Doping in billiards, how ridiculous is this?

beav99_4life

BPT Champion
Silver Member
I just finished watching Around the Horn on ESPN and Jay Mariotti announced that a german pool player named Axel Butcher was busted by their coalition over there for steroids or performance enhancing drugs!!! How ridiculous is this?
 
damn. u ruined it. I tivod it and just started watching it. And yeah the doping in billards has been all over the boards and was on ESPN first take this morning
 
this is nothing new............i was doping in pool years ago.

i dont remember it enhancing anything other than my mood though :D
 
beav99_4life said:
I just finished watching Around the Horn on ESPN and Jay Mariotti announced that a german pool player named Axel Butcher was busted by their coalition over there for steroids or performance enhancing drugs!!! How ridiculous is this?


Man, I'm not old enough to go back in the day to the 70's and early 80's but if you talk to any old school player they will tell you that if you were playing straight you were at a disadvantage.

There's so many players now who still operate on "performance enhancing" drugs.. I can name atleast 10 off top that I know of that use something or another.

Great players that you would know by name if I said. I will not name them of course. It's either some sort of pills or that powder.

I have never been interested in doing any of that so I wouldn't know how it works personally but I have heard the lady makes you feel like superman and you just can't miss.

You might even be able to spot it if you watch close enough.
 
Let's not forget psychadelics

Who was the crackpot hippie who posted the thread about LSD?

... oh. Never mind.

Anyway, you can play pool on acid. Trouble is you can't walk.
 
Too bad...

Saw a great player back in the late 70's start using the product he was selling and destroyed his game. Was a top 25 player at one time, now he is nowhere to be seen. Very, very sad.
 
Aw, better pool through chemistry!

Over the years, the guys I've seen that were on the "stuff" get to the point that they can't play without it.

One of the funniest and saddest things I've seen is one of these guys that gets into action but is out of the go-go juice. The word "frantic" does not describe their actions as they go running around the room looking for someone to hook them up.

I will tell you one thing. Back in the day when you didn't quit until the other guy was busted, playing one of these guys a long session that had a good supply and was amped up was tough to out run some times.

Stones
 
Stones said:
Aw, better pool through chemistry!

Over the years, the guys I've seen that were on the "stuff" get to the point that they can't play without it.

One of the funniest and saddest things I've seen is one of these guys that gets into action but is out of the go-go juice. The word "frantic" does not describe their actions as they go running around the room looking for someone to hook them up.

I will tell you one thing. Back in the day when you didn't quit until the other guy was busted, playing one of these guys a long session that had a good supply and was amped up was tough to out run some times.

Stones
Your right about getting to the point of having to have "it' to play. In the mid eighties in my room in south Florida I had a player who became so dependant that if someone came in and wanted to play some $50.00 sets he would run out and buy $210.00 of the "stuff" (just in case they wanted to play all night). He would usually win one or two sets. He was good at pool but very weak at math.
 
Back
Top