Do people only buy Black Boar cues to sell them on AZ?

Thomas McKane

Lifelong student of one p
Silver Member
Seems like an awful lot of BB cues end up on AZ, most never played with. Not sure I get the "Black Boar Market" but I'd love to know.

MahnaMahna

Beefcake. BEEFCAKE!!
Silver Member
The iTrader obtained through a BB sale is highly sought after on the Internet. It is worth far more than a SW iTrader or Tasc iTrader, but not by much. If it wasn't for the iTrader market, none of these cue makers would even be in business any more.

Or it could be money.

Yeah, on second thought, the answer to your question is "money".

Your welcome.

Thomas McKane

Silver Member
The iTrader obtained through a BB sale is highly sought after on the Internet. It is worth far more than a SW iTrader or Tasc iTrader, but not by much. If it wasn't for the iTrader market, none of these cue makers would even be in business any more.

Or it could be money.

Yeah, on second thought, the answer to your question is "money".

Your welcome.

They don't ever seem to sell...guess people don't want to sell their house for a cue. I'm starting to think it's more about bragging rights. :D

Baron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They don't ever seem to sell...guess people don't want to sell their house for a cue. I'm starting to think it's more about bragging rights. :D

I think once you get above the $500 or so range that's what most cue purchases are about.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think they sell either. I think the sellers put price tags of 10k or whatever it is, and they just sit there.

Then, you will see one of the older 4 point ones, trying to move for 2k, and it doesn't sell either.

This is only my opinion, I have never bought or sold one myself:)

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
To be honest I've always liked the look of the Black Boar cues. When I first started playing, the Black Boar intricacy, details etc was what I thought custom cues all looked like. Then I learned that most custom cues look plain as dirt and cost 2k+. The Black Boars are priced at a point where even enthusiasts can't afford them, the five digit range. It's silly really, because with a price like that even if some everyman could afford it, he could never take the risk of using it, especially outside his home. So in a sense, it would be worthless to him and to most real players at well. They are doomed to rot in some lawyers safe, rarely ever seeing the light of day. It's ironic when you think about it. I guess maybe that's why they keep being traded. Most people have no need of a cue that stays in the safe, and with pools importance and popularity dwindling, tying up huge sums in cues is very risky indeed.

Attachments

• blackboar.jpg
    blackboar.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 3,203

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
No.
I have an as5 and 2, one of a kind 6 pointers.
Had them way before I joined AZ.
Never tried to sell them, doubt I ever will.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think they sell either. I think the sellers put price tags of 10k or whatever it is, and they just sit there.

Then, you will see one of the older 4 point ones, trying to move for 2k, and it doesn't sell either.

This is only my opinion, I have never bought or sold one myself:)

If you see a 4 point BB for 2k it's a bargin and surely is going to be worth more

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Same as any other toy, its a luxury item and you buy it because you like and because you can. Just so happens with this particular toy there is less worry of depreciation. Kind of like the old Rolex vs Timex. Will sure there are people that will lock there toys away in a safe or garage, there are also plenty out doing burnouts in front of their house.

Thomas McKane

Silver Member
To be honest I've always liked the look of the Black Boar cues. When I first started playing, the Black Boar intricacy, details etc was what I thought custom cues all looked like. Then I learned that most custom cues look plain as dirt and cost 2k+. The Black Boars are priced at a point where even enthusiasts can't afford them, the five digit range. It's silly really, because with a price like that even if some everyman could afford it, he could never take the risk of using it, especially outside his home. So in a sense, it would be worthless to him and to most real players at well. They are doomed to rot in some lawyers safe, rarely ever seeing the light of day. It's ironic when you think about it. I guess maybe that's why they keep being traded. Most people have no need of a cue that stays in the safe, and with pools importance and popularity dwindling, tying up huge sums in cues is very risky indeed.

I'll admit, they are gorgeous cues and look amazing. But I don't think I would ever order one, wait 2-3 years for it, then sell it as soon as it arrived.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Same as any other toy, its a luxury item and you buy it because you like and because you can. Just so happens with this particular toy there is less worry of depreciation. Kind of like the old Rolex vs Timex. Will sure there are people that will lock there toys away in a safe or garage, there are also plenty out doing burnouts in front of their house.

Yes and no BB depending when you got one is a investment , I bought my 4 pointer for 2200 hell you got some production cues close to that ,, I wouldn't take less than 3200 for it now I know many who bought theirs yrs ago 6 pointers worth several times what they paid ,, , the newer ones obviously will have to wait for the ROI and it remains to be seen what that will be

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
I think once you get above the $500 or so range that's what most cue purchases are about.

for some this may be true, however, there are def some who, like myself, enjoy trying out various makers cues and learning the nuance differences, subtleties, consistency, etc. Also, there is enjoyment and appreciation of artful execution.

Personally, I think the pricing on BB cues is crazy. But at the same time, they are masterfully made, gorgeous, and Tony has customers willing to pay his prices so kudos to him, I would say.

And it's true that fantastic playing cues can be had for $500 or less. :smile:

best,
brian kc

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member

the cue you posted is, imo, the most beautiful cue ever made.

