DRAW SHOT Effects Myth Buster … a Slow Motion Video Study

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI, I just posted a new video that shows and discusses results from a careful slow-motion-video study debunking many common myths concerning draw shot effectiveness related to stroke acceleration and timing, and tip contact time. Check it out:

Contents:
0:00 - Intro
0:53 - Background
3:09 - Study Procedure
5:30 - Study Results
6:09 - Acceleration Effects
7:53 - Speed Effects
8:59 - Wrap Up

As always, I look forward to your feedback, comments, questions, complaints, and requests.

Enjoy!

hurricane145

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you Dr. Dave.
It incidentally comes to mind that you have a very good voice for commentary. You are clear and articulate, no stumbling over words or repeating what you said earlier, no "ummm" or "uhhh". It is like you were a professional commentator at one time.
It is not always the content but how it is presented that is important. You get high marks in both categories.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thank you Dr. Dave.
It incidentally comes to mind that you have a very good voice for commentary. You are clear and articulate, no stumbling over words or repeating what you said earlier, no "ummm" or "uhhh". It is like you were a professional commentator at one time.

Thanks. It probably helps that I was a university professor for 30 years!

It is not always the content but how it is presented that is important. You get high marks in both categories.

Thanks again. I appreciate the positive feedback. This video was fun to create, especially with Pubo doing all the hard work.

tomatoshooter

Thanks for the video. On the tip contact time plots, I noticed that there was a lot of variation in contact time near the middle of the graph. Do you know what caused this?

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the video.

You're welcome.

On the tip contact time plots, I noticed that there was a lot of variation in contact time near the middle of the graph. Do you know what caused this?

This is probably a better question for @Pubo to answer.

I also thought that was more variation than should be expected, but the overall trend is still clear.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
So, it's all about contact point on the cue ball and cue speed at impact. Same as a hunting rifle bullet...assuming bullet weight is the same, the faster travelling bullet delivers more foot pounds of energy at impact....as the faster cue speed results in more draw distance. Got it..and thanks!

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
So, it's all about contact point on the cue ball and cue speed at impact.

Yep.

Same as a hunting rifle bullet...assuming bullet weight is the same, the faster travelling bullet delivers more foot pounds of energy at impact....as the faster cue speed results in more draw distance. Got it..and thanks!

You're welcome.