail first. I shot it a few times. Video should be high enough quality to watch in slow motion zoomed in as well.

-td
I think it was actually the way you hit the second shot in your video, but just with a little more speed and have the CB hit the long rail 1 diamond higher than it did, then head towards the bottom rail.

I don't believe its possible to get the exact path the OP showed in his diagram. The angle looks too sharp for me, especially with the 8 ball frozen. I'll try it on my table soon and see what results I get.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I just shot this for 20 minutes. Here is my banger take: If you set up on a 9' table exactly how it is in the first post (at least my interpretation of it).... 8 ball frozen to the rail, and its front edge even with the middle of the diamond, and the CB center exactly on the foot string and first diamond intersection, Efren Reyes is not getting the CB to take the path in that picture and stop on that spot.

Now, if you move the 8 off the rail about 1", you can come all the way to the bottom rail.

The video shows my makes on this shot. Each time I was just trying for maximum spin, but there is enough variation because I'm me:). The last couple of shots I moved the 8 about 1" off the rail.

The shot at 14 sec I have no idea how I got to the bottom rail. I didn't get close to that spot again.

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
Disregard the numbers on the balls, you get the point.
As I posted earlier, you must to be able to hit the the shot every way known to mankind and back again.

The draw and forward tracks are blocked.
Extreme Left English around 7:00 - 8:00. ---1/2 draw punch stroke----power depends on cloth and rails.
It's not as difficult as it may appear, you have to hit it smooth and clean.
If you can't use the extreme edge of the cue ball and also be accurate you will learn.

The Stroke.png

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

-td

Thanks for the professional response.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As I posted earlier, you must to be able to hit the the shot every way known to mankind and back again.

Extreme Left English around 7:00 - 8:00. ---1/2 draw punch stroke----power depends on cloth and rails.
If you can't use the extreme edge of the cue ball and also be accurate you will learn.

View attachment 660378
That is a very tough option for sure…at least for me. I agree with you 100% though, if we want to achieve max potential it is a must to have in the tool bag. Whenever I try I either get plenty of spin with very little movement, or plenty of movement without any spin to kick it down table. I’ll be working on this option, thanks guys. Hanging around you all here on the forum can be humbling…in a good way!

Softail Rider

Registered

View attachment 660378
I think for that shot to work you have to hit the rail 1st, that's how i was taught anyway!

Reactions: bbb

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
Not hard as it is listed, move it off the rail just a bit and it becomes much tougher.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
View attachment 660110

Can't argue with Thomas.(TD873) A good guy and he doesn't speak unless he knows what he is saying.

Looking at your nine ball I would probably just run the cue ball around a dead empty table. Distance isn't much of an issue without traffic. I am probably headed for the other side of the nine ball too. Short side of the table doesn't mean anything when it is less than half a ball.

If anybody has the DVD's I think three days with Li'l Joe Villalpando has a very similar shot in it. I think he said just a touch rail first and he too said the shot didn't need to be hit hard. Sorry, my copy is in storage and I don't have a DVD player these days or I would try to find the shot.

That is low right english to do it. I do not find this shot difficult, but Everybody excels at different shots. For me, my nemesis is inside english.

Apologies, I realize you didn't ask for advice and I am going to give a little anyway. I too struggled with inside english, a long long time ago. Then one day I decided it was just another shot. Over half my problem had been in my head and inside english got a lot easier. When playing nine or ten ball I often have a youngster jump out of their chair to ask what I did, or try to see, way to late of course. Inside english is one of my old guy tricks to use air brakes on the cue ball instead of dealing with traffic.

Hu

As soon as you decide there is nothing intrinsically harder about hitting with inside english it becomes much easier. I would add fifteen minutes of practicing it every session until you use it as readily as any other shot.

Hu

HueblerHustler7

AndrewActionG
Silver Member
I love draw shots, pretty easy for me because I grinded myself training my stroke using draw. Use lower right, stroke don't poke.