Discussion anyone?

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I use to do this Tuesday night 9 ball tournament, some of regulars were not skillful. They were always trying to billiard off some to make 9.

They seldom did doo doo.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Easier said than swallowed.
If "someone" really want to compete in tournaments seriously, he has to find a way to handle such things. And to it s just about you how to respond to circumstances you have no influence to change it-

But you decide how you response to such things. :)

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hear you but I would redact from "The Harsh Truth: Skill Isn’t Everything" to "read books/take lessons because knowledge is everything".

I would redact from "Pool Takes a Long Time To Master" to "speed the time with a good lesson."
Improvement by instruction can be an elusive thing. It's contingent on the learners state of preparation for one - both technically and academically and worst case, can take a longer time to get with the program than the student has patience. I believe most of us here learn pretty quickly but for me that's mostly shortcut. I've made my most solid gains by slowing down enough for the whole system to get up to speed.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If "someone" really want to compete in tournaments seriously, he has to find a way to handle such things. And to it s just about you how to respond to circumstances you have no influence to change it-

But you decide how you response to such things. :)
Me: mostly grudgingly. I'm simply not prepared to play the full range of pool. Hypothetically, even given the facilities and train time, my preference would still be to just blow their doors off. :D

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Me: mostly grudgingly. I'm simply not prepared to play the full range of pool. Hypothetically, even given the facilities and train time, my preference would still be to just blow their doors off. :D
Don t get me wrong- i hear you for sure. Ran through stuff 30 years ago...where i was close to would have loved to hit someone for his "luck", LOL. But it doesn t really help at all :)
Loosing Hill/Hill in the semi finals of german nationals because of "century fluke" on the final 8ball......-- I still have this picture in mind as soon as the layout of the shot comes up in a game, lol. And then i really have to grin or even laugh sometimes- just because it comes up again in my mind^^.

Mental preparation is a tough process. But hey- it s our own decision how we want to play the game- just for fun, or for serious competition.
Both at the same time helps for sure. To know why you play the game is already good to know :p (and there are many who could not even answer this SIMPLE question as well, grin).

have a great day straightline and hit em hard.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Improvement by instruction can be an elusive thing. It's contingent on the learners state of preparation for one - both technically and academically and worst case, can take a longer time to get with the program than the student has patience. I believe most of us here learn pretty quickly but for me that's mostly shortcut. I've made my most solid gains by slowing down enough for the whole system to get up to speed.
Yes and a good instructor takes full responsibility for their student's learning. That's a "law of the teacher".

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I laugh when a friend or fellow pool player says, "Can you believe that!", whenever their opponent gets a roll or leaves them like shit through mere luck or happenstance.

YES, I can believe it, because in my 35+ years of playing pool there's probably not a lucky shot or lucky leave that I haven't seen multiple times. So why do so many players act like it's a rare occurrence when some odd unlucky or lucky roll happens? Fact is, this stuff happens so often that any player with any experience should just smile at it and not act like they've never seen such a roll.

And honestly, more times than not, a shooter’s "bad" or "unlucky" roll is the result of carelessness or lack of proper attention. If you're opponent gets a lucky roll and leaves you snookered, and it's not your first time at the table, you can probably blame yourself for failing to keep control of the table in the first place.

This happens all too often.... Player 1 runs a few balls, then misses the 7 ball and leaves his opponent the 7, 8 and 9. Player 2 pockets the 7 and then misses the 8 but leaves player 1 snookered behind the 9 by accident, leaving no shot on the 8 ball. Player 1 kicks at the 8, gets a good hit, but leaves an easy shot and player 2 pockets the 8 and 9 for the win. Player 1 then turns to his buddies and says, "Can you believe that shit? What a lucky roll!"

The truth is, player 1 lost the game because he missed the 7 ball, not because his opponent got a lucky roll on him.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don t get me wrong- i hear you for sure. Ran through stuff 30 years ago...where i was close to would have loved to hit someone for his "luck", LOL. But it doesn t really help at all :)
Loosing Hill/Hill in the semi finals of german nationals because of "century fluke" on the final 8ball......-- I still have this picture in mind as soon as the layout of the shot comes up in a game, lol. And then i really have to grin or even laugh sometimes- just because it comes up again in my mind^^.

Mental preparation is a tough process. But hey- it s our own decision how we want to play the game- just for fun, or for serious competition.
Both at the same time helps for sure. To know why you play the game is already good to know :p (and there are many who could not even answer this SIMPLE question as well, grin).

have a great day straightline and hit em hard.
That's gotta be a major burn. Glad I'm not there. :D

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I laugh when a friend or fellow pool player says, "Can you believe that!", whenever their opponent gets a roll or leaves them like shit through mere luck or happenstance.

