Do you use an aiming system or go by feel?

Do you use an aiming system or go by feel?

• I always go by feel

Votes: 153 53.5%
  • Usually by feel, with aiming systems for hard shots

Votes: 68 23.8%
  • Usually with aiming systems, by feel for easy shots

Votes: 24 8.4%
  • I always use aiming systems

Votes: 26 9.1%
  • I just hit balls very hard and hope they sink

Votes: 15 5.2%

• Total voters

SamLambert

Daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
Someone brought up in another thread that the Pinoy's look at the shadow of the cue in the CB.

This helped my accuracy tremendously! (probably after already hitting a million balls this is just improving my focus)

I subconsiously know where the pocket is already. This helps me really pick out the exact spot on the CB.

I think I read somewhere that SVB does something similar.

How does it work exactly?

Apocalypse2017

Welcome to the resistance
Silver Member

the-color-of-money.jpg

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with what others have said that the line between using a system or not is hard to define. I look at where I need to hit the object ball - so do I use the ghost ball system, and is that even really a system? When I'm down on the shot I look at how much of the ball I'm hitting - so am I using a fractional ball system?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
There's no such thing "no system" unless you're just shooting the CB in any random direction.

If you look at the OB, the CB and the pocket, your brain is using a very sophisticated system (you might call it "Feel") to determine the correct shot line. Your brain is making hundreds of Yes/No decisions...a "system" just gives you a couple of guideposts along the way to keep your brain/thoughts on track to the final goal. It could be that you've done it for so long that you don't think much about it (like driving a car), but your brain is thinking about it.

I use a system on every shot. Sometimes it's an Equal Overlap system,sometimes it's Allison Fisher's advice of "aim for the spot on the ball furthest away from the pocket, and sometimes it's just "this looks right to me." But they are all systems.

Last edited:

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I don't know if you'd call it an aiming system as such. I use mostly ghost ball and back of ball aiming, but I have noticed certain regularities in how the shots react from various angles with different speeds etc. So I do have a systematic way of compensating for that, involving precise aimpoints inside and outside the pocket. These are not random compensations but carefully calculated from trial and error, knowledge of throw etc. I use these when I'm coming onto the table cold etc, then the instinct takes over once I'm a couple of shots in. There are a handful of shots on the table where I feel I get some benefit from aiming with a commercial type system, and on those I will sometimes use them.

I have used aiming systems in the past and can use them if I feel like it, but I think they get in the way of playing the game for the most part. They may have their uses for shots that can deceive you, and for the inexperienced player, but once you start running the balls, I think it's rare for people who actually play well, to be mechanically applying an aiming system.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I have my own aiming system. If I do not subscribe to an established aiming system does that mean I go by feel?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I think I have my own aiming system. If I do not subscribe to an established aiming system does that mean I go by feel?
You "go by feel" no matter what you subscribe to. Systems can make it seem like there's no feel involved (and that can help your confidence), but it isn't really true.

pj
chgo

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just visualize a ghost ball and the line through ghost ball, OB, and then to the pocket and find my point of aim on that line. In the end, I'm aiming at a very specific spot that I visualize on the cloth. Of course you have to take into account throw and things like that which I find mostly comes automatically but on some tough shots I will consciously take them into consideration in my mental calculation of where to aim.

I don't consider that a system but visualization like others have said. Some shots I do go by feel, I don't need to consider that process because I just see or feel the shot intuitively, but anytime that doesn't happen I fall back on the above approach.

I have tried to read a little about aiming systems but things like CTE seem overly complicated.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:killingme:

:kma::kma:

When I teach pool on aiming, I teach by using a 2 1/2 inch PVC pipe.

Lay the pipe down on the table to a pocket then imagine what direction the ball has
to travel to take that route. I will not take a long look at one little tiny spot.

I teach that you have to make the ball move in the direction of the pipe.

I know the smart people have a name for my system, but I don't use a name.

It's just ball in the hole...just like the old Willie Mosconi Red and Blue soft back books.

:welcome:

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's no such thing "no system" unless you're just shooting the CB in any random direction.

If you look at the OB, the CB and the pocket, your brain is using a very sophisticated system (you might call it "Feel") to determine the correct shot line. Your brain is making hundreds of Yes/No decisions...a "system" just gives you a couple of guideposts along the way to keep your brain/thoughts on track to the final goal. It could be that you've done it for so long that you don't think much about it (like driving a car), but your brain is thinking about it.

I use a system on every shot. Sometimes it's an Equal Overlap system,sometimes it's Allison Fisher's advice of "aim for the spot on the ball furthest away from the pocket, and sometimes it's just "this looks right to me." But they are all systems.

You say theres no such thing as a system.., but then you name two systems? There is a system if you use one and your successful, if it works for you, right?

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You say theres no such thing as a system.., but then you name two systems? There is a system if you use one and your successful, if it works for you, right?

lol I think you need to re-read what he posted.

seven_7days

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When playing pool, there's a time to feel and there's a time to aim.
Remember to say to yourself...

Tournament: "This is not the time to feel"
$10K+ sets: "This is not the time to aim"

uhhh...good luck.
leaving.gif

nfuids

eh?
Silver Member

SVB aims with the side of his cue to a specific point on the OB. Depending on the cut angle, he aims at different place on the OB.

As per his "How to aim with SVB" video.

Lou Loulacy

Registered
Visualization aiming helps me to zone in, I see a video visualization of what I want to happen. If I can't get that to work I fall back to ghost ball or fractional overlap (half ball, 1/4 ball, etc) Feel becomes my last check. I ask myself if I am really going to make the ball. Also I try to focus on pocketing the ball in the middle of the pocket, similar to aiming for the middle of the rim rather than just making the free throw.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Wybrook

A. Wheeler
Silver Member
I visualize where the ghost ball would be, and hit that spot.

(sometimes small adjustment for throw, etc)

...but this is wrong....

Aiming systems do not work.. Even the basic ones.

For example, shooting a ball that is 5 feet away, to the left with hard inside, top... you are actually "aiming" on the left side of the OB.. As you hit the ball softer, you start adjusting more to the right to eventually, when you hit that shot super soft, you actually "aim" to miss the OB on the right side..

"Aiming" is about shooting enough balls that your brain figures out about where to hit the CB to make the OB go in a hole that is hopefully big enough...

Anyone that advocates "aiming systems" basically thinks they are using something, but their mind makes subconscious adjustments to put them in correct alignment.. They attribute it to their "system" when its really not..

nfuids

eh?
Silver Member
I agree that no aiming system is magic. But aiming system can help determining the correct line of aim and then you can adjust for various stuff (throw, squirt, swerve, etc etc). But still, an aiming system can certainly help, but won't do the job for ya!

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I agree that no aiming system is magic. But aiming system can help determining the correct line of aim and then you can adjust for various stuff (throw, squirt, swerve, etc etc). But still, an aiming system can certainly help, but won't do the job for ya!
You left a step out of your description: an aiming system only gets you in the ballpark for the correct line of aim - you have to finish the job by feel before you can adjust for squirt/swerve/throw.

pj
chgo

Wybrook

A. Wheeler
Silver Member
You left a step out of your description: an aiming system only gets you in the ballpark for the correct line of aim - you have to finish the job by feel before you can adjust for squirt/swerve/throw.

pj
chgo

Haha.. This is the part that "aiming aficionados" try to ignore...

The difference between making a shot and missing a shot when the OB is 3 feet or more from the pocket is only a matter of about 2 mm at the contact point.. Less as you move further away.. Aiming systems won't get you anywhere near this range, save for a couple of almost straight in, no english, medium speed type shots..