do it yourself tip replacement

Goose1972

Banned
thanks for all the suggestions I actually have done it in the past as stated, and did a decent job with a white diamond break tip for my break cue, which stayed on for over a year.

was rather laborious and was just wondering if there have been any recent technological adnaces in this area. as a friend has 4 house cues, and I have extra tips. my own cues are brought to a pro. just dont feel right paying 15 bucks to put a cheap tip on a cheap stick. may do it for fun, or suggest frined buys new sticks.

PickPocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks for all the suggestions I actually have done it in the past as stated, and did a decent job with a white diamond break tip for my break cue, which stayed on for over a year.

was rather laborious and was just wondering if there have been any recent technological adnaces in this area. as a friend has 4 house cues, and I have extra tips. my own cues are brought to a pro. just dont feel right paying 15 bucks to put a cheap tip on a cheap stick. may do it for fun, or suggest frined buys new sticks.

same boat im in. but numers are a little different. im doing 80+ and on number 25 right now! by hand. Its too long to post, but if your interested ill email you my own (developed in majority from several threads/posts from AZB, personal experience, and youtube!) step by step with tools materials used. let me know!

Goose1972

Banned
same boat im in. but numers are a little different. im doing 80+ and on number 25 right now! by hand. Its too long to post, but if your interested ill email you my own (developed in majority from several threads/posts from AZB, personal experience, and youtube!) step by step with tools materials used. let me know!

how long it take you to get to 25?

zombie93

Registered
It takes a itof time and care, but its easy to replace a tip with a bit of practice. First and foremost a lathe is absolutely the best thing for put a new tip on. BUT...if you take the time, the results between a lathe and by hand can be exact. The best tool I have found for getting excellent results as far as shaping, sanding, and putting your final radius is a hand nail file. I use that to flatten the ferrule, sand to the right diameter, and shape.

incognito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It only costs a few bucks to get someone who knows what they're doing to replace your tip.

I gave up on the DIY approach years ago after having several tips fall of on me in competition.

PickPocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
how long it take you to get to 25?

I've done about 12 at a time... first batch took me about 4 hours. 2nd was a little less.. :thumbup:

I'm sure others do this A LOT faster then me... but I'm not in a rush, I want them to turn out the best I can, so I spend some time on them. I also do them as a batch in steps, vrs one at a time.

Last edited:

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
lathe

I disagree. It is very well possible to instal a tip with absolute perfect quality like with a lathe, but it is rather difficult and you have to work absolutely accurate. Like jwalko1 said, I personally do it in a very similar way, and I've perfected it to be 100 % as good as the best lathe installed tip. I don't want to boast ot trying to get work - i have enough. But I want to share my knowledge.

Flatening the ferrule and tip perfectly I know is the most important thing to have a durable and ever lasting glueing. For this reason I flaten the ferrule with a file (fine rasp) in the common way how you use a file. But with that usual technique you will not be able to have a perfect flat surface, it will always become some kind of a radius. The final surface I do with a drawblade, the file (but only by turning the ferrule on the file, it's the most difficult step because you must have power in your grip and feeling as well) and at the end sandpaper 80 grid. The final control i do with a straightedge.

Glueing I do with cyanacrylate gel and fixing the tip with a long clamp.

Shaping is pretty simple by using a very sharp oneside-flat knive. But here you also have to be very careful and have a defined and reliable technique. And first of all you musn't be in a hurry.

It took me nearly 1 year with several failures to be on that level now. This is why I clearly do not advise someone to use that technique. And by the way, it takes round about half an hour to instal a tip in my method, so this is nothing to earn big money with. And more than 4 tips a day I don't make because it is pretty straining.

If you don't have the habit like me to experience how far you can be perfect without special machinery and if you want to have a perfectly installed tip: Go to a proffesional that does perfect with a lathe.

I put a couple tips on by hand with one of those tweeten tip kits .
then I bought a cue lathe .
I have no regrets buying my lathe.
I worked field service mechanic for over 25 years. They dont leave you in a field service truck is you cannot improvise....
I have made alot of tools in the field to get the job done. but its alot easyer to have the right tool to start off with.

one thing that everyone preaches is keep it simple.
a cue lathe does it all and its simple and easy.
MMike

risky biz

Banned
what are the best tools and glue to use for at home do it yourself tip replacecment

have done a few with really cheap plastic tip changer sets, which were hit or miss, and extremely messy.

is there something good for cleaning and prepping ferrule. and glueing attaching and holding tip?

have used gorilla epoxy in the past, which works great, wondering if theres a quiceker setting alternative.

1. http://vimeo.com/7055733
2. http://vimeo.com/7096248
3. http://vimeo.com/7096285
4. http://vimeo.com/7096317
5. http://vimeo.com/7096327
6. http://vimeo.com/7096353
7. http://vimeo.com/7096435

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not cheap but certainly the best for home cue tip repairs. Porper Big Shaver

Porper Products Big Shaver cleans and prepares tops of cue ferrules for new cue tips, and then trims, shapes and burnishes tips. Adjusts to any thickness of tip with a control button for trimming. Shaves side of tip even with ferrule and shapes to a perfect nickel radius. The file-hard steel blade allows hundreds of trimmings before it needs to be resharpened. Extra blade included.

7200.jpg
I got that bad boy in my pool case i also have the willard tipping machine, but you can not go wrong with the big shaver at that price.

I also just found crazy glue that you brush one like womans nail polish very good item so far.

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I must be an idiot (I know, people on here have been saying that for years). I have this tool for years and years and can't remember ever even looking for the part that cleans and prepares tops of cue ferrules for new cue tips.

Freddie <~~~ rightfully accused

PS. Here's how Mueller's describes it:

"The Big Shaver is one of the most versatile tools available on the market today. This hand-held tool will trim, shape and burnish your tip from start to finish. Adjusts to any thickness of tip with a control button for trimming. Shaves side of tip even with ferrule, but will not cut ferrule. Shapes to a perfect nickel radius. The file-hard steel blade allows you hundreds of trimmings before the blade needs to be resharpened. 3" x 3" x 1 1/2". Extra blade included.
"

Note that there's no mentioning of cleaning or preparing the top for new tips

I dont think there is a part on the big shaver that will prep the ferrule surface . The willards tipping machine has a grinding wheel for the ferrule surface but now that im looking at my big shaver there is no part for it.