YES, I can believe it, because in my 35+ years of playing pool there's probably not a lucky shot or lucky leave that I haven't seen multiple times. So why do so many players act like it's a rare occurrence when some odd unlucky or lucky roll happens? Fact is, this stuff happens so often that any player with any experience should just smile at it and not act like they've never seen such a roll.

And honestly, more times than not, a shooter’s "bad" or "unlucky" roll is the result of carelessness or lack of proper attention. If you're opponent gets a lucky roll and leaves you snookered, and it's not your first time at the table, you can probably blame yourself for failing to keep control of the table in the first place.

This happens all too often.... Player 1 runs a few balls, then misses the 7 ball and leaves his opponent the 7, 8 and 9. Player 2 pockets the 7 and then misses the 8 but leaves player 1 snookered behind the 9 by accident, leaving no shot on the 8 ball. Player 1 kicks at the 8, gets a good hit, but leaves an easy shot and player 2 pockets the 8 and 9 for the win. Player 1 then turns to his buddies and says, "Can you believe that shit? What a lucky roll!"

The truth is, player 1 lost the game because he missed the 7 ball, not because his opponent got a lucky roll on him.
But why didn’t player two lose the game for missing the eight? Lol

• Haha
Reactions: bbb

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
But why didn’t player two lose the game for missing the eight? Lol

Lol.... "Player 2 pockets the 7 and then misses the 8 but leaves player 1 snookered behind the 9 by accident, leaving no shot on the 8 ball."

Player 2 had the nuts and dogged the out when he missed the 7. Anything that happens after that can be attributed to that miss on the 7.

Too many players like to believe they lose because of some fluke roll or bad luck, but most of the time the loss is a direct result of fk'n up prior to any fluke or lucky roll your opponent gets afterwards.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lol.... "Player 2 pockets the 7 and then misses the 8 but leaves player 1 snookered behind the 9 by accident, leaving no shot on the 8 ball."

Player 2 had the nuts and dogged the out when he missed the 7. Anything that happens after that can be attributed to that miss on the 7.

Too many players like to believe they lose because of some fluke roll or bad luck, but most of the time the loss is a direct result of fk'n up prior to any fluke or lucky roll your opponent gets afterwards.
i would phrase it
your suffering because of HIS lucky roll was the unfortunate (to you) consequence of you giving HIM the opportunity to get "lucky"
said another way
if you didnt give him the opportuninty
you wouldnt have been "unlucky" from his shot

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
artie bodendorfer was a famous onepocket player from chicago
he used to say
if you found yourself in a bad trap
you should think back to what were the sequence of shots that let your opponent be able to trap you
and learn from that

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I like "Grady's Rules".
Call all pockets just like in straights. Three foul rule is in effect.
If a player misses a called shot then the opponent has the option of making him shoot again.
That takes care of those "lucky" snookers.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like "Grady's Rules".
Call all pockets just like in straights. Three foul rule is in effect.
If a player misses a called shot then the opponent has the option of making him shoot again.
That takes care of those "lucky" snookers.
That's approaching armed biker bar rules. Requires higher stakes than I can play just to get interested. Works for TV seven ball but only just. I think the best solution to pool is learn to habitually put stacks (o' racks) on the competition.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's approaching armed biker bar rules. Requires higher stakes than I can play just to get interested. Works for TV seven ball but only just. I think the best solution to pool is learn to habitually put stacks (o' racks) on the competition.
The aforementioned "Grady's Rules" are catching on pretty good around this state in amateur events. Eventually pros will like it too...the evolution is inevitable. (Grady Matthews was a very good pro who liked to bet large cash or small cash on games, you know)
I don't know why you think anyone in their right mind would go into what you call an "armed biker bar" to bet money on anything in the first place. Kinda' dumb to be there at all around those thugs. I won't even hire out to work on the tables in those places
We are small time senior retirement type bettors around here. Race to 3 or 4 in 9-Ball or 8-Ball for 25 bucks and the loser pays the time, is quite normal. Winning these matches pays for a lot of oil changes at Jiffy Lube, co-pays for doctor visits, fishing stuff at the bait shop, lawn services, stuff at Lowe's or Harbor Freight Tools, and those 'surprise' everyday expenses that pop up. Those little scores really add up when managed correctly and help out. That sure isn't high stakes by any means....how would that kind of action not concern you or ruin your interest?
How does one get to watch "TV Seven Ball"...? I'd like to see how it works. Our TV sets don't pick it up...I can't even find it on the web? 7-Ball might be a good game to throw into the mix.
TY for your time.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The aforementioned "Grady's Rules" are catching on pretty good around this state in amateur events. Eventually pros will like it too...the evolution is inevitable. (Grady Matthews was a very good pro who liked to bet large cash or small cash on games, you know)
I don't know why you think anyone in their right mind would go into what you call an "armed biker bar" to bet money on anything in the first place. Kinda' dumb to be there at all around those thugs. I won't even hire out to work on the tables in those places
We are small time senior retirement type bettors around here. Race to 3 or 4 in 9-Ball or 8-Ball for 25 bucks and the loser pays the time, is quite normal. Winning these matches pays for a lot of oil changes at Jiffy Lube, co-pays for doctor visits, fishing stuff at the bait shop, lawn services, stuff at Lowe's or Harbor Freight Tools, and those 'surprise' everyday expenses that pop up. Those little scores really add up when managed correctly and help out. That sure isn't high stakes by any means....how would that kind of action not concern you or ruin your interest?
How does one get to watch "TV Seven Ball"...? I'd like to see how it works. Our TV sets don't pick it up...I can't even find it on the web? 7-Ball might be a good game to throw into the mix.
TY for your time.
I'm familiar with the Mathews legacy. Friend of mine used to play him at Pool Sharks or something in LV. Good player but a customer for the heavies by his own admission.

