Here we go again

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-08-15-10-25-11.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-08-15-10-25-11.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 547

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
A 5k dollar fine? Is he trying to get beat up or something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Out of curiosity... in order to play in WPA events or CBSA events or WXYZ events, do you have to be a member of said event hosting party?

If not, where is the benefit in joining one?

If so, why join one and limit yourself and be subject to shit like this?

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Out of curiosity... in order to play in WPA events or CBSA events or WXYZ events, do you have to be a member of said event hosting party?

Good question but what I've always gotten out of it is that WPA puts on most of the " good " tourneys with the biggest prize money and yes you have to be part of that organization AND agree to this rule when joining. The first time I can remember this coming up was with something about the US OPEN a few years ago ????

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has the WPA even confirmed that the Jinan event is proceeding? Last week they were telling people not to book flights!

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wasn't it just a week ago that Sir Ian couldn't even confirm that the Jinan event (what was originally to be the WPA World 8 Ball Championships that quietly was renamed) was going to actually take place?! :rolleyes:

Who are the BCA reps to the WPA?

noMoreSchon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What has happened to the handful of players who have not been paid from the last

tournament? It seems fine to put forth a fine for players who choose to play somewhere

else when the organization has a problem paying its players.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What has happened to the handful of players who have not been paid from the last

tournament? It seems fine to put forth a fine for players who choose to play somewhere

else when the organization has a problem paying its players.

Yep. Seems like any contract with the players would have been considered breeched when the players didn't get paid. Obviously I'm not a lawyer and haven't read the contract but it seems reasonable that one of the reasons a player would sign would be to guarantee payment.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the world of contracrs, what 'should' be and wht is are not tied togrther.

Onr party to the contract is a young person pursuing a dream (to avoid job),.the other is a business that always wants an edge.
It wouldnt surprise me to find sir oan os well within his contractual rights to requrire members to forgo other events and to allow wpa full discrection re the pursuit of unpaid monies.

Classic "...who has the gold" scenario.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the world of contracrs, what 'should' be and wht is are not tied togrther.

Onr party to the contract is a young person pursuing a dream (to avoid job),.the other is a business that always wants an edge.
It wouldnt surprise me to find sir oan os well within his contractual rights to requrire members to forgo other events and to allow wpa full discrection re the pursuit of unpaid monies.

Classic "...who has the gold" scenario.

You are right, of course. Their constitution has a lot of what the members have to do but nothing about what the WPA has to do.

On their tournament sanctioning page though, it does lay out some requirements for a tournament to be sanctioned. http://wpapool.com/tournament-sanctioning/

Apparently for new organizers they require prize funds to be in escrow 45 days before the event. If the money is not in escrow they are obligated to notify the players that it isn't there. Were the players notified that the prize money was not in escrow? The text is pretty loose in terms of whether or not the notification only applies to new organizers.

I read it as: New organizers are required to put prize funds in escrow. If the prize funds are not in escrow then the players must be notified. It doesn't specify if the notification only applies to new organizers or not.

So for example, if an established organizer holds an event and escrow is not required, the players should be notified that the funds are not in escrow so they can make a decision as to how much faith they have in that organizer.

If I were a WPA member player and wanted to make a point I would declare that WPA is in breech of agreement and remains so until all players are paid in full. I would withhold any membership dues as well.

Website text promises can be considered an agreement in many countries.

At the very least, copy and pasted website text of the agreement they are in violation of can be used to create a publicity problem for the organization.

I don't know how much more I'd push it. It depends on if I had a lot to lose by not playing in their events I guess.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Well, I wanted to go there and now I f-ing cant! Stupid god damned politics ruins everything! If you go, the WPA fines you and bans you from their events!

If you want to play the Eurotour and of course the tours of European countries you are under the WPA governing body, so we're just about screwed. The WPA knows this, so they can do whatever the hell they want (sitting on their asses, mostly). Good job. I find it particularly ironic that the fine actually is about as high as a first place in a Eurotour event, lol. That shows you the difference between China and Europe right now. You make a single ball in that event and it earns you 5k. (ok, maybe not, but you get the idea).

Last edited:

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member

If you want to play and be ranked on the Eurotour, or represent your European country or even take part in the national championship, you have to joint the federation which is under the WPA. There is hardly a single tournament thats not under this umbrella, so being banned means you can't compete at pool at all.

The whole system is a corrupt pile of paperwork and fatcats, but I guess I can't complain to you guys, since Europe actually has a tour, even though it pays absolute peanuts. You have to play 50 world beaters to get a chance at 5k, so basically the fine for going somewhere else to compete is as high as the first price money! What an absolute joke! Not only that, but to compete you have to stay at their partners hotel, so that winning is the only thing that earns you a modest reward. Anything else barely breaks even at best.

Last edited: