Do you pay attention...curious

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
Do you pay attention to how many racks you break and run in a average day of playing? Get excited to run one?

I know I don't, only notice when it is a opponent keeping me sitting in a chair for 2 or 3 games. Rarely notice when I run a rack, unless whoever I'm playing makes a comment.

Think I may be missing out on the joy of doing something good at pool, and just focus on winning the set. Can't say I get a ton of joy in even that.

Thank goodness it is fishing season, that I do get amped up about.

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At a Fargo of 667, I would disappointed if I didn't run a rack. If the balls are wide open, w/no blockers or clusters, I just work through each shot and move on to the next rack.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Landmarks

Until I got on AZB I never considered pool landmarks important. I can't remember when I ran my first racks, my highest number of racks ran, what and when was the first tournament I won. I remember a few funny things, everything else was just chopping wood. I enjoy playing pool but nothing about it makes me giddy with excitement.

Hu

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Do you pay attention to how many racks you break and run in a average day of playing? Get excited to run one?

I know I don't, only notice when it is a opponent keeping me sitting in a chair for 2 or 3 games. Rarely notice when I run a rack, unless whoever I'm playing makes a comment.

Think I may be missing out on the joy of doing something good at pool, and just focus on winning the set. Can't say I get a ton of joy in even that.

I personally think your mind is in the right space for playing pool.
If you’re thinking records while you’re shooting, it detracts from your shooting.
...thinking like an accountant won’t get ‘er done.

Remembering after the fact is where the joy comes in...
“A thing remembered is twice enjoyed.”......CS Lewis

kevoka

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Do you pay attention to how many fish you catch?

I don't. I just let them go and then catch the next one.

billiardthought

Anti-intellectualism
Silver Member
I definitely acknowledge a break and run to myself as the rack is ending. I don't necessarily go home thinking "7 break and runs tonight fantastic"

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I don't literally write it down if I run a rack, but I certainly notice and I'm happy.

It makes sense however, that you are focusing on the ultimate goal of winning the set.

to use a football analogy, of course the goal is to win the game, but nothing wrong with feeling good every time you get a first down......

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member

When I'm zoning I sometimes don't know that I've run out, still looking around for the next ball. Bigger picture thoughts like winning or losing or even game status tend to diminish focus on the shot at hand. Being "absent minded" about that stuff is usually a good sign for me.

pj
chgo

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
Do you pay attention to how many fish you catch?

I don't. I just let them go and then catch the next one.

Only if I'm fishing a tournament or have a wager, other than that I'm on to the next cast pretty quickly. Tournament I'm only interested in size and do we have 5 in the box.

I can tell you though about most of the good fish I've caught, don't really forget much about fishing. Not a conscious thing though.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
I personally think your mind is in the right space for playing pool.
If you’re thinking records while you’re shooting, it detracts from your shooting.
...thinking like an accountant won’t get ‘er done.

Remembering after the fact is where the joy comes in...
“A thing remembered is twice enjoyed.”......CS Lewis

I played a few days ago, I know I ran some racks, but I have no idea how many. I don't really care much about how I win, just want to win the money at the end.

Was curious how others think of things while playing, and think the answer is the better players pay very little attention to anything but winning. Now if I could quit missing the easy shots I'd be one of them.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I played a few days ago, I know I ran some racks, but I have no idea how many. I don't really care much about how I win, just want to win the money at the end.

Was curious how others think of things while playing, and think the answer is the better players pay very little attention to anything but winning. Now if I could quit missing the easy shots I'd be one of them.
Maybe they win because they think about shooting and you miss because you think about winning.

pj <- or vice verse
chgo

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
When I first started I definitely noticed and I couldn’t run out because I kept getting excited with 3-4 connect the dot type shots left and I’d dog something..and after I ran the 1st rack I was all excited, 9 Ball this was. And then I counted up to 15 or 20 over the next couple months but then as I started getting better I’d run a rack and then have to think back to if I missed or not. This was all practice alone.

When I’m playing someone I really don’t know what’s going on only if I feel good or not. I freakin love it. It’s like playing poker with the calm face but pounding heart. Almost like being in a fight...who ever remembers the details?

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

you are a cubs fan so i can understand you dont let yourself enjoy things :thumbup:

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only if I'm fishing a tournament or have a wager, other than that I'm on to the next cast pretty quickly. Tournament I'm only interested in size and do we have 5 in the box.

I can tell you though about most of the good fish I've caught, don't really forget much about fishing. Not a conscious thing though.

I only play one hole so I typically do get a little jacked after going eight and out, but it's quickly forgotten. Fishing on the other hand, I remember every one I match. Especially tarpon And tuna. And of course king salmon when I hit Canada.

Last edited:

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most of the time after the game is over if you ask me if I ran the rack out I couldn’t even tell you. I would have to stop and think about it. Sometimes if the balls are real tough I remember that as a good out but then it’s on to the next game.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
No.

The first time I ran a rack, I ran three. Wasn't paying attention, but the regular playing on the table next to me complimented on my progress, as he remembered my humble beginnings.

I guess the planets were all line up that day, 'cuz that was my first and last three pack. At least, that I'm aware of.

So no, don't pay no nevermind.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I ever run a rack, I'll let you know. Or, I could just ask the fellow I've been playing lately if he remembers the racks/packs he puts on me.

The two things that do get my attention are:

Sitting in chair
Racking

Unfortunately, I do a lot of both lately.

kevoka

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Fun stuff.

I do remember the most interesting ones.

Like getting slammed in the face by the little 4 incher when I overzealously set the hook.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
Fun stuff.

I do remember the most interesting ones.

Like getting slammed in the face by the little 4 incher when I overzealously set the hook.

Done that more than once. Amazing how fast a 1 lb fish can leave the water when it hits a jig in a laydown.