TV 7 ball was the 7 ball they tried on ESPN or maybe earlier on Wide World of Sports I can't recall. It was very dull. Call pocket, a miss is an option situation for the incoming player. That might have been Tournament of Champions as well. that also was dull but for the quick thrills final.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Here's a youtube video of the game. There are several matches on there with the greats of yesteryear.

I'm trying to remember the rules, you can figure them out by watching, they tell the rules on some of the matches.

Lag for break. The breaker breaks. The non-breaker then picks a "side" of the table and puts a marker on. The breaker gets the other side. The 7 ball must be made on "your" side of the table consisting of both corner pockets and the side pocket on the same rail.

I forget if it's call or not, but having half the table for the 7 sometimes leads to some interesting situations. Either bank it or play shape to get onto it, or push it to your side through the game. I used to play it with my wife, it's a pretty interesting game though world beaters might not find it too challenging.

EDIT: I think it is a call pocket game. 7 on the break is a win. 7 on the break and a scratch is a loss. Illegally pocketed balls are spotted in a line starting at the spot. 3 foul rule is in effect. BIH on fouls.

There was another 7 ball game played later that IIRC was Sudden death 7 ball.

If a player fails to pocket a ball, the other player is awarded ball ball-in-hand priviliges. To prevent this from happening, the player at the table must invoke a safety (by calling it). Each player may call a safety only one time per rack.

The seven-ball has to be called before being pocketed. Failing to call the 7 ball or calling a pocket other than where it was actually pocketed, results in the seven-ball being re-spotted and player at the table loses his turn. Winning by pocketing the seven-ball off the break wasn't permitted.

There is also this version: http://www.billiardsforum.com/pool-rules/seven-ball-billiard-rules

Another EDIT: Search on youtube for "The Legendary Stars of Pocket Billiards" and you'll be in for a treat! Lots of 7 ball and other games. I've never seen any other than the ones I posted earlier, recorded with a camcorder off a CRT television. There are a lot more matches on there now, I know what I'm going to be watching tonight! :D

Last edited:

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's a youtube video of the game. There are several matches on there with the greats of yesteryear.

I'm trying to remember the rules, you can figure them out by watching, they tell the rules on some of the matches.

Lag for break. The breaker breaks. The non-breaker then picks a "side" of the table and puts a marker on. The breaker gets the other side. The 7 ball must be made on "your" side of the table consisting of both corner pockets and the side pocket on the same rail.

I forget if it's call or not, but having half the table for the 7 sometimes leads to some interesting situations. Either bank it or play shape to get onto it, or push it to your side through the game. I used to play it with my wife, it's a pretty interesting game though world beaters might not find it too challenging.

EDIT: I think it is a call pocket game. 7 on the break is a win. 7 on the break and a scratch is a loss. Illegally pocketed balls are spotted in a line starting at the spot. 3 foul rule is in effect. BIH on fouls.

There was another 7 ball game played later that IIRC was Sudden death 7 ball.

There is also this version: http://www.billiardsforum.com/pool-rules/seven-ball-billiard-rules

Another EDIT: Search on youtube for "The Legendary Stars of Pocket Billiards" and you'll be in for a treat! Lots of 7 ball and other games. I've never seen any other than the ones I posted earlier, recorded with a camcorder off a CRT television. There are a lot more matches on there now, I know what I'm going to be watching tonight! :D
TY for your obviously lengthy work...explaining, posting video, etc.
The posted rules for this 7 -Ball game are a little too complex to suit my tastes.
It looks like a good game if played like 9-Ball under "Grady's Rules". Call all pockets just like straights. 3 Foul rule in effect. If a shooter misses a called shot/pocket, then opponent has the option of making the misser shoot again.
Thank you for your time.