Does anyone take pride in a league anymore

Poke_N_Hope

Lost in Paradise
Silver Member
So...I wanted to get some thoughts and feedback on league operators. I live in a small town, but the per capita pool player is an outstanding percentage...we have lots. We have lots of leagues...but it seems like they are going downhill anymore. Maybe it is just my league operators, but the Vegas payouts are the same now as they were 10 years ago...but Vegas is more expensive, the league costs more, he'll the tables cost more.

Is it just me...or do league operators forget they got into this because they loved pool...not to make a poor living off of the backs of their fellow shooters...and feel special about themselves later.

Are their league operators out there that give more than they get? Are they all on the take? Maybe I just need to start my own and show these dorks how to be successful...not rich, but successful by having a strong league that can run great and keep most (not all) shooters happy and proud to participate.

Thoughts?

8onthebreak

THE WORLD IS YOURS
Silver Member
So...I wanted to get some thoughts and feedback on league operators. I live in a small town, but the per capita pool player is an outstanding percentage...we have lots. We have lots of leagues...but it seems like they are going downhill anymore. Maybe it is just my league operators, but the Vegas payouts are the same now as they were 10 years ago...but Vegas is more expensive, the league costs more, he'll the tables cost more.

Is it just me...or do league operators forget they got into this because they loved pool...not to make a poor living off of the backs of their fellow shooters...and feel special about themselves later.

Are their league operators out there that give more than they get? Are they all on the take? Maybe I just need to start my own and show these dorks how to be successful...not rich, but successful by having a strong league that can run great and keep most (not all) shooters happy and proud to participate.

Thoughts?

Try running a league and get back to us, lol.
I've never been able to figure out what drives a person to run a league...first of all, it's a charity job. There's no money, they pay out every dime they take in...most of them. And, they answer phone calls everyday, and all night, and drive packets around from bar to bar, and pick them up...from every bar. They are arbitrators for the arguments that come up nightly, they have to figure out handicaps every week, call all the teams when a team joins or drops out, redo the entire schedule for the whole season, host awards night, answer complaints and b!tching about the payouts and people thinking they're getting screwed, try to collect dues from non-paying members, record and track...break and runs, ero's , innings, team points, nights played, team rankings, player rankings, .....................the list goes on and on.
Someone offered to give me a league with 6-8 teams in it. I asked what I would make...they said if you raised the dues, you could get like 50 bucks a week or something stupid like that....

50 bucks....?!?!?!?!?
Really?
I'd rather put my nuts in a vice than go thru all that for 50 bucks!

NO THANKS!!!
I appreciate the leagues hard work, and we all need to really step back and realize that we're talking about a non-profit organization here.
I will gladly pay my 6 dollar nightly dues, or whatever, I believe APA is making some jack, but I guarantee they were non profit for YEARS !!!!!!!

Poke_N_Hope

Lost in Paradise
Silver Member
You make a great point...I can't argue. It is a full time job...and if it pays at all...the pay sucks. I appreciate the input...as maybe there are several elements I am missing.

Maybe finding a league operator that does it because they love pool is a rarity. I see lots of cue makers and cue repair persons that don't do it for a profit (they claim)....maybe I am naive to think the same could be true for leagues.

Thanks to the thoughts....I welcome more people,to share with me their thoughts and straighten out my logic.

8onthebreak

THE WORLD IS YOURS
Silver Member
You make a great point...I can't argue. It is a full time job...and if it pays at all...the pay sucks. I appreciate the input...as maybe there are several elements I am missing.

Maybe finding a league operator that does it because they love pool is a rarity. I see lots of cue makers and cue repair persons that don't do it for a profit (they claim)....maybe I am naive to think the same could be true for leagues.

Thanks to the thoughts....I welcome more people,to share with me their thoughts and straighten out my logic.

Here's the question...would you accept your league for free...they'll give it to you...if you accept it, all responsibility is on you, and it pays 50$ ???

If the answer is no, hen you've been straightened out, lol

Poke_N_Hope

Lost in Paradise
Silver Member
To be honest...there are leagues available that require little to no monetary investment. I would be the sucker and do it for the love and promotion of pool in my area. Maybe I am just a sucker with grand ideas!

Poke_N_Hope

Lost in Paradise
Silver Member
Let me add some detail. A league...6-8 teams, runs 30+ weeks, one long session. No awards, t shirts patches or prizes for finishing in league for any team....and the only payout was $1800 for team to go to Vegas for the team that won the finals tourney.

Is this normal procedure...take in $120+ a week in weekly dues for 30 weeks and only payout half. I understand if you have 20 or 30 teams...the prizes and payouts run deeper and taking a chunk for operating is more acceptable...but this seems a bit greedy and much with so few teams.

8onthebreak

THE WORLD IS YOURS
Silver Member
Let me add some detail. A league...6-8 teams, runs 30+ weeks, one long session. No awards, t shirts patches or prizes for finishing in league for any team....and the only payout was $1800 for team to go to Vegas for the team that won the finals tourney.

Is this normal procedure...take in $120+ a week in weekly dues for 30 weeks and only payout half. I understand if you have 20 or 30 teams...the prizes and payouts run deeper and taking a chunk for operating is more acceptable...but this seems a bit greedy and much with so few teams.

Not normal, IMO...most leagues I've played in pay out virtually everything they took in, and payed season end...to 1st 2-3 teams...but none of those small leagues sent a team to Vegas, that's pretty cool, let em make a buck for their trouble...just my .02

Poke_N_Hope

Lost in Paradise
Silver Member
Maybe that is the missing ticket...it is cool that they sending a team to Vegas. A good league operator is worth their wight in gold...maybe mine isn't too bad...I am just not looking at all angles.

Str8PoolPlayer

“1966 500 SuperFast”
Silver Member
Our League President, Vice President, and Secretary/Treasurer are Real Stand-up Guys
who work extra hard for the sake of the League ... The majority of players, however, are
dirt-bag doper losers who couldn't give a shit about Pool. League night is a Drinking and
Dope Smoking Party for them.
After 13 yrs. I'm DONE !!!

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Here's a message, from the short bus.

You're welcome.

Yep, you're welcome. After all, you did thank us lowly league players, over here on the short bus, for keeping open what few places there are left to play pool these days, right?

So, you're welcome.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
okay a few things...

One to the guy who compared it to a short bus. I'm going to assume you were just having a joke by the smiley face but if not for leagues pool would be even more dead then it already is. God knows the vast majority of you cheap broke ass wanna be hustlers don't keep pool halls or bars alive.

I can say locally that acs is dead and bca seems to be on the downward slide since apa came to town. I think that's largely because our current generation would rather get a handy capp to play even with better players then have to work hard plus apa offers vegas which seems to be a golden carrot to it's members.

The turn off around here for apa is people don't think that you should financially benefit from running a pool league. all our leagues before this have put all the money they make back out for the banquet and tournaments. I don't have a problem with it! I've helped run a small league and it's a pain in the ass! There is a lot of work that goes on behind the scene and I can only imagine with all the teams apa has and having to send correct stats and money to st louis is a big pain in the ass so if they can make a living god bless them.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh and to answer the question.. Yes I do! I've won my share of tournaments but the times I've won league championships with a group of pool loving friends have always and will always be the best times in my pool playing life.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Oh and to answer the question.. Yes I do! I've won my share of tournaments but the times I've won league championships with a group of pool loving friends have always and will always be the best times in my pool playing life.

Good point.

Even just winning the division session championship, with my team, is a great feeling. Something we accomplished together. Winning the Tri-Cup, to qualify for LTC, even better. Next week, we try for Vegas. Together.

We spend time together each week, enjoying our company, and enjoying playing pool. It's pretty damned cool, to me.

I'm proud of what our team has accomplished.

Last edited:

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you and I think a like. I play this game now for the same reason I starting playing it 25 years a go. For the love of the game... I never expect to make a lot of money playing the game. I just want to play because to me it's the greatest game there is and for some reason making balls go into pocket never seems to get old.

Good point.

Even just winning the division session championship, with my team, is a great feeling. Something we accomplished together. Winning the Tri-Cup, to qualify for LTC, even better. Next week, we try for Vegas. Together.

We spend time together each week, enjoying our company, and enjoying playing pool. It's pretty damned cool, to me.

I'm proud of what our team has accomplished.

YOLO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would like to say thank you to everyone that make leagues happen. The time and energy, in addition to the hundreds of personalities you have to deal with, must make it a truly thankless job. Are there a few bad apples? I have no doubt that there are but that is also the case with every place I have ever worked (or played).

I am not a league player but want to be. Why? Slapping the balls around with a few friends doesn't do it for me any more. It's actually getting boring and my game is suffering because of it. I want to get better and believe joining a league would help bring the competitor out in me again. Help move my game to a new level that I haven't experienced before. On top of that I would get a chance to meet more people who love to play. Regardless of any possible downside, that all sounds pretty good to me.

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
I started not to post on this thread but I want you to understand the different mindsets of say tournament or money players. With me.... Money is my motivation, other than that I will go bet on something else. With most league players it's recreation and for most the players I run with its about the money. When your on a team trying to win and your team mates are drinking and shooting at stupid sh1t it becomes conflict.
One is recreation the other is more of a job.
I'm happy for leaguers but its different motivation that drives us

Rain-Man

Team Deplorable
Silver Member
Spot on!

Try running a league and get back to us, lol.
I've never been able to figure out what drives a person to run a league...first of all, it's a charity job. There's no money, they pay out every dime they take in...most of them. And, they answer phone calls everyday, and all night, and drive packets around from bar to bar, and pick them up...from every bar. They are arbitrators for the arguments that come up nightly, they have to figure out handicaps every week, call all the teams when a team joins or drops out, redo the entire schedule for the whole season, host awards night, answer complaints and b!tching about the payouts and people thinking they're getting screwed, try to collect dues from non-paying members, record and track...break and runs, ero's , innings, team points, nights played, team rankings, player rankings, .....................the list goes on and on.
Someone offered to give me a league with 6-8 teams in it. I asked what I would make...they said if you raised the dues, you could get like 50 bucks a week or something stupid like that....

50 bucks....?!?!?!?!?
Really?
I'd rather put my nuts in a vice than go thru all that for 50 bucks!

NO THANKS!!!
I appreciate the leagues hard work, and we all need to really step back and realize that we're talking about a non-profit organization here.
I will gladly pay my 6 dollar nightly dues, or whatever, I believe APA is making some jack, but I guarantee they were non profit for YEARS !!!!!!!

Couldn't have said it better!!! League operator is one of the most thankless jobs on the planet. I'm not a L. O., and never want to be one... I talk to the 3 L. O. 's that run their respective leagues out of my place on a regular basis and it is nothing but headaches for all of them, and definitely not worth the tiny bit of compensation they receive for it.

Remember, these guys ARE doing what they do cause they (used to) love the game, not for the money. I try and support these guys anytime I can, and appreciate what they do for us, not the other way around..

jhanso18

Broken Lock
Silver Member
I just like to compete and have fun. I won*t argue rules or clean hits. If the person I'm playiing wants the win bad enough to cheat I don't give a shit enough to fight with them.

League is for FUN, if you don't have fun you're doing it wrong...

best,

Justin

Last edited: