Do the Filipinos give back?

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
The USA? It's 176th in this list http://www.indexmundi.com/g/r.aspx?v=21000

The countries at the top of the list are mostly empty. None of them are crowded.

I would guess that exactly the opposite is true, the bottom of the list is the least crowded, the top is the most crowded unless of course there has been mass migration to Antarctica in the last 2 years which is at the bottom. The numbers are population density per land area.

Danimal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I mean just off the top of my head I would not expect Filipinos to teach billy Thorpe the inner workings of how to kick or something, although maybe they would. If I was an eighth grade pe teacher, and asked 10 Filipinos to come in for a day to get my kids psyched up on pool, would they jump on it if they had the time?

Amusingly enough, after the Steinway Classic I watched Dennis helping Billy with his 10 ball break. Dennis racked for him for over an hour straight and advised him how to hit the balls more squarely.

These guys run in the same circles and they get along very well. Your question is worded curiously, but yes, in the above instance I have personally witnessed Dennis "give back."

p.s. The incident I recalled above was back in October - how good has Billy Thorpe been playing since then?

boosaboos

Registered
Of course pool players can't give back money.

I mean just off the top of my head I would not expect Filipinos to teach billy Thorpe the inner workings of how to kick or something, although maybe they would. If I was an eighth grade pe teacher, and asked 10 Filipinos to come in for a day to get my kids psyched up on pool, would they jump on it if they had the time? Would they all say no?

I think it's a fair question. I know if I moved to a country that afforded me my lifestyle that I probably could not have without them, and they welcomed me with open arms, I'd be inclined to get involved. But maybe it's hard for them because there just aren't too many areas where they can give back. Maybe some people should start asking perhaps they'd be happy to do it, or already do?

In short, do you feel like they do or would give back, or are they just here to make money and get out? What impression do you get? And why not ask them to if you have an opportunity, maybe they'd be happy to do it.

Most of the pro pool players still live in the Philippines, they're only in the US for tournaments and action. They don't live there long enough to get involved. What lifestyle? these people live a very modest life.

But in terms of giving back in their own country, they most definitely do, You will see Efren and Busty and all the older legends play the younger kids on a regular basis.

And why are you targeting the Filipinos? What about the Americans, Europeans, Chinese?

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you mean "give back" in the way of time and money to the sport or people in general in America, I will say this:

If you have ever watched any Filipino play pool, they give back in spades in knowledge, skill and entertainment.
If you're talking about donating money, they will always give to charity and those who are needy. They share food and meals.
They come from humble and meager beginnings, what we'd consider abject poverty.

So YES they give back-
Ask Skyler or Shane or anyone of our guys who has a Filipino player as a friend.

Shane got burned.. n badly by 2 filipinos whom he least expect it from.
Dude was nice enough to sponsor Alcano n orcollo during the early days.

Alcano pulled a pussy stunt on him during the pacqiao cup in philipines when shane didnt call the pocket on an obvious shot which shane conceded disgusted
Well well Dennis insulted him on fb n told shane to keep playing tourneys becoz he will bust Shane's ass in money games.
They were suppose to play for 50 grand, shane posted 25k cheque and dennis well, wasnt able to cough up money for someone he was supposed to bust lol.

I have the least respect for pinoy players if u watch them gamble , always have problems paying up when they lose.

The europeans or taiwanese are extremely trustworthy as compared to em pinoys lol

once watched chang gambled deluna, and jeff was acting like a thug boss lol, when he lost he start barking at everyone to pay up who staked him.
Chang who was witnessing all that laughed his ass off cuz everyone assumed Jeff was playing with his own cash,, he told us he refused to be backed although many wanted a piece of his action and he wld rather gamble with his own money then with someone's money.
Now that says alot about that man's heart.

Jusy my 0.02

Last edited:

Ekojasiloop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's use an analogy. I'm a dirt bike rider that excels in an obscure part of the dirt biking world, and a few dedicated fans allow me to make a living in this field.

Do I sit around after an event and sign autographs and hang with the people that make my life possible? Or do I just grab the money from the event and run home? Do I help little ones interested in the field? It would seem the people that have answered are indicating the players do give back and I think that's great. I also would not be surprised if they'd happy to give even more if asked hearing this. Yet some have indicated most pool players are takers, so I suppose it is up for debate. Maybe try to post if you think they do give back or not. I can post my experience with Filipinos, but as I was saying I'm honestly curious what others think or if they have examples.

Last edited:

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would guess that exactly the opposite is true, the bottom of the list is the least crowded, the top is the most crowded unless of course there has been mass migration to Antarctica in the last 2 years which is at the bottom. The numbers are population density per land area.

Yes you are correct - as am I. My point was that the countries near the top of the list, while being more densely populated, are still mostly empty. It is ridiculous to say that the USA or any other country is full.

Chicagoplayer

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I know-

Alcano pulled a pussy stunt on him during the pacqiao cup in philipines when shane didnt call the pocket on an obvious shot which shane conceded disgusted
Well well Dennis insulted him on fb n told shane to keep playing tourneys becoz he will bust Shane's ass in money games.
They were suppose to play for 50 grand, shane posted 25k cheque and dennis well, wasnt able to cough up money for someone he was supposed to bust lol.

I have the least respect for pinoy players if u watch them gamble , always have problems paying up when they lose.

The Europeans or Taiwanese are extremely trustworthy as compared to em pinoys lol

once watched chang gambled deluna, and jeff was acting like a thug boss lol, when he lost he start barking at everyone to pay up who staked him.
Chang who was witnessing all that laughed his ass off cuz everyone assumed Jeff was playing with his own cash,, he told us he refused to be backed although many wanted a piece of his action and he wld rather gamble with his own money then with someone's money.

Just my 0.02

Hi CM,

I know about their beef. (Ronnie SVB) (but not DeLuna's)
but the question was, do they(Filipino's) "give back", not do they argue when they make a match or their backers when it comes time to pay.

From my perspective there's both good and bad, giving and selfishness and that's nothing new.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, the pool players are using the money to buy fancy cars and big houses.

JC

Coos Cues
I'm lost on your question, did you loan one of them something, now you're wondering if they'll give it back or something? Why do you feel they should "give back" anything, anymore than any other non-American pool player that comes to play pool in this country?

I think he want's the Trump goon squad to deport them..........

JC

Fuji-whopper

Fargo: 457...play some?
Silver Member
I recall after a bad storm that Efren sheltered some people in a warehouse of his after their homes were destroyed, can't recall where the article/interview was from but I'll try to find it.

Neil

Edit: Found an article highlighting donations made by pro players after tropical storm Sendong, will keep searching for more like this to help answer the OP question:
http://anitokid.blogspot.com/2011/12/typhoon-sendong-fund-drive-donations.html

Last edited:

warnerwh

Registered
We learned a lot from them and it was very enjoyable to watch them especially when they first started coming over for tournaments in the 80's. The people in the Philippines are very nice, at least the ones I met while I was there. They have little but will share with you. That's something else we should learn from them. They owe us nothing.

pocketsplitter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Amusingly enough, after the Steinway Classic I watched Dennis helping Billy with his 10 ball break. Dennis racked for him for over an hour straight and advised him how to hit the balls more squarely.

These guys run in the same circles and they get along very well. Your question is worded curiously, but yes, in the above instance I have personally witnessed Dennis "give back."

p.s. The incident I recalled above was back in October - how good has Billy Thorpe been playing since then?

Dennis just wants to see Shane knocked off the top USA list

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

boosaboos

Registered

The europeans or taiwanese are extremely trustworthy as compared to em pinoys lol

Jusy my 0.02

I'll always take what you say with a grain of salt. You're the same guy that said the filipinos are dirty players.

Thats just my 2 cents.

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi CM,

I know about their beef. (Ronnie SVB) (but not DeLuna's)
but the question was, do they(Filipino's) "give back", not do they argue when they make a match or their backers when it comes time to pay.

From my perspective there's both good and bad, giving and selfishness and that's nothing new.

Yes, my point is how do we expect them to give back when they do not have the most basic form of integrity n loyalty.
I mean c'mon , Shane was nice enough to be their sponsor n get em visas to come to states and you bite his hand after being established.
Im sure Shane doesnt need em to repay the favors but he least expect em to pull these stunts on him , know what i mean .

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll always take what you say with a grain of salt. You're the same guy that said the filipinos are dirty players.

Thats just my 2 cents.

No worries sir, you're certainly entitled to your opinion and perspective in choosing what u choose to believe.
I stand by what i say based on numerous accounts on what i saw whem em pinoys gamble.
Trust me , not a healthy sight.

They are awfully talented n great players but i seriously doubt their character n integrity n professionalism.

But again, guys like Efren Biado n Alex P are a a total different class, stand up guys, trustworthy n a role model for the rest of em pinoy players.

BMC361

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, my point is how do we expect them to give back when they do not have the most basic form of integrity n loyalty.
I mean c'mon , Shane was nice enough to be their sponsor n get em visas to come to states and you bite his hand after being established.
Im sure Shane doesnt need em to repay the favors but he least expect em to pull these stunts on him , know what i mean .

Shane got them visas? How's that possible? Shane is not a company or corporation to sponsor a foreigner