Do you use a foot-spot markers with Simonis 860HR?

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
We just had the table re-covered with Simonis 860HR (Tournament Blue) and absolutely love it! One of the primary motivations was the "divot" at the foot-spot of the old cloth.

I asked the installer if he was going to put a foot-spot marker/cover on it, he said that 860 is so flat that the marker edges quickly interfere with the path of any ball rolling over it.

That makes some sense, but I'm very concerned that without a marker/cover the foot-spot will develop a divot that makes it impossible to get a tight rack.

I'd really appreciate your thoughts and advice on this.

Will a marker/cover really interfere will ball roll?

Without a cover/marker, how long before a divot will occur? (we're not monster breakers, but not 14.1/OnePkt players either)

If we go with a marker/cover, what brand is the best?

Many thanks.
 
Loose racks on worn cloth are due to inconsistent racking. Draw a squaring line extending from the center diamond on the foot rail to the spot, perpendicular to the foot rail. This will ensure your racks are straight all the time. Instead of using a typical foot spot, use those paper hole reinforcers. There is no way to prevent the head ball divot. This will develop over time. Using the hole reinforcer will ensure that the divot is limited to a smaller area.
 
Marker

I change my spots with Simonis Spots once a month. It protects the cloth and makes it much easier to get a tight rack. I once didn't use them after a fresh recover and had holes beat through the cloth in less than 2 weeks. My tables get played on more than most home tables, but why subject your cloth to undo wear. Call Simonis, they'll give you some spots. Brian.
 
It's been my experience that if you don't use a spot you will get excess wear in that area. So for me, the spot save the cloth.
 
It's been my experience that if you don't use a spot you will get excess wear in that area. So for me, the spot save the cloth.

I agree with this. I also have the 860 HR and I do use the spot. Made the switch to the HR a year ago. I do not notice roll off's due to the spot at all. You do not need the spot if you primarily play 14.1 or onepocket, but if you like the hard break games such as 9 & 10 ball and 8 ball, then use the spot for sure. I would also go one step further and recommend using a break cloth. Using the break cloth has significantly reduced table wear for me for sure.
 
The Simonis spot only stayed on for about a week after the H.R. install.
I lay it on there anyway. It just comes right off. :embarrassed2:
 
You will definitely get a hole there without using a spot. Maybe not if using the magic rack, but using a regular rack, you will wear a hole there.
 
The Simonis spot only stayed on for about a week after the H.R. install.
I lay it on there anyway. It just comes right off. :embarrassed2:

Use a little spray glue on the back of the spot, then stick it back on the foot spot...works every time, don't ever go without a foot spot...as it DOES help eliminate the wear of the point ball grinding into the cloth.
 
Use a little spray glue on the back of the spot, then stick it back on the foot spot...works every time, don't ever go without a foot spot...as it DOES help eliminate the wear of the point ball grinding into the cloth.

I wiil do that Glen. Thanks!:)
 
Ditto about calling Simonis. They will send spots @ no charge or shipping costs.
 
Use a little spray glue on the back of the spot, then stick it back on the foot spot...works every time, don't ever go without a foot spot...as it DOES help eliminate the wear of the point ball grinding into the cloth.


I do the same thing with the spray glue... works great!

But, I also sand the edges of the spots to thin them down...
which works great too and helps stops a lot of what I call "spot roll".
 
We just had the table re-covered with Simonis 860HR (Tournament Blue) and absolutely love it! One of the primary motivations was the "divot" at the foot-spot of the old cloth.

I asked the installer if he was going to put a foot-spot marker/cover on it, he said that 860 is so flat that the marker edges quickly interfere with the path of any ball rolling over it.

That makes some sense, but I'm very concerned that without a marker/cover the foot-spot will develop a divot that makes it impossible to get a tight rack.

I'd really appreciate your thoughts and advice on this.

Will a marker/cover really interfere will ball roll?

Without a cover/marker, how long before a divot will occur? (we're not monster breakers, but not 14.1/OnePkt players either)

If we go with a marker/cover, what brand is the best?

Many thanks.
He is nuts!
 
Spot

On fresh or freshly cleaned simonis cloth a spot is best installed by sticking the spot in place then using the back side of the contact paper that it comes stuck to, and press firmly with thump and rub in a circle over on top of the spot until you feel the heat from the friction ' give her a few more long strokes around the edge for good measure:)
-the friction activates the adhesive to stick really well-
Let the smoke clear then Rack em up and enjoy'
-
Pss. Make sure you do not crease the spot during the separating from the contact paper.
-
Rob.M
 
Back
Top