It inspired me to fill a blank spot on my living room wall. :wink:

best,
brian kc

Attachments

• Black-Boar-mural-full.jpg
    Black-Boar-mural-full.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 2,003
  • Black-Boar-mural-medallion.jpg
    Black-Boar-mural-medallion.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 2,123

RADAR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BLACK BOAR NEWS FLASH!! 1. NO LIST ONLY 1 TO 3 MONTHS DEPENDING ON EXTRAVAGANT INLAYS & DELIVERED ON TIME. 2. TONY ENGINEERING IS CONSTANTLY IMPROVING ON PLAYABILITY & IN FACT UP GRADES MADE THIS SUMMER. 3. RESALE VALUE WILL ALWAYS BE ON INCREASE WITH BOARS. 4. YES SOME COLLECTED & SOME PLAYED MAKES NO DIFFERENCE ON VALUE OF CUE A BOAR IS A BOAR & = EXCELLENCE! 5. AS FAR AS COST, MANY OF YOU HAVE STROKES OVER IT & WILL NEVER KNOW HOW FINE OF PLAYING CUE,BALANCE, CRAFTSMANSHIP,SHAFT WOOD UNMATCHED BY MANY & FINISH OF A BLACK BOAR CUE. TAKE MY WORD OWNED THEM ALL BEEN IN SAME BOAT AS MANY FOR YEARS ON COST. SO UNTIL YOU OWN A BOAR YOU WILL BE THANKING ME ON THIS MONEY ISSUE. MANY CONCERNS I AM SURE ON MONEY YOU HAVE IT OR NOT, WORRIED ABOUT CUE STOLEN BUMPS BRUISES WHAT EVER! BOARS WILL ALWAYS APPRECIATE IN VALUE. AFRICAN BOARS FERULE LESS SHAFTS ARE SUPREMELY WELL LIKED BY CUSTOMERS AND SEVERAL TOP PROS OUT THERE WHO WOULD LOVE TO HAVE 1. WHY MONEY TALKS WITH TONY. 6. FAR MOST NOT 1 CUE MAKER OUT THERE CAN DO STUFF TONY DOES! NOBODY! A LEGEND OF HIS OWN KIND. MAN HAS GOT MY RESPECT AFTER 1000S CUES OWNED SINCE 1979. SORRY BEING CUE NUT! NOT DONE YET ANY WAYS NOTHING LOSE GUYS GIVE A BOAR SHOT! YOU WILL NOT REGRET OWNING A BOAR! KEEP THEM PLAY THEM WHAT EVER HEART DESIRES! BOARS ARE CUES OF COMPLIMENTS IN EVERY SHAPE AND FORM, LIFE IS SHORT AND THEY DESERVE NO NEGATIVITY OF ANY KIND PERIOD!!! :thumbup:

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BLACK BOAR NEWS FLASH!! 1. NO LIST ONLY 1 TO 3 MONTHS DEPENDING ON EXTRAVAGANT INLAYS & DELIVERED ON TIME. 2. TONY ENGINEERING IS CONSTANTLY IMPROVING ON PLAYABILITY & IN FACT UP GRADES MADE THIS SUMMER. 3. RESALE VALUE WILL ALWAYS BE ON INCREASE WITH BOARS. 4. YES SOME COLLECTED & SOME PLAYED MAKES NO DIFFERENCE ON VALUE OF CUE A BOAR IS A BOAR & = EXCELLENCE! 5. AS FAR AS COST, MANY OF YOU HAVE STROKES OVER IT & WILL NEVER KNOW HOW FINE OF PLAYING CUE,BALANCE, CRAFTSMANSHIP,SHAFT WOOD UNMATCHED BY MANY & FINISH OF A BLACK BOAR CUE. TAKE MY WORD OWNED THEM ALL BEEN IN SAME BOAT AS MANY FOR YEARS ON COST. SO UNTIL YOU OWN A BOAR YOU WILL BE THANKING ME ON THIS MONEY ISSUE. MANY CONCERNS I AM SURE ON MONEY YOU HAVE IT OR NOT, WORRIED ABOUT CUE STOLEN BUMPS BRUISES WHAT EVER! BOARS WILL ALWAYS APPRECIATE IN VALUE. AFRICAN BOARS FERULE LESS SHAFTS ARE SUPREMELY WELL LIKED BY CUSTOMERS AND SEVERAL TOP PROS OUT THERE WHO WOULD LOVE TO HAVE 1. WHY MONEY TALKS WITH TONY. 6. FAR MOST NOT 1 CUE MAKER OUT THERE CAN DO STUFF TONY DOES! NOBODY! A LEGEND OF HIS OWN KIND. MAN HAS GOT MY RESPECT AFTER 1000S CUES OWNED SINCE 1979. SORRY BEING CUE NUT! NOT DONE YET ANY WAYS NOTHING LOSE GUYS GIVE A BOAR SHOT! YOU WILL NOT REGRET OWNING A BOAR! KEEP THEM PLAY THEM WHAT EVER HEART DESIRES! BOARS ARE CUES OF COMPLIMENTS IN EVERY SHAPE AND FORM, LIFE IS SHORT AND THEY DESERVE NO NEGATIVITY OF ANY KIND PERIOD!!! :thumbup:

If what you say is true (not doubting you), then ordering BB cues for flipping would not make much sense.

I agree that Tony and Donnie deserve the respect they have earned.

phil dade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If what you say is true (not doubting you), then ordering BB cues for flipping would not make much sense.

I agree that Tony and Donnie deserve the respect they have earned.

What RADAR is saying is true. Speaking of the new Crown Cap cues; the hit, feel and workmanship is spectacular.

I have only owned one and traded it because it was too simple. They feel different than any other cue. I say this in a positive way.

I will most likely get another.

RADAR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if what you say is true (not doubting you), then ordering bb cues for flipping would not make much sense.

I agree that tony and donnie deserve the respect they have earned.

that is what i thought many years sir! Guys do sell and to up grade for better play ability as tony is always improving! No bs! Most cases sell for more to! For sure when the legend passes!