Drug Testing at the Mosconi Cup

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A friend of mine asked this question today.

I said "I have no idea, but I'll find out."

So, is there drug testing of the players at the Mosconi Cup?

Thanks

John

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
While I don't know for sure, I don't think so.

The Mosconi Cup is an independent event, not a WPA sanctioned event and may not be subject to the WADA drug testing guidelines, which were discussed at length on the forum during the Mario He incident leading up to the 2018 Mosconi.

Austrian Mario He, who had qualified for Team Europe in the 2018 Mosconi Cup, had been found to be in violation of WADA rules, which apply to the WPA sanctioned Eurotour. and faced a suspension. It should be remembered that Matchroom did not move, in any way, to disallow Mario's participation in the 2018 Mosconi Cup, but Mario chose to disqualify himself.

Others on the forum may have a deeper understanding of this subject than me, and perhaps they will chime in with their thoughts.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just prior to last year’s Mosconi Cup Mario He withdrew because he failed a drug test. It wasn’t done at the Mosconi Cup itself, but about a month prior to it.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
A friend of mine asked this question today.

I said "I have no idea, but I'll find out."

So, is there drug testing of the players at the Mosconi Cup?

Thanks

John
I believe that the WPA is required to conduct 30 tests per year in WPA-sanctioned events. The Mosconi Cup is a WPA-sanctioned event. I think the tests are random and unannounced.

You may recall that for the 2018 Mosconi Cup one player who was scheduled to be there apparently failed a test some time before (on the Euro Tour?) and withdrew from the MC while the case was being resolved.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can see why they would test for performance enhancing drugs.....
But why do they also test for performance degrading drugs?

And why are coffee and Tea not considered performance enhancing?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
According to the WPA web site, the Mosconi Cup is a WPA ranking event.

I couldn’t see the Mosconi on their ranking list, but was surprised to see the Turning Stone.

They also have a disclaimer
“Only players with a valid WPA player’s license are eligible for WPA ranking points.”
...so they can’t test just anybody at the Stone...gotta have a WPA card.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can see why they would test for performance enhancing drugs.....
But why do they also test for performance degrading drugs?

And why are coffee and Tea not considered performance enhancing?

Substance are banned for a number of reasons, not just to prevent positive benefits.

And caffeine is certainly on Wada list, but it is only prohibited at/ above a specific blood concentration value (which, I believe to be true of most rx drugs). I believe the concentration level for caffeine is above what one could reasonably ingest through drink though...

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And here is your Wada reference:
https://www.wada-ama.org/en/content/what-is-prohibited

You'll note some prohibitions at 'at any time', some are'in competition's and some are sport-specific.

I also see: between 1984-2004, the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) banned high concentrations of caffeine from all Olympic events. ... According to a WADA spokesperson, the organization determined that caffeine no longer met at least two of three criteria for inclusion on the prohibited list.Feb 12, 2018

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
And here is your Wada reference:
https://www.wada-ama.org/en/content/what-is-prohibited

You'll note some prohibitions at 'at any time', some are 'in competition' and some are sport-specific.

I also see: between 1984-2004, the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) banned high concentrations of caffeine from all Olympic events. ... According to a WADA spokesperson, the organization determined that caffeine no longer met at least two of three criteria for inclusion on the prohibited list.Feb 12, 2018

From the link:

* Bupropion, caffeine, nicotine, phenylephrine, phenylpropanolamine, pipradrol, and synephrine: These substances are included in the 2020 Monitoring Program, and are not considered Prohibited Substances.​

Where's that guy who was coming down on the Red Bull junkies like a rabid weasel? Gone like the spring clover.;) And pass me that Havana.:groucho: