Dynasphere Bronze balls......$100

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So that led me to find this lovely Chinese "tribute" to some sets, down to the box design

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just saw this on Ebay. These are the traditional version. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dynasphere...d=link&campid=5335988529&toolid=20001&mkevt=1 Great seller, btw. Done biz with him before.

Thank you, I think! You may be an enabler helping feed an addiction. I just gave away a new set of balls because five sets and one table seemed like a bit much. Been wanting a set of the traditional colored balls though and when you said it was a great seller I pulled the trigger. Mine are due here in a week.

Hu

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I'll never understand some peoples unquenchable thirst for Chinese garbage. If you have a home table, a quality Aramith set will last decades. My Aramith tournament set was I think one of the very first sets sold in my country with the measle ball and tv-colours. I still have it and it's still great (though I'm not really a fan of the measle ball, I got used to it). It's almost 20 years old, and sure it cost money, but divide it over 20 years and the cost is nothing. I clean the balls by hand, and don't really polish them in a machine, and as a result the wear is not noticable at all. Had I played more 9 ball, I guess maybe I'd have to change it sooner, but still it would last many, many years. And I could always get replacements for the set if the one or the cueball got worn.

But by all means, buy Chinese copied junk, with design stolen from other peoples hard work, and manufactured by slaves in horrible conditions. Seriously, people wonder why the Chinese have all the manufacturing jobs now? They dont' pay their workers, they steal designs and people applaud them and buy their shit. Nobody would put up with Aramith coming out with balls that don't even roll straight and split in the middle like cheap jeans. Cyclop does it, and everyone leaps to their defense. Those Yanmeia balls are even worse, but I guess, as long as they’re cheap and approximately round, someone will buy them. They're made from polyester for Gods sake. Polyester balls play light and like garbage. If you're any kind of player at all, you'll notice the difference fairly quickly. Many people on this forum play every day. For a player like this, the difference will be instantly noticed. Going back and forth from such a set to Aramith tournaments is eye-opening to say the least.

Last edited:

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll never understand some peoples unquenchable thirst for Chinese garbage.
Aesthetics aside, the dynaspheres are every bit as good as the duramith balls, and better than centennials. Granted, they're not the best looking balls, but if all you're looking for is performance they can't be beat for the price. I have hundreds of hours on my set, and I have no complaints whatsoever. Don't miss my old centennials at all.

9ball5032

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got my Dynasphere Tungstens in August 2020 for my home table. They still look brand new.

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
\I'll never understand some peoples unquenchable thirst for Chinese garbage. If you have a home table, a quality Aramith set will last decades. My Aramith tournament set was I think one of the very first sets sold in my country with the measle ball and tv-colours. I still have it and it's still great (though I'm not really a fan of the measle ball, I got used to it). It's almost 20 years old, and sure it cost money, but divide it over 20 years and the cost is nothing. I clean the balls by hand, and don't really polish them in a machine, and as a result the wear is not noticable at all. Had I played more 9 ball, I guess maybe I'd have to change it sooner, but still it would last many, many years. And I could always get replacements for the set if the one or the cueball got worn.

But by all means, buy Chinese copied junk, with design stolen from other peoples hard work, and manufactured by slaves in horrible conditions. Seriously, people wonder why the Chinese have all the manufacturing jobs now? They dont' pay their workers, they steal designs and people applaud them and buy their shit. Nobody would put up with Aramith coming out with balls that don't even roll straight and split in the middle like cheap jeans. Cyclop does it, and everyone leaps to their defense. Those Yanmeia balls are even worse, but I guess, as long as they’re cheap and approximately round, someone will buy them. They're made from polyester for Gods sake. Polyester balls play light and like garbage. If you're any kind of player at all, you'll notice the difference fairly quickly. Many people on this forum play every day. For a player like this, the difference will be instantly noticed. Going back and forth from such a set to Aramith tournaments is eye-opening to say the least.

You have a point. It would be a much stronger point if the Aramith and Centennial balls weren't made in Belgium and the Dynaspheres made in china with close Belgium oversight. It's a lot like American companies having things built all over the world. I had an old Bridgeport knee mill. Great machine, made in the USA. The same mill was now eighteen thousand dollars when I considered a new one years ago. The knock-off Jet mill was forty-five hundred. The kicker was that the new Bridgeport was made in Taiwan, same place as the Jet. I do try to support US made and avoid chinese made as much as possible. Looks to me like if I buy Aramith or buy Dynasphere the money is still going to Belgium though. As far as quality, every second set of Dynaspheres is tested in china, every fifth set in Belgium. Technology - Dyna|spheres™

Saluc is a Belgian speciality manufacturing company. Founded in 1923, they are best known for their Aramith brand billiard balls, and are the manufacturer under license of the Brunswick Centennial pool ball line.

Hu

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll never understand some peoples unquenchable thirst for Chinese garbage. If you have a home table, a quality Aramith set will last decades. My Aramith tournament set was I think one of the very first sets sold in my country with the measle ball and tv-colours. I still have it and it's still great (though I'm not really a fan of the measle ball, I got used to it). It's almost 20 years old, and sure it cost money, but divide it over 20 years and the cost is nothing. I clean the balls by hand, and don't really polish them in a machine, and as a result the wear is not noticable at all. Had I played more 9 ball, I guess maybe I'd have to change it sooner, but still it would last many, many years. And I could always get replacements for the set if the one or the cueball got worn.

NO Dynasphere balls are polyester. Also, who's to say that Saluc didn't have any issues when they first started way back when. We don't know but i would bet that they had some issues early on. I haven't heard of any issues with XinBing made balls after the first year or so. Have no clue who makes those Yanmeia balls.

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have no clue who makes those Yanmeia balls.
I almost pulled the trigger on those before I found the dynasphere tungstens. In my head I kept reading "Yanmeia" as "Buyer's Remorse". There's nothing I hate worse than being suckered, and I just couldn't take the chance. The pics look good, but if I was a scam outfit I'm sure my pics would have been of genuine Cyclop balls in my knockoff box. The other side of the coin had me thinking they might have been made in the same factory on the "after hours" shift, and identical to the skittles balls I really wanted but couldn't find anymore.

It's tough to know what shady stuff to trust... :p

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
NO Dynasphere balls are polyester. Also, who's to say that Saluc didn't have any issues when they first started way back when. We don't know but i would bet that they had some issues early on. I haven't heard of any issues with XinBing made balls after the first year or so. Have no clue who makes those Yanmeia balls.
I was referring to the Yanmeia balls where they specify polyester resin.

Regarding the Dynasphere/Cyclop balls, I'd love to see a cross section cut of the cracked ones to confirm my hypothesis. I believe there must be some kind of air-bubbles in the phenolic, which would explain the roll off and tendency to crack. I have no way to confirm this, and I'm certainly not going to buy expensive sets to break them. Anyway, you are free to enjoy these balls, but I'll stick to good old Aramith.

Hoser

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I purchased these for $130. 00 from another company and prefer them to my aramith and centennials. Of course, like most pool accessories your experience is subjective. I like mine.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.

I get what you're saying, but how is Cyclop or Dynaspheres copying Aramith? It's a different design and different colors. If they were somehow infringing on some secret formula, surely we would have seen a lawsuit by now?

Cyclop had problems in the beginning, then they fixed the problem. I bought a set of the later "fixed" balls, that were just as expensive as Aramith balls, so it wasn't a case of being cheap. I liked the colors and I liked the "money balls" that were included as was an extra cue ball. Sure, it might be childish, but it's fun ribbing your buddies about a money ball, and makes for some fun table banter. There's nothing wrong with the balls. They stay amazingly clean, I've had them for a year and put a hell of a lot of use on them, and other than an occasional wipe down with a microfiber cloth, they have required zero polishing and look damn near new.

Dynaspheres are supposed to be great balls, with top tier tolerances and material for even their $60 set. I get liking Aramith, they are great balls and sponsor the sport, but I don't get the hate for high quality balls that happen to come from another maker. They might be Chinese, but they are not shit quality. If there were a high quality set made in the US, I can see buying them to support where I come from, but there's not.

I actually wanted to purchase a set of Aramith Black, as I liked the unique look, but they have a damn pink 4, which I hate. Pink 4 but light purple 5? C'mon now, make the 4 purple and the 5 pink if orange is a problem! :p

I don't know man, not knocking Aramith in any way, I'll probably eventually get a set just for gear acquisition syndrome, but I'm entirely happy with the Cyclop Hyperion and don't see them having any quality issues. They feel great and play great.

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
I get what you're saying, but how is Cyclop or Dynaspheres copying Aramith? It's a different design and different colors. If they were somehow infringing on some secret formula, surely we would have seen a lawsuit by now?

Cyclop had problems in the beginning, then they fixed the problem. I bought a set of the later "fixed" balls, that were just as expensive as Aramith balls, so it wasn't a case of being cheap. I liked the colors and I liked the "money balls" that were included as was an extra cue ball. Sure, it might be childish, but it's fun ribbing your buddies about a money ball, and makes for some fun table banter. There's nothing wrong with the balls. They stay amazingly clean, I've had them for a year and put a hell of a lot of use on them, and other than an occasional wipe down with a microfiber cloth, they have required zero polishing and look damn near new.

Dynaspheres are supposed to be great balls, with top tier tolerances and material for even their $60 set. I get liking Aramith, they are great balls and sponsor the sport, but I don't get the hate for high quality balls that happen to come from another maker. They might be Chinese, but they are not shit quality. If there were a high quality set made in the US, I can see buying them to support where I come from, but there's not.

I actually wanted to purchase a set of Aramith Black, as I liked the unique look, but they have a damn pink 4, which I hate. Pink 4 but light purple 5? C'mon now, make the 4 purple and the 5 pink if orange is a problem! :p

I don't know man, not knocking Aramith in any way, I'll probably eventually get a set just for gear acquisition syndrome, but I'm entirely happy with the Cyclop Hyperion and don't see them having any quality issues. They feel great and play great.

