Dr. Dave Chalk shootout😃

MurrayNevada

I used Master chalk for years and thought paying $20+ for a cube of chalk was insane.....until I tried Taom. I'll never buy anything else.
The "until I tried Taom" remark in your post is important to this thread. Looks to me that many here, commenting negatively about Taom and/or its price, have never tried it. I would think many of us now using Taom have long experience using Master and by comparison prefer Taom. A comparison is necessary before one chalk can be rated above another.

Last edited:

madjammer

Registered
The "until I tried Taom" remark in your post is important to this thread. Looks to me that many here, commenting negatively about Taom and/or its price, have never tried it. I would think many of us now using Taom have long experience using Master and by comparison prefer Taom. A comparison is necessary before one chalk can be rated above another.
Agreed. It seems like a lot of people think Taom users are forking out money trying to become better players. I have no illusions about it helping my game, other than the fact I get practically no skids, I don't spend any time wiping down the cue ball between racks, and the amount of time I spend waiting on the ball polisher and cleaning my table has been cut in half, if not more. Well worth the $2 to $4 a month investment to me.

DJKeys

Sound Design
Silver Member
If you apply Masters like a woman putting on lipstick (or I guess a man these days), and don't apply it over top of the table, its not that messy.

Applying every shot is part if my preshot routine. So I would probably apply every shot no matter what chalk I was using. So for economy, I might as well stick to the masters.
Yes, If you chalk every shot, any chalk will work fine. The chalk dust argument is separate.

-dj

Grimper

In my testing so far V10 only gets you maybe 20% more shots if you don't want to chalk. It's basically masters that doesn't stick to the CB as well. Cleanness is really the only main difference I see.

What's painful is cleaning.

Folks just don't seem to get it. These chalks are worth the money because (1) they work great and (2) THEY'RE SUPER CLEAN.

With Masters, after 2 hours of pool I look like I stuck my hand in a can of blue paint. With Roku/Kamui, I don't have a spot on me.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Folks just don't seem to get it. These chalks are worth the money because (1) they work great and (2) THEY'RE SUPER CLEAN.

With Masters, after 2 hours of pool I look like I stuck my hand in a can of blue paint. With Roku/Kamui, I don't have a spot on me.

What are you doing in two hours to turn you hand Blue? I played couple hours this am, with master Green, and hand were clean.

You over chalking? Amazes me to see seasoned players with chalk cubes that look like a tooth with cavity.

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use Master chalk. I hold it I my left hand (bridge hand ) when shootin. It’s a habit I started years ago. It doesn’t interfere with my shot making.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
This thread is like a reminder of one night at Cigar club someone asked about what was best Torch lighter, and how many Jets.

Everyone one had favorite, and no one was right or wrong.

rharm

Registered
I don't understand people saying $20 for a piece of chalk is too much to spend. That's like the cost of having 3 beers on one league night. As long as you don't lose it, that $20 investment should last one year. Think of how much is spent on playing pool (entry fees, league fees, quarters/table time, beverages) over the course of a year, $20 is nothing

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I been using same piece of Chalk, when I personally Chalk, I only use enough to cover the Tip.

If you not miscueing, then your using enough Chalk.

I got in habit of Chalking ever shot, but I do not over Chalk,

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I don't understand people saying $20 for a piece of chalk is too much to spend. That's like the cost of having 3 beers on one league night. As long as you don't lose it, that $20 investment should last one year. Think of how much is spent on playing pool (entry fees, league fees, quarters/table time, beverages) over the course of a year, $20 is nothing

Thing is if you keep track of your Chalk, it will not disappear.

I sure would be pissed if my $20.00 Chalk walked away.

I put mine in my pocket.👍

xX-Wizard-Xx

but its a piece of chalk ... with a very simple goal ... the results it produces does not justify the cost

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
What are you doing in two hours to turn you hand Blue? I played couple hours this am, with master Green, and hand were clean.

You over chalking? Amazes me to see seasoned players with chalk cubes that look like a tooth with cavity.
I chalk with my bridge hand, after playing for a couple of hours my hand looks like I gave a Smurf a rectal exam, especially my middle 2 fingers for some reason.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I chalk with my bridge hand, after playing for a couple of hours my hand looks like I gave a Smurf a rectal exam, especially my middle 2 fingers for some reason.

Maybe you need a soft towel to use to keep hands clean.👍

CaptainBly

Registered
I have had my V10 about a week so far. What a difference vs Masters. I was a BIG Masters proponent. Still am for the most part. When you have a pre shot routine and chalk before every shot, Masters works as well as any chalk on the market. Grips, wont miscue and stays on.
However, it is messy. It leaves a lot of dust that will build up over time. I have a table in my finished basement and I can feel the dust on the floor and rails after a few hours of playing. The inside of my Diamond also had quite a bit of chalk dust in the ball return. I cleaned the table inside and out, polished the balls and cleaned my stick.
After a few days of playing with the V10 I am sold on it for the cleanliness alone, for my home table. The balls stay clean, no more gritty feel on the rails or floor.
I will say if I was only playing in a pool hall, I would just use masters as it works as well as the V10, just dirtier. The price tag while high for just "chalk" is only really obscene when compared to Masters. I will pay the difference for my home room, I would not if I didn't have a home table.
Just my opinion for what its worth.

zencues.com

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A gross of Master chalk is about $35 retail.

A gross of $20 chalk is $2880.00 retail.

If someone buys one or two pieces a year... not a big deal.

But companies making 2k+ off one box of chalk... I don't know if that's right.