Ding, ding, ding

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a dent/gash on a shaft that my local repairman was not so confident could be repaired. He thought the edge looked too sharp and that the wood fibers might be torn. Fortunately, the blemish is close enough to the joint end of the shaft that I cannot feel it while playing. It is not under the finish.

Are some dings so severe that they cannot be raised? Is it better to just leave the ding alone?

Attachments

• 1005150726 cropped.jpg
    1005150726 cropped.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 556

cuebuyer4u

Gamble Cues
Silver Member
You can sand that spot to open the pores then place a small piece of wet paper towel balled up on top of it for a while this should cause some swelling in the wood then sand add a few drops of superglue to the dent and sand it to be flush with the rest of the shaft it shouldnt be a hard job

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the responses. It is a great shaft and I want to keep good care of it. I don't ding my cues often and it makes me sick when I do.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Myself, I would leave it be since it is near the joint and not near where you stroke.

Yes, there are ding that cannot be repaired, my German Shepard pup Max that I had years ago opened my case, and got two Scruggs shafts out, to use as tooth picks. There was no fixing the dents on those.

How that dog got the case open is still a mystery to me.

ratcues

No yodeling, please.
Silver Member
Wet a Q-tip, place it on the dent, tape it with masking tape or a small Band-aid (no Scotch tape) and let it sit overnight. Repeat if necessary.

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
That shaft made good solid contact with a thin edged metal object at some point,maybe on the edge of a table rail,etc.

I fix these by covering them with a small piece of fresh paper towel that has been lightly moistened with water.

Then I heat up a smooth-edged stainless knife (like for butter or cake icing) with a lighter for 60 seconds or so.

Apply knife to paper for a few seconds,then remove paper,wipe the shaft dry and inspect.

If you do it just right,you can make it invisible with a dime-sized piece of 400 after that.

You might have to repeat,but it works. Tommy D.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many thanks to each of you for answering. I even had an amazing generous offer by PM from cuewould to repair the ding free of charge if I paid shipping. As I mentioned, the ding is not at a critical place on the shaft, so this in not an emergency. Your responses have convinced me that the repair is worth the effort.

I will be playing in the TAP National Tournament in November and will probably also go to Derby City in January. I will take the shaft with me. Most likely, Joe Blackburn will be at one or both events and can repair the shaft.

Thank you again. You guys are great. This is the best section of AZB. I read the ATC threads every time I visit the site.

Dognit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If ya cut the wood fibers, it generally takes 2 or 3 tries to get it out, but usually does. If you use the CA fill method, make sure to re-blue the shaft, or youll have a big white spot.