One thing not brought up is that Dynasphere is a much newer operation than Saloc I believe. They claim tighter tolerances and better manufacturing controls and it is probably true. One reason the japanese got a big jump on us after WWII is that we rebuilt their steel industry with up to date technology while US steel mills were for the most part fifty years old or older.

The tolerances we routinely cut to on machinery were almost unheard of even fifty years ago. Even modern "cheap" machinery is designed to tighter tolerances than older machinery. Progress moves on. While I still think old US Meehanite kicks butt on the steel in all of the low and midrange machinery today, it isn't because they can't match and surpass old school Meehanite, they aren't willing to go to the expense to.

I bought my first set of Dynasphere balls because they claimed to be made in Belgium. Probably wouldn't have bought them had I known they were made in china. I have bought three more sets because of price and quality. I hated the goofy looking rotary thing on the top end european balls but I see that the kick back from the US must have been big enough that we got circles for our top end balls.

I believe that china is our enemy in all aspects except open warfare. Seems odd that we had no sooner bailed them out in WWII than we were fighting them in korea and nam. I don't support them widespread but I know every one of our computers, cars, and high tech machines has chinese components in them. I probably buy less chinese than most but when I find out that even produce, milk, and fish are coming from china it makes it hard, especially when labeling laws to know what we are buying are overturned.

Leaving politics out of the equation, Dynasphere may be the best balls money can buy. Not much sense in buying from belgium who in truth I like only slightly better than china! However, unless I start raising elephants looks like I am going to use foreign made balls. A few fun facts, one tusk only yielded a few billiard balls, most of a tusk isn't suitable to make billiard balls out of and even then they are not advised to be hit as hard as possible. At one or two tusks per three billiard balls we were going through a lot of elephants for our game! I read that humidity cracks them, I had thought it would be just the opposite. Also, synthetic plastic was invented due to a $10,000 prize being put up for the invention of a manmade product that could replace billiard balls. The ball makers had a social conscious! $10,000 was serious duckies back then. The early synthetic, the one credited to be the first invented, had a minor problem. It was unstable and sometimes exploded when hit. Not just came apart but literally exploded like gun powder! Not ideal. Bakelite was the early solution that worked reasonably well.

While it would have no doubt have been invented sooner or later, billiards and pool was the direct cause of synthetic plastic being invented. A kind of neat bit of trivia. Was it Paul Harvey who always finished with, "And now you know the rest of the story!"

Hu

Hoser

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I grew up in the rust belt, I try to buy American ,support small local business etc.. Mom worked for GM 40 years and I try to support her pension. Bought her a Buick Encore then realized it was built in Korea. Most everyday items cannot be purchased made in the US. I did find a washer/dryer made in US, commercial duty, analog controls, 3-year warrantee "Speed Queen" from Wisconsin. It was the only U.S. washer in the store.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just think a lot of people don't grasp how BIG pool is in China. Tens of millions play on a daily basis. There are a LOT of equipment manuf. producing tables, cues, balls, access., etc. Quality ranges from pure shit to world class. From what i've seen/read so far Dynasphere balls look to be in the latter category. Time will tell as always but for the money they look to be worth trying.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aesthetics aside, the dynaspheres are every bit as good as the duramith balls, and better than centennials. Granted, they're not the best looking balls, but if all you're looking for is performance they can't be beat for the price. I have hundreds of hours on my set, and I have no complaints whatsoever. Don't miss my old centennials at all.

Yea but those are the high end Platinum sets that cost about $300. They are great sets (the high end ones I tried) but for the price that is standard.
I don't mind the design on them at all, although I wish the manufacturers would stop f-ing around with the colors just to make them different.
If they made them say $200 and comparable to the Pro set or the Tournament set, that would be something. It's like comparing a $40,000 BMW to a $40,000 Infinity, sure the BMW is the original but is it really odd that a $40,000 car made to be like the BMW is also good? Now make that other car $30,000 then it's something worthy, otherwise why not just get the original and get the handling that others try to copy.

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yea but those are the high end Platinum sets that cost about $300. They are great sets (the high end ones I tried) but for the price that is standard.
I don't mind the design on them at all, although I wish the manufacturers would stop f-ing around with the colors just to make them different.
If they made them say $200 and comparable to the Pro set or the Tournament set, that would be something. It's like comparing a $40,000 BMW to a $40,000 Infinity, sure the BMW is the original but is it really odd that a $40,000 car made to be like the BMW is also good? Now make that other car $30,000 then it's something worthy, otherwise why not just get the original and get the handling that others try to copy.
All Dynasphere balls use the same resin. I got the tungsten set for $70. Same quality as their top tier balls, just lacking in appearance.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m not a fan of the Dynasphere platinum balls I see they are using at the junior international tournament this weekend. I find the shape around the numbers to be tackier than the predator logo pool ball sets.

Also, the colors are really strange and hard to follow when watching a livestream match. I’m sure if they are for me, they are for others as well. The 6-ball appears to be a light brownish color and the 7-ball appears to be a coral green color - makes absolutely no sense!