Dynamite rates the Americans

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Darren seems like a very cool guy.

He keeps it real but in a tactful manner.

He also genuinely seems to care about people and wants to help when he can. That is how he strikes me with his friends like Karl or Jayson and now Shane and other people also.

And on top of being a great guy he is of course a great competitor too.

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

He also genuinely seems to care about people and wants to help when he can. That is how he strikes me with his friends like Karl or Jayson and now Shane and other people also.

He is one of the most personable pros I've seen. I've asked a couple questions on facebook on his posts and his answers were great and tactful where some other pros seem somewhat condescending.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member

Ditto. He really seems like a good guy, and contrary to what I had previously thought, away from the table even Karl seems like he might be a pretty good guy.
Smart too, no bill board material there, total vanilla. What I really wanted him to say was something like this:
What a bunch of wankers, I'll be surprised if they don't cry and quit by first days end.
Oh well..... maybe if they were in London
I do think that if he's going to live here he should be excluded from Team Europe and maybe have to play for someone else, just sayin'....

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Probably the best analysis of our team I think we'll see. Very insightful and I think accurate. His Shane analysis is especially good--I think Shane playing the role of sole gray beard on the team will bring out the monster in his game...and everyone else will fall in line. That and I think he's playing his best game ever at the moment.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Let's face it, the US team has five question marks on it.

Van Boening
Which Shane will we get --- a) the one that came 25th in the US Open and 25th in the Steinway Classic the week afterwards, b) the one that we got in the 2014 Mosconi, c) the guy who won the World Pool Masters, or d) the guy that just won bronze at the All-Japan Championships a couple of weeks ago. Which Shane will we get?

Dechaine
Mike had a fairly forgettable first half of 2015 (some suggest his being on a reality show may have contributed to this, but who really knows) but a fine second half, which included 9th at the World 9-ball championships, a 21-20 over SVB in their exhibition 10-ball match in September, a win over a supertough field at Gotham, second at the Texas Tornado 10-ball, and an impressive 2nd at Turning Stone. Which Mike will we get?

Bergman and Deuel
Neither was having a great year in 2015, but these two recently found their best form of the year, and if we get their recent form at the Mosconi, we'll be in good shape. Which Justin will we get? Which Corey will we get?

Woodward
The real wild card. A risque, but admirable, pick by Coach Wilson, especially given that Rodney Morris finished the year so strong. Skyler has shown he can beat some big names in big spots, with a win over Dechaine at the Derby City 9-ball en route to a top ten finish and a win over YL Chang at the US Open. Will inexperience hurt him? It might, but maybe we'll get the best of Skyler. Which Skyler will show up?

It should be interesting, but at very least Team USA will feature two of the top 10 from the World 9-ball championships for the first time in many years.

If you asked me who's the biggest question mark on this team, I'd say SVB, who hasn't won a singles match at the Mosconi since 2012.

Good luck to Team Question Mark.

Last edited:

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
Darren is a passionate player on the table and a fun guy to be around off of the table. Glad to know him and hope he is around with success in pool for a long time.

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
Darren brings up an interesting point, which Stu already mentioned partly in Shane's losing record in singles: Darren is always capable of digging deep and playing his A game against Shane and I don't think Darren is the only one as Shane is the man to beat in team America. It's tough to win matches if you are struggling a bit and your opponents are playing stellar. On the other hand Darren has not been in top form lately and Shane has polished his armor in 2015 international tournaments. Considering the fact that there is only one rookie in team America and I'm not sure of the entire team Europe can perform 100% plus the venue is in Vegas, I'd say team Europe is the marginal underdog this year.

Personally I'd love to see Mika playing for team Europe. Go Europe! :cool:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... If you asked me who's the biggest question mark on this team, I'd say SVB, who hasn't won a singles match at the Mosconi since 2012. ...

Maybe his success at the Kings Cup augers well for his performance at the Mosconi Cup. Shane was 2-0 in singles (Bustamante and Ko Pin-Yi) and had the highest overall numerical contribution to Team West's 10-8 win.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone know what Darren is talking about when he refers to Mike's "famous meltdown in London" at the 2012 Mosconi Cup? I know the US lost a close one, and Mike didn't play great, but what was the meltdown?

Also, I love the underhanded complement he gives Mike with "Mike is a very good shot maker and very confident and very vocal." lol That's how I'd describe some local league bangers who like to shoot but are cocky a$$holes.

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
While I agree with you, Mika is practically American, he's been living here longer than any other European.

Yeah, but Mika would never represent team America. Just ask him :)

It's not where your mailbox is, but where your heart is.

Zphix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not to hijack the thread but, does anybody know if the Mosconi Cup will be airing on Comcast anywhere? If not I think the Matchroom is streaming it online, right? If I've got no access to it then I suppose I can watch it on YouTube because Genipool will probably be recording the matches.

But, is Comcast going to be running the MC on any channel?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Maybe his success at the Kings Cup augers well for his performance at the Mosconi Cup. Shane was 2-0 in singles (Bustamante and Ko Pin-Yi) and had the highest overall numerical contribution to Team West's 10-8 win.

Great point. My cheering should help, too. Go SVB!

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not to hijack the thread but, does anybody know if the Mosconi Cup will be airing on Comcast anywhere? If not I think the Matchroom is streaming it online, right? If I've got no access to it then I suppose I can watch it on YouTube because Genipool will probably be recording the matches.

It is safe to say with 100% certainty that it will not be on Comcast, unless you are referring to their internet service.

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Last year it was on ESPN 3 (via internet), but the didn't list it until right before the cup.