Do you stroke and then stop your stroke before you hit the cue ball?

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you did, then what is the purpose of stroking if your are going to stop stroking before you hit the cue ball? Why not stroke and hit the cue ball while still stroking? That is a complete stroke!!! Your input is needed on this subject!
Many Regards,
Lock N load.

Added note.
A pause and a stop are two different things! If you pause at a stop sign you will get a ticket! If you stop at a stop sigh you won't get a ticket!
If you pause at the end of your stroke, that is one thing! If you stop at the end of your stroke then that is a whole different thing!!! Now if a person does not know the difference between them now, I do not know what to say!

Last edited:

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
If you did, then what is the purpose of stroking if your are going to stop stroking before you hit the cue ball? Why not stroke and hit the cue ball while still stroking? That is a complete stroke!!! Your input is needed on this subject!
Many Regards,
Lock N load.

Are you referring to a Pause at the end of the back stroke? Or are you referring to someone starting the forward motion (after pulling their cue back) to hit the ball and stopping their cue then continuing forward to strike the ball?

My stroke has a pause at the end of the back swing. Incorporating the pause at the end of my back swing, helps me keep my transition forward smooth and on the aim line. It works for me but your bound to receive varying opinions on this.

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
Do you stroke and then stop your stroke before you hit the cue ball?

If you stopped before you hit the CB then....you wouldnt hit the CB.

Or what am I missing, is this a trick question?

Shaky1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I look more like a fiddle player. :grin:
If I have a table length draw shot, Charlie Daniels would be proud.

Mitchxout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did the OP LaL mean do you or should you pause before your final backstroke? Every good player I ever saw did this. Take as many practice strokes as you want, then pause at the cueball before you fire away. ;) Doesn't one of our members teach a set, pause, stroke? I'm not sure wtf he meant exactly.

Last edited:

tjohio85

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the question that you are asking is if when your aiming at the object ball and stroking your cue back and forth do you ever pause the answer is yes I pause. I will stroke my cue back and forth then pause at the cue ball making sure were I am hitting the cue ball and aligning the shot I believe if you watch any of the good players out there all of them do this.

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many Regards,
Lock N load.

You have to pause to line up the tip to the CB and get so close to CB, otherwise, your tip might not hit where intended. The other reason to pause is to allow slow straight pull back and allow focus, it is hard to keep focus on a point if your hand is moving quickly.

It is true you will make many balls without stopping the stroke, especially when no side english is involved, but you will be more consistent by having accurate tip placement and that can only happen if you pause.

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well for me it depends for most shots i have a follow thru where the tip rest about six inches away from my bridge hand. Some shots i dont follow thru as far for certain reasons as far as a pause goes sometimes i do it sometimes i dont it depends.

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well for me it depends for most shots i have a follow thru where the tip rest about six inches away from my bridge hand. Some shots i dont follow thru as far for certain reasons as far as a pause goes sometimes i do it sometimes i dont it depends.

My opinion the closer the tip to CB the more accurate tip hit, but the danger is hitting CB while warming up, it takes some used to. Follow through is critical for long shots with english (top, bottom and sides) so english takes and lasts long enough or as desired, like a basket ball spin or yoyo spin. Follow through help ensure staying down after the shot; i agree not needed for every shot but in my opinion keeping same rhythm for all shots ensures consistency

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very good input, I thank you very much!

Allison Fisher said that pause was the best advice she ever got.

Check it out!

http://www.21ace.com/Allison-Fisher.php

A pause and a stop are two different things! If you pause at a stop sign you will get a ticket! If you stop at a stop sigh you won't get a ticket!
If you pause at the end of your stroke, that is one thing! If you stop at the end of your stroke then that is a whole different thing!!! Now if a person does not know the difference between now I do not know what to say!
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

bankshotbo

Ex-Pat
Silver Member
I try and make the stroke where I am committing to hitting the CB as smooth as a pendulum swing.

No drastic pause or stop.

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mitch, this should your thoughts up a bit!!!

Did the OP LaL mean do you or should you pause before your final backstroke? Every good player I ever saw did this. Take as many practice strokes as you want, then pause at the cueball before you fire away. ;) Doesn't one of our members teach a set, pause, stroke? I'm not sure wtf he meant exactly.

If you pause at the end of your stroke, that is one thing! If you stop at the end of your stroke then that is a whole different thing!!! Now if a person does not know the difference between now I do not know what to say!
Many Regards,
Lock N load.

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If you pause at the end of your stroke, that is one thing! If you stop at the end of your stroke then that is a whole different thing!!! Now if a person does not know the difference between them now, I do not know what to say!
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

turaniko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sometimes when I watch Alison Fisher, she stops at the end of the backswing. Many other snooker people do. A really good pool player and hustler friend of mine talked about this too but he advocated this pause or stop or hesitation before the last complete stroke.

Again, I am not sure what it is. I think I pause at the end of the back swing. Especially on the tough shots, this is a lot more visible.

the chicken

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After I come home from shooting, I sit in my favorite chair and review parts of every game, every missed shot and every shot that was nailed. But, no matter how hard I try, I can't answer this question. When it comes to what specifically I do when lining up the shot and taking preliminary strokes remains a mystery. I'm thinking that my technique varies with the type of shot and difficulty. This part of my game is probably the most dynamic and variable.

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good input Chicken.

After I come home from shooting, I sit in my favorite chair and review parts of every game, every missed shot and every shot that was nailed. But, no matter how hard I try, I can't answer this question. When it comes to what specifically I do when lining up the shot and taking preliminary strokes remains a mystery. I'm thinking that my technique varies with the type of shot and difficulty. This part of my game is probably the most dynamic and variable.

The truth is the right way. I played a little tonight and I watched my stroke. Thanks again.
Many Regards,
Lock N load.

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My opinion the closer the tip to CB the more accurate tip hit, but the danger is hitting CB while warming up, it takes some used to. Follow through is critical for long shots with english (top, bottom and sides) so english takes and lasts long enough or as desired, like a basket ball spin or yoyo spin. Follow through help ensure staying down after the shot; i agree not needed for every shot but in my opinion keeping same rhythm for all shots ensures consistency

My tip is very close the CB about the thickness of a tooth pic close while my forarm is at 90 degrees just like in my pic to the left. I ust to hit the CB like you have stated but its been a few months since i have done that.

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks JoseV.

My tip is very close the CB about the thickness of a tooth pic close while my forarm is at 90 degrees just like in my pic to the left. I ust to hit the CB like you have stated but its been a few months since i have done that.

Good input!
Many Regards,
Lock n Load.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lock N Load...There is no difference between a pause and a stop. They are both stops...just a different duration. ALL good poolplayers stop their cue, at the CB, prior to pulling the trigger. The primary reason for this is to allow your subconscious brain decide if you're "ready or not"!...also to double check aim points. ALL good poolplayers pause at the end of their backswing (to create a smooth transition between the backswing and the forward accelerated stroke)...some do it shorter or longer than others. Now...if you don't know that there is no difference, then I don't know what to say! :D

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Many Regards,
Lock N Load.