Do you have a mutt?

Kaydon

Registered
I was once talking to Jim Buss and he told me about a cue he once built for a road player that was a Budweiser cue that he had cored and made a shaft for. This road player would go into pool rooms and be knocking balls around and some unsuspecting player no doubt looking to rob someone would walk up and ask to play. We all know how that story ends. Which leads me to ask the question...How many of you all have mutt cues?

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a mutt cue. It was made by Guido Orlandi. It turned out to be far superior to my ordinary play Cue.

Last edited:

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was once talking to Jim Buss and he told me about a cue he once built for a road player that was a Budweiser cue that he had cored and made a shaft for. This road player would go into pool rooms and be knocking balls around and some unsuspecting player no doubt looking to rob someone would walk up and ask to play. We all know how that story ends. Which leads me to ask the question...How many of you all have mutt cues?

That stuff just doesn't work. Anybody you are going to win any money from can usually play a bit. You don't need a Budweiser cue to get them to play. You also can't act like an idiot who can't make a bridge because what are you going to do when you have to play better? The best cue you can have is exactly what most of the other players in the room have.

A mid range to low level production cue you have picked out that you can play well with. The cue says you like the game and have your own cue, that today means nothing, everybody had their own cues anyway. If you have a high end cue it will knock you, people will be hesitant to play. The same goes for a Sneaky Pete. In fact you pull out a SP with a nice ferrule, good finish and groomed tip and you are saying "I am a player trying to fool someone".

I used to have a $40.00 Palmer that I liked to travel with. It was perfect. It played well and didn't scare anyone. Heck, I am asking people to gamble, obviously I must be able to play a little so having a half way decent cue would be expected. It will actually attract action. You get a table and take out the cue and begin practicing and you are sure to get a guy who thinks he is a hustler come over and ask you to play. By the way, the best players in the room would never do that, the low level predators are who will show up first.

The cue along with what you want to play for quickly classifies you and how you probably play in their mind. You ask the guy to play some cheap 8 ball and he will for sure come back with a higher bet and want to play 9 ball. You will be in action with little or no effort. You don't need to wear fake glasses or be an idiot to get played. Just act like the average player.

I also had a nice one piece cue I played with in bars. Kind of dirty and scratched up ferrule. I most dark bars no one ever noticed I brought it in. Even if they did notice no big deal, a lot of bar players good and bad have one piece cues they usually stole from a pool room. You have to mark the cue in some way so when you leave with it you can show it is your cue. I once had a 250 pound barmaid tackle me thinking I was stealing a cue. She almost broke my arm trying to get the cue.

Last edited:

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My most favorite playing cue is a $70 Kaiser cue butt from J&J America with an OB2 shaft. I have less then $200 in it, and I will fight your pitbull to keep it! that cue makes a sweet ringing sound when hit.

G>#2 my custom LP.....a VERY close second.

G.

henho

I Beat Fidelshnitzer
Silver Member
I have a bright pink My Little Pony cue that has LED's in the butt that light up whenever I stroke. It is totally low key and brings all the suckers right over.

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a bright pink My Little Pony cue that has LED's in the butt that light up whenever I stroke. It is totally low key and brings all the suckers right over.

sounds like my "APA qualifyer" tee shirt :) My buddy who owns a pool room told me to wear it ALWAYS when looking for action....so far it is 100% :)

G.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
sounds like my "APA qualifyer" tee shirt :) My buddy who owns a pool room told me to wear it ALWAYS when looking for action....so far it is 100% :)

G.

It has that exact spelling, too? No wonder your poolroom-owning buddy says to always wear it! :thumbup2:

-Sean

metallicane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I show up with a nice JB case, Lambros cue and get all the action I ever wanted. Oh and I have "SUCKER" tattooed to my forehead.

Kaydon

Registered
The action or lack of is not the topic

Wow I mentioned action and people just skip over the original question of Do you have a mutt? The gambling aspect is not what I am interested in, and for all you gamblers that have nice equipment and can get action...That's awesome! Really I applaud the fact that you are willing to risk your money "or some other persons" on your skill, and you have nice equipment, but the conversation was never supposed to be about the action.
I simply want to hear about the my little pony cues. I know it was horsing around for fun but I want those stories whether it is horsing around or a true story. I want stories about how some guy glued a tip on the thick end of a fishing rod and carried it around as a cue because it was collapsible. When asked why he simply answered that he could carry it in his pocket. True story by the way. He was missing quite a few brain cells as everyone knew it was collapsing while he was shooting.
All you who want to hi jack the thread I can't stop you. I just think it is important to remember where we came from. Some of us did not come from much and had to use whatever we could find and put together. :wink: Now we have enough that a lot of times we forget.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was less than 15 yrs ago when i played with a 'Sly Fox' $70 with a metal joint. Shafts were $30!

Tobby

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a steve mizerak cue that I bought at K-Mart about 20 years ago . The cue played horriab le but looked ummmm okkkkkkkk. So i took it to Bill McDaniel had him rewrap it with irish linen make me a new shaft rework the butt and weight it properly . After that the cue played just like a McDaniel . Now i used to gamble alot in bars and places i really didnt want to take a NICE cue in for fear of something happening.

So i had a Billy McMutt Cue lol

Mitchxout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've got a "limited edition" Playboy Pam Anderson cue. Surprise, surprise, everyone loves it. :scratchhead: I added some weight in her butt and gave her a Players sneaky shaft. :thumbup:

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow I mentioned action and people just skip over the original question of Do you have a mutt? The gambling aspect is not what I am interested in, and for all you gamblers that have nice equipment and can get action...That's awesome! Really I applaud the fact that you are willing to risk your money "or some other persons" on your skill, and you have nice equipment, but the conversation was never supposed to be about the action.
I simply want to hear about the my little pony cues. I know it was horsing around for fun but I want those stories whether it is horsing around or a true story. I want stories about how some guy glued a tip on the thick end of a fishing rod and carried it around as a cue because it was collapsible. When asked why he simply answered that he could carry it in his pocket. True story by the way. He was missing quite a few brain cells as everyone knew it was collapsing while he was shooting.
All you who want to hi jack the thread I can't stop you. I just think it is important to remember where we came from. Some of us did not come from much and had to use whatever we could find and put together. :wink: Now we have enough that a lot of times we forget.
It seemed like from your first post it was about a cue you can catch a sucker with. I think you got the proper responses.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play with my butt

And any one of many shafts, most with ringwork that does not match up.

Kinda I like it.