Dynasphere Bronze balls......$100

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The higher end stuff is not made the same though. It's the same base material, but the machining added to each step adds a ton of time needed. It's not only the time though. Each machining process introduces an area where a mistake may be made, and the whole ball needs to be scrapped. The cost of this needs to be factored in. Companies like Aramith do this as well, but you don't notice it because they artificially choose to make their lower end balls with inferior material.

For example, say one in every fifty tungsten balls needs to be rejected due to machining errors. Because of all the extra machining time the top end balls need, that number might be one in five. Not only are you losing ten times as many high end balls, but those balls are ten times as costly to make.

Looking at it this way, their price structure seems in line. Once they get established I wouldn't be surprised to see them drop their lower tier balls entirely. I'd imagine they are just using them to build their reputation and show their quality to as many early-adopters as possible.

Edit: I would even bet that the terrible colors of the tungsten set were selected to make them less desirable. Intentionally handicapping their lowest end offerings like aramith does, but keeping the top tier performance.

Putting more work in making them look different, for something that relies very little on looks to sell is what my issue with the pricing is.

Sure it may be more expensive to make the higher set, but what's the point? When was the last time anyone picked out a set of balls due to looks for over 4 times the price over one that is constructed the same? We are talking $60 vs $330 here, not 60 and 80 or two sets for the same price that look different.

For the pricing I am pretty sure it will go up, it happened with the Players PureX/HXT line and it happened with Aramith and Centennial sets that went up like $100 seemingly overnight. Which is why I'm inclined to order a second set now, or maybe the Bronze set for $100.

I like the colors of the low end set, I just don't like the fact they are so different from the standard pool ball colors. The shades they used and how they look in general as a set is very nice, and they get a lot of attention from others.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Putting more work in making them look different, for something that relies very little on looks to sell is what my issue with the pricing is.
Mistaken think ing. Obviously you are not in marketing. A certain class is willing to pay incredible prices for looks. It lets everyone see how wealthy they are. What’s the fun of being rich if nobody knows.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Staying with the tungsten set helps stay under the radar. Here in Dolan Springs (otherwise known as Stollen Things) that is the