Dumbest thing you’ve done in a match?

Guy Manges

Registered
To be different I'll share something my buddy did during a 9 ball tournament a couple of years ago.

7-8-9 on the table. The 9 ball was where you rack it and the cue ball was frozen to the back of it, hooking him from the 7. He couldn't make an easy kick because the 8 was blocking most of the kick lanes, about 6" from the cue ball.

In a moment of 'brilliance' he decided to shoot the 8 ball in illegally, so that it would spot up next to the 9 ball, creating a cluster his opponent would have to deal with. Unfortunately illegally balls pocketed in 9 ball don't spot up. That only applies on a push out when pocketing the 9 ball.

So his opponent grabbed the cue ball and tapped in the 7 and 9 for an easy win. I thought it was hilareous. My friend didn't find the humor at the moment but I'm sure he'll come around... :)
Shooting and spoting have made many things happen in our games, its been thought as legal both ways... I know it can be fun to work your way around a table shooting spot shots... Last pocket 8 Ball it sure comes in handy... Could be good practice for shootouts... ha ha ... Guy

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well, sometimes we get lucky! Keith had annoyed me chirping at me a couple nights before when I had been poking balls around with a beautiful lady in Greenway. I came back a couple nights later without the lady and with $3500 in my pocket, enough to buy a nice car at the time. I was loaded up to play five hundred a game, a thousand if that was what he wanted! Fortunately he wasn't there and couldn't be ran down. That $3500 was my total cash on hand at the time.

I knew if I started typing I would think of something dumber! I had a sales agreement for a piece of commercial property I owned. A gambling acquaintance was a wholesale and retail distributer of recreational pharmaceuticals. He wanted to try one game of eight ball on a bar table for high stakes. The amount happened to be the amount of my sale, upper five figures. A lady I spent some time with lived a few doors down from him and must have mentioned it. I was a little annoyed at her mouth but I hadn't told her not to say anything to anyone. Anyway, my side was probably covered. He had accidentally left a door open a month or two before and I had seen his kitchen table buried in hundred dollar bills stacked a foot high so I knew he made a big deal now and then, plenty big enough to cover the bet many times over. If I caught him in front of his running buddies with the cash on hand pride and ego would force him to toss it over like toilet paper.

OK, I could get paid. Could I beat him? We were lagging for the break. If I lost the lag I figured I was still at least 55-45 favorite. If I won the break I was going to break safe and I figured my odds at more like 75-25. If he didn't rebreak to create an open table I figured I had him. I was also young and cocky and figured if I made that much legally in the last five years I could make more than that in the next five so I was betting three to five years more than cash in my mind.

I won the lag and after twenty minutes or more the game. Either of us could run out from the break so neither wanted to give the other a start. The most cagily played eight ball game ever in my life. I knew he was getting large sums from home a few times a year and would be due to make a big buy in a few months so I was just bidding my time. I saw him around most nights and had tabs on him through his neighbor also. I went in one night and my girlfriend was all excited. "Did you hear about Jeff?" Three men in black suits had came banging on his door, loudly enough to get her attention. Got his attention too. He got word through associates and didn't bother passing by his apartment for his toothbrush, he was gone. Nobody heard from him again. Never saw the men in black either. Were they Fed's as believed or did he cross the wrong people and go swim with the fishees?

I don't know what happened to Jeff. I do know I risked five years hard work to get an air barrel! Hard to top that as the dumbest thing I have done on a pool table.

Hu

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I knew if I started typing I would think of something dumber! I had a sales agreement for a piece of commercial property I owned. A gambling acquaintance was a wholesale and retail distributer of recreational pharmaceuticals. He wanted to try one game of eight ball on a bar table for high stakes.

