Do you know of players who had such Natural Talent, that they could have been a World Champion?

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Neat article. I went to the glen burnie room many times.
What happened to Hill?

The late Pete (Shelton) Horn was a heckuva player, moreso in the latter 1970s and through the 1980s. Due to his drug abuse, he was already headed downhill fast by the 1990s. In the mid to late 1990s (he was driving a Tyson truck at that time) Pete would occasionally come in our pool room on his days off and we’d play.

He was one of the very worst losers I’ve ever seen - Earl must have learned it from Pete! For someone who played on the high level that he played at 10-20 years earlier, it was hard for him to accept that he couldn’t even beat a shortstop like me anymore.
I knew Pete well. I staked him a few times in Virginia. He was remarkable ! He could play with both hands.I watched him the first I meet him. I asked him after the match what handed he was. He said he didn't know. Whatever hand the cue was ib was the one he used on the next shot ! Never saw that in my 50+ years in pool ! He was a gas to hang with ! He was so smooth , I could watch him for hours ! Sadly he went to the dark side and cashed out way to soon. RIP

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It might be really silly to say, but I really feel bad for SVB, because he came so close 2 years in a row, to winning the World 9 ball championship. I believe that 1st year, Ko Pin-yi got a little lucky, and got a few good rolls on him, and Shane barely lost, like 11 to 13(?), iirc. Then Albin beat him in the finals the next year. I still see Shane as a world champion though. He has won just about everything there has been to win, in pool, other then that event, that he came so close to winning 2 years in a row.
SVB did win the WORLD POOL MASTERS twice against top players around the world, SVB had trouble traveling oversees as to what he could eat. I think he's figured it out now. SVB !!!!!!!

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You may see him as a world champion, but he isn't one. Your statement that he was won virtually everything else there is to win in the sport is also in error. In the last fifteen years or so, corresponding to SVB's career, the four biggest events of the year, and hardest to win, on the pool calendar have surely been a) the WPA World 9ball championship, b) the China Open 9-ball, c) the All-Japan Championships 9-ball, and d) the US Open 9-ball, and SVB has played in virtually all of them most years. SVB has won only the US Open. By comparison, Josh Filler had won three of these by the age of 20.

Shane is an all-time great, a living legend, and a future hall of famer, but let's not rewrite history. His game hasn't traveled well, which is why he hasn't won more of the WPA major titles. Finally, Ko Pin Yi outplayed Shane when they met in the final of the World Championship. I saw the entire match.

Where we agree is that we both feel bad for him, but more than anything, the point here is that winning a WPA World 9-ball Championship is really difficult and even some of the all-time greats have not managed it.
SVB had big trouble oversees in what he could eat. He played many matches sick. I doubt that he would bar anyone to play races to 100 for big $$$. Just my thoughts.

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes. JASON HILL from Maryland. He beat Mike COLTRAIN in the Juniors at 14-15 years old. At that time he was playing at a short stop level. Jason put in the work, but also had great natural ability.
He was left as a youngster to fend for himself and ultimately had many personal struggles.
He would have been a pro for sure...
I don't know who you were watching, but I saw a drugged out mouthy kid that played okay. I played him in the early 90's. After 3 hrs I lost $120 to him . I couldn't win. So I took a friend of mine (6ft 3 chubby 20 year old named Randy Stock of Virginia. Not only did Randy beat Hill, but he gave him the 8 and beat him again. I never saw Hill improve and went to the dark side, I believe did some jail time. This guy was never even close to a player. I say him for a couple of years in Glenn Bernie. Not a player, Just a mouthy punk.

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know who you were watching, but I saw a drugged out mouthy kid that played okay. I played him in the early 90's. After 3 hrs I lost $120 to him . I couldn't win. So I took a friend of mine (6ft 3 chubby 20 year old named Randy Stock of Virginia. Not only did Randy beat Hill, but he gave him the 8 and beat him again. I never saw Hill improve and went to the dark side, I believe did some jail time. This guy was never even close to a player. I say him for a couple of years in Glenn Bernie. Not a player, Just a mouthy punk.

Randy Stock played "Jam up" back in the day. The Hill that you met was a shadow of the original. You can come out and talk trash, but Hill destroyed Coaltrain and many other great players before he turned sixteen. His father would leave him at the pool room on Friday night and pick him up on Sunday morning (true story). No excuses, but not everyone has a great life.

When I met him he was 13 and was clean, sober and wanted to be a world champion. In the 90s the U.S had a drug epidemic (no excuses), but many people suffered. This kid Hill was just that, a kid. You had no problem playing a child for cash and sound like a sore loser.

Respectfully,

9ballscorpion

This is not directly responsive, but it's interesting to note that, according to Sam Korte in his biography "Greenleaf," Willie Mosconi hated pool. That didn't stop him from becoming the game's most recognizable champion in the 1960s. Hating a game you're great at can't be very common, but that would explain the failure of some natural talents to achieve greatness.

Wow, so he hated the game, but played it just because he was great at it, and could make a good living at it.

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Randy Stock played "Jam up" back in the day. The Hill that you met was a shadow of the original. You can come out and talk trash, but Hill destroyed Coaltrain and many other great players before he turned sixteen. His father would leave him at the pool room on Friday night and pick him up on Sunday morning (true story). No excuses, but not everyone has a great life.

When I met him he was 13 and was clean, sober and wanted to be a world champion. In the 90s the U.S had a drug epidemic (no excuses), but many people suffered. This kid Hill was just that, a kid. You had no problem playing a child for cash and sound like a sore loser.

Respectfully,
I said what I saw ! What he was before I have no knowledge . If I was a sore loser , why would I say I lost to him ?? Pretty dumb. My $120 loss turned into an $800 + win split 2 ways ! I'l do that every day ! I never heard about that kid till Glen Burnie room in 1990-91-92.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
SVB did win the WORLD POOL MASTERS twice against top players around the world, SVB had trouble traveling oversees as to what he could eat. I think he's figured it out now. SVB !!!!!!!
Comparing the World Pool Masters to a Major is pretty ridiculous. The field is solid, but many of the elite don't even get in, as each country get's just one player. In the last one, JL Chang, possibly the world's best rotation games player, wasn't even invited, with Taiwan's spot toing to Ko Pin Yi.. For its first twenty years or so, the event has had a field of 16 and to win it took just four wins in a race to eight format. I'd suggest that it's harder to win a Eurotour title than a World Pool Masters.

Actually, in her interview for the AZB magazine, Emily Frazer made a point of the fact that events like the World Pool Masters and the World Cup of Pool were not drawing the most elite fields possible and that the selection methodology needs significant revision.

World Pool Master wins are good wins, and in Shane's case, his best overseas wins, but let's not overstate the difficulty level in winning a sixteen player invitational that routinely leaves out half of the world's best ten players.

ExilePreacher

Equal Opportunity Gadfly
Silver Member
Matchroom has brought the US Open 9-ball event to a completely new level, and we the fans are the true winners.

Oh I think we are the real losers in the long run. At least those of us who care about pool in America rather than “the world”. From my perspective groups like the WPA and Matchroom are the death of American pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ExilePreacher

Equal Opportunity Gadfly
Silver Member
The one who became really good really fast was Bob McDonald from Woodstock, GA. I think he could have got there if he had set his mind on it.

I remember Bobby. Strong player. Your mention of him reminded me of another player from that area. Robbie Hudson. I think he could have been something to had he possessed the mental strength. Cocaine, bad marriage and bad ethics ruined him. Setting his thousand dollar leather coat on fire on a pool table in Kennesaw, GA because someone stole his coke didn’t help either. He ended up with a really bad reputation. Shooting air barrels and such. But for a short period he was shooting about as good as anybody in the Atlanta area I’d say. Last I heard he was a car salesman. Got religion. Last I saw him he got his head handed to him by a kid named Anthony Green and then didn’t pay. That was about 7 years ago and I’m pretty sure he’s banned from that pool room now. Damn shame, like I said I think he could have been something.

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Comparing the World Pool Masters to a Major is pretty ridiculous. The field is solid, but many of the elite don't even get in, as each country get's just one player. In the last one, JL Chang, possibly the world's best rotation games player, wasn't even invited, with Taiwan's spot toing to Ko Pin Yi.. For its first twenty years or so, the event has had a field of 16 and to win it took just four wins in a race to eight format. I'd suggest that it's harder to win a Eurotour title than a World Pool Masters.

Actually, in her interview for the AZB magazine, Emily Frazer made a point of the fact that events like the World Pool Masters and the World Cup of Pool were not drawing the most elite fields possible and that the selection methodology needs significant revision.

World Pool Master wins are good wins, and in Shane's case, his best overseas wins, but let's not overstate the difficulty level in winning a sixteen player invitational that routinely leaves out half of the world's best ten players.
Ok. I don't know who you are, but it appears you don't like Shane. So, I would say that all the players you think play better than Shane are not lining up to to play him races to 100 for the $$$,$$$ ! If a match like that comes off, you and I can cam with each other on the side. Just a thought.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Ok. I don't know who you are, but it appears you don't like Shane. So, I would say that all the players you think play better than Shane are not lining up to to play him races to 100 for the $$$,$$$ ! If a match like that comes off, you and I can cam with each other on the side. Just a thought.
Apparently, you neither know me nor have you read my posts over the years. That's perfectly OK.

As I've so often posted, I consider Shane an all-time great, a living legend, and one of the top few players of the entire nine ball era. Nonetheless, his track record in overseas competition has been disappointing given his level of talent and his level of accomplishment on US soil. At present, and I've posted this often, as well, I think he's the world's third best rotation games player, behind JL Chang and Josh Filler, and each of them has a very good track record against Shane.

If refusing to be delusional about Shane's track record overseas is hating, then I'm a hater, but the fact is that I have limitless respect for what Shane has accomplished in his stellar career, and I hope I'm lucky enough to be in attendance when he is inducted into the BCA Hall of Fame.

I very rarely bet on pool, and for the most part, I very rarely bet on anything. That said, I have never made a bet against a person I don't know, and I won't be starting that practice now.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I remember Bobby. Strong player. Your mention of him reminded me of another player from that area. Robbie Hudson. I think he could have been something to....

Yes you are right. I think Robbie won a United States bar table championship if memory serves me right. I thought for sure he would become a solid Pro at one time. He and Bob were close in age. Robbie came over and beat Bob in my poolroom once. When they were young Robbie could handle the pressure a little better than Bob, but I always thought Bob had the potential to advance to a higher level if he put his mind too it.

Robhud71

I remember Bobby. Strong player. Your mention of him reminded me of another player from that area. Robbie Hudson. I think he could have been something to had he possessed the mental strength. Cocaine, bad marriage and bad ethics ruined him. Setting his thousand dollar leather coat on fire on a pool table in Kennesaw, GA because someone stole his coke didn’t help either. He ended up with a really bad reputation. Shooting air barrels and such. But for a short period he was shooting about as good as anybody in the Atlanta area I’d say. Last I heard he was a car salesman. Got religion. Last I saw him he got his head handed to him by a kid named Anthony Green and then didn’t pay. That was about 7 years ago and I’m pretty sure he’s banned from that pool room now. Damn shame, like I said I think he could have been something.

The greatest mistake I ever made was thinking because of the talent that God gave me that the pool room “owed” me a living. It did not.

For the better part of my career I never used or played high. But in the end being around so many in that life I gave way to temptation, and the lure of easy money. I really never thought about it back then, but you play sets for thousands of dollars the only people willing to put up that kind of money were bookies and drug dealers.

Once I made the decision to go down that path they made it easy to facilitate my demise. It was my choice and selfishness that brought me there though.

But I digress. I quit playing in about 2000, and the only time I would go into the pool room was when I was drinking, and wanted to try and grab some former glory. But the way pool works is if you aren’t riding that train full time there is no way possible you can play your best game.

That night, when I played Anthony, I just couldn’t pull it together. After that I called him and settled that debt. But there were a lot of things I regret along the way, that I never made up for. I had a lot of people that were really pulling for my success that I let down because of my selfishness.

Archers opened up recently here and I have played a few times. But for me the pool room is a dangerous place. I am not sure I will ever feel “safe” there ever again. Not that the pool room is a bad thing in and of itself.

I just don’t know if there is anything left for me there.

Do you know of players who had such a great Talent, or and or pure Natural Talent, that they could have been a World Champion, but they either quit, or was not serious enough about the game, or maybe something ruined it for them, like drug addiction for example?

I think of Landon Shuffett for example, who did not quit, but decided to commit most of his time to Education, and think that he may have been strong enough to maybe someday have been a World Champion, if he were to have taken a path with complete devotion to pool. He was, and probably still is an amazing player, but I assume he has a career now, and maybe does not have much time to play pool as much as he did when he was winning all of those Junior championships.

I wonder about other players who were really great, but pool was just not their #1 passion in life, or maybe they got bored with it before reaching their full potential, and went on to doing something else, or maybe something went wrong in their life, like drug addiction or alcoholism to name a few examples, and it really hurt their game and life.

Keith McCready comes to mind too, but he probably was considered the best in the world at one time, but I wonder if he reached his full potential as a pool player. I read a quote from his somewhere that said that he stated that he never practiced or did drills, saying something like it was a waste of time. Not sure if that is true. Just something I read somewhere, or that someone told me. He is a Legend in my opinion though. Just wonder if he could have been even greater, and accomplished more in pool.

Love reading cool stories about players that were so good that they had the cue ball on a string, and could do anything they put their mind to on a pool table, but were never World Champions, or even that serious about the game to begin with. Just something they were naturally great at, but maybe it was not their #1 passion.
Me.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I know a guy with such a natural stroke that when I uploaded a video of his cue power, people accused him of spraying silicone on the balls or rails, or cheating to make the ball do that. If he didn't have a real job and played pool instead, I bet he would be hammering some of the Mosconi team

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I won’t name names.

But yes I know and have seen a few guys with sooooo much talent. Running 10 packs in their home room or the only pool room they play in at a given time.

They get performance anxiety or don’t like to travel or just don’t care about being a pro. There’s plenty of wasted talent out there. Or talent that can’t be achieved for external reasons like performance anxiety.

It is what it is. Some guys just have the desire to live out of a suitcase and others don’t. Or some get tired of it and want something else out of their life. Nothing wrong with that.

Fatboy <——-has no talent for pool