Does playing pool feel like ages ago?

ShootingHank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was just thinking how long it was since I played pool seriously and competitively. It seems like a part of my past rather than a part of me. Playing pool feels like a long time ago and I no longer feel like a pool player.

I guess this is how the death of pool feels like.

Does it feel like a long time ago?

gogg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Day before yesterday.... so glad that the tables are still in place since you can’t get into most bars and such.
My friend set up a friendly game with a buddy/competitor in a private setting.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
I only play winter months, so no real change. Why I’m floating around 600 Fargo rate. Time I start playing good it warms up and I start fishing again.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Played 10 hours Sunday. League Monday, and again tonight.

Tonight is Whiskey Wednesday in my pool room too. :D

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was just thinking how long it was since I played pool seriously and competitively. It seems like a part of my past rather than a part of me. Playing pool feels like a long time ago and I no longer feel like a pool player.

it does and it doesn't..
I was playing regularly til february..haven't been on a table since
but I think about, watch it, and of course, spend time here
there's a terrific book called "the musical life"
it suggests that one does not need play an instrument to be a musical person
I feel similarly about pool
if I never rest my body on baize-covered slate again
I will always be a pool player.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is like remembering playing hoops in the school yard after work or slamming a softball 250’ OTF.
That’s in the past and as we age, things just change. Now you can still play pool as you age but the
vast majority of pool players mainly play at pool halls, bars or a table that’s at someone else’s house.

The longer you are away from something, the less you miss it. Life is too precious to become myopic
about pool. If I never play again, there are other things to do. Yup, I’d rather play pool than any other
leisure activity but the longer you don’t play, the less important it becomes. COVID-19 is ruining the
future for pool because pool halls are the life blood for this game we all love. The reality is there’ll be
less pool rooms post COVID-19 because pool halls were already shrinking in number pre-COVID-19.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I haven't hit a ball in almost six months, but I still feel like a pool player, and I can't wait to get back to it. I haven't attended a pro pool even since Derby City during the final week in January, but I'm still a serious fan, itching to go to a big event.

Being deprived of pool for all this time has reminded me how much I love it and how big a part in my life pool has and will continue to play.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm fortunate enough to have a table in my garage- albeit a bar table (but a tough one with 4 inch pockets). I've had an ongoing virtual challenge match with a friend (who obviously has his own home table too)- 9 ball ghost and the Hopkins Q challenge- final score for 10 racks each day alternating the games. It is a good way to stay in stroke.

However, I've wanted to play live opponents, so I've had some friends over in the last few weeks. It is amazing how fast some players can get back into stroke- it is a bit depressing losing to a guy who hasn't played in nearly 5 months :grin:

philly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Been 6 months for me.
Miss it terribly.
Almost stopped in to the poolroom today just to say hi.
Said nah.
Not quite ready yet.
I do have a nine foot GCIII in perfect condition in the basement
but it's just not the same.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Been 6 months for me.
Miss it terribly.
Said nah.
Not quite ready yet.

hey hang in there, phi...wait, you have a table?:thumbup:

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I practice on my home table. Plus I have a buddy close in skill to me. We meet up about every other week and compete for about 5 hours. $10 sets. Usually each set is a different game: 8 ball, 9 ball, 10 ball (call safe), and banks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ShootingHank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Been 6 months for me.
Miss it terribly.
Said nah.
Not quite ready yet.

Wear your mask and stay briefly.

I'm sure people miss you there too.

philly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Wear your mask and stay briefly.

I'm sure people miss you there too.

Thanks for that.
I have a lot for friends and acquaintances in the tri state area
whom I miss.
Probably no place on earth more diverse than a poolroom.
Everyone has a story and some game.

misterpoole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I cant remember when i went a week without hitting balls. It has been decades. Its now been months and although i miss the game i know its more important for my family that i dont spend any time in pool rooms or sports bars. I just hope when i am ready the places i want to play are still in business. I will play as many matches and tournaments that i can when i can...just waiting for now

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
{SNIP}The longer you are away from something, the less you miss it. {SNIP}

The last time I played on a 9 foot table was the mid 90s. Played on varying degrees of bar tables around the world since then, but nothing since early 2017. I NEVER quit missing it.

I still feel like a cue is an extension of my arm. Was just notified today that my 9 foot Diamond, ordered May 4th when the factory reopened, is being scheduled for delivery; date will be set by Monday.

By the time I’m back in stroke, we should have a vaccine and I can venture out again. Still working after retirement age, but if I can still contribute, so be it.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

It's the love of the game that hooks us. You're always going to be a pool player.

Last edited:

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well the virus has been around for almost 9 months now and still isn’t getting any better, so at this rate it could hang around for years. So if your waiting on it to go away you might need some patience. I’m lucky to have a table at home and play when I want, but haven’t been to a pool room in months. Don’t know when I’ll venture out again, I rarely did anyway before all this came about. Just have to wait and see I guess.