Hu
i have never seen that line of work described that way..... 😂 😂

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
YEARS ago we were playing partners 1p. One game was taking forever so we took a short break. Me and my pahdner went out for a little 'tune up' and when we came back in i was SOOOO high i shot the other guy's case ball straight into their pocket. We laughed about that for days. Luckily the bet wasn't real big otherwise it would have been really brutal. ;)
Screenshot_20220616-134945.jpg
Screenshot_20220616-134848__01.jpg
Screenshot_20220616-135025.jpg

Broke down my cue after missing a random shot during a hill hill league 8 ball game because I was so disappointed in myself. Opponent makes 2 balls then misses, I begrudgingly put my cue back together to win the match. Shook hands and stopped playing league the following year (for a separate reason.)

Last edited:

eg9327

How about most recent…. Tuesday I called my 92 year old tournament opponent wearing white knee high compression sox “OLD”.

I did not know he was a state champion and high roller back in the day. In four games I got to the table twice and only made three balls, afterwards he laughed and said he was not that old.

My brother and I are in our 70s and play league pool. I find it funny that young people don't like to play us because "the old people have too many rules". Plus we typically kick their butts.

TrxR

Broke down my cue after missing a random shot during a hill hill league 8 ball game because I was so disappointed in myself. Opponent makes 2 balls then misses, I begrudgingly put my cue back together to win the match. Shook hands and stopped playing league the following year.
In some leagues/ tournaments breaking down your cue before the game is over means you concede the game.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
My brother and I are in our 70s and play league pool. I find it funny that young people don't like to play us because "the old people have too many rules". Plus we typically kick their butts.
............................ 😱

old man tee shirt.png

eg9327

Playing a veteran player once I chose to play a tough combination. Intermediate ball was the 1. After about a minute of studying I bent down and stroked the 1 like a cue ball. Some young girl immediately hollered "He just stroked the 1. Everybody laughed, including me.

In some leagues/ tournaments breaking down your cue before the game is over means you concede the game.
This was APA so I'm not sure if they have a rule like that specifically. I would've conceded in a heartbeat had it been brought up that night.

surffisher2a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dumbest thing I did so far, playing double jeopardy APA (both 8 ball and 9 ball in the same night) so the team was split between 3 tables. Only have 5 players that night and i was doing all the timeouts (2 brand new players as well). So i was playing a pretty good player ( both 6s) in 8 ball and left then hooked on the rail directly behind my ball. Didn't think there was any chance of them being able to make a legal hit, so I walked away from the table and went to give another time out (I was also trying to keep score of another 8 ball match going on). So I come back to the table with my opponent sitting in their seat and the balls pretty much in the position I expected them to be in. So I get down shoot what I thought was my next ball and the team playing next to me said Why did you just shoot on our table????? Then my opponent said this is our table, I ran out and then just put all the balls down (which made sense because the coin-op wasn't working right unless it was full). Turns out the players on the other team went out to smoke in the middle of their match. So in my absent mindedness I shot on the wrong table. I still don't believe my opponent even made a legal shot let alone ran out, but that is besides the point.

• Wow
Reactions: bbb

surffisher2a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This was APA so I'm not sure if they have a rule like that specifically. I would've conceded in a heartbeat had it been brought up that night.

APA does have that rule, but the rule book specifically states that it must be a deliberate sharking attempt and the other player must call it immediately.

I had someone once try to call that on me when I put my break stick away. I was on the hill and broke dry and walked away from the table. Three tables away with two seating bar top tables between us, I broke down my break stick and put it in my bag. A couple shots later this person missed a shot and then one of his teammates told me that it didn't matter because his player already won because I put my break cue away. The person playing didn't even notice I put it away.

Glad I had a copy of the rule book with me that night.

chuckg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was playing some cheap 1 hole today and forgot rule # 1....Know the ball count. I nearly lost because of shooting a 2 railer when I only need 1 ball to win and it was a very easy one .

Triggerhippy

Registered
I once was playing in a scotch doubles 8-ball tournament. We’d made it to the final match, it was hill-hill, and my partner left me tough on our last ball before the eight. I get down on the shot, concentrating fiercely, drain it and get perfect on the eight ball. I was so pleased with myself I fired the eight right in the hole.