DIY Cue Extension

sokaiba

1-Pocket Addict
Silver Member
Wanted to buy a lightweight cue extension but couldn't find one for less then $22 shipped so I figured I could just make one. Went to Lowe's and spent $9.13. The fitting was about 3.98 and I'll probably make a few more for friends just to cover the tape cost of 4.58. The hardest part was getting the first ring of foam tape into the pipe. Still took me less then 5 minutes to make. Had some velcro tape laying around at home and used it to fix it to my case. I used to have one of the black plastic extensions, but left it at a pool room, and always thought it was a bit too big for my liking and would slide off the cue occasionally on contact. This thing feels more solid then the other plastic extensions and never slipped even when struck hard. Just thought I would share...

Kai

Attachments

• ext view.jpg
    ext view.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 2,834
  • inside.jpg
    inside.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 2,229
  • part#.jpg
    part#.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 2,014
  • tape.jpg
    tape.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 2,049
  • case.jpg
    case.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 2,055

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice extension and once you spray it with a good quality paint it will look custom and expensive. I have one just like it and it works just fine.

sokaiba

1-Pocket Addict
Silver Member
I stuck the hook side to the side of the long pocket on the case. And the loop side(soft) to the tube.

sokaiba

1-Pocket Addict
Silver Member
Hits great, and because it weighs next to nothing it is very easy to keep the tip down. I have used Longoni extensions and like the feel of this better. My cue is about 17.4 oz so this doesn't change the feel as much as other extensions have.

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I read this post and immediately went to Lowes.

I only needed the coupling and it cost $0.98 I had the rest of the materials.

Took about 10 min.

Now I have an extension. (cue extension that is) :smile:

Thanks for posting........ saved $24

John

fathomblue

Rusty Shackleford
Silver Member
You've inspired me. I'm going to try this the next time I go to Lowe's.

What would be the best way to prep this to paint it black? In a way that it would be long-lasting and look fairly nice?

Also, I don't think I would Velcro this to my current case (I have it covered with a lot of autographs).

My best friend's wife has knitted me a soft sleeve to put my Lomax jump cue in, so maybe I could have her do something similar for this. I could probably figure out a way to fasten it to my mini-towel hook.

Excellent creativity by the OP.

sokaiba

1-Pocket Addict
Silver Member
Probably prime, paint, and seal with spray paint but I would just ask the Lowe's people. You could drill a hole on the non foam end and use a carabiner to clip it to your case.

fathomblue

Rusty Shackleford
Silver Member
Good suggestions. A couple more questions:

How many sections of foam tape did you put in there?

How far are you sliding the cue in to get a solid "grab"?

If I could make this correctly, as you have, I'd probably do this for my best friend as quick and easy birthday present.

Did you happen to notice if this type of piping came in black?

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
And it looks like ivory, lol.

Nice job. :wink: Did you cut off one end or does that piece at the end slide/screw off?

sokaiba

1-Pocket Addict
Silver Member
I used two rings of tape, the first ring sits against a lip on the inside of the pipe. My butt diameter is 1 1/4", probably about 4" of the butt are in the pipe. This length worked perfect I was able to easily strike the cue ball in the rack area from the head of the table. Did not look in the black, the one I lost was black so I was happy this was white so I will be less likely to leave it somewhere. Good luck.

Kai

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll post pictures of mine tomorrow. Waiting for the paint and clear coat to dry.

Now all I need is some azz weights, a bee keeper out fit and some yellow sun glasses and I'll be good to go.

John

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Well done, sokaiba. I like a man who can think on his feet.
As a matter-of-fact, I'm gonna give the new CEO of Steamer Cue Sports Ltd., Samuel A. Jackson (no relation to the actor) a call and see if his design team might take a look at you new gadget. See if they want to send your idea up the old flagpole and see how it waves. Drop it down the old idea well and see how the ripples rise. All that stuff.
You should be getting a call within weeks. :smile:

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here ya go.

Sprayed with black wrinkle then hit it with some clear coat. 14-1/2" long. I only wanted a 12" extension. I'm 6'-2" tall so I dont need much.

The coupling is a 1-1/2 x 1-1/4 gray coupling found in the plumbing dept. at Lowes. I think I paid $ 0.98 for it.
The handle is grafite from some 20' crappy fishing poles I have (scrap actually)

John

Attachments

• Picture 001 (Small).jpg
    Picture 001 (Small).jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 395
  • Picture 002 (Small).jpg
    Picture 002 (Small).jpg
    34 KB · Views: 421
  • Picture (Small).jpg
    Picture (Small).jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 390
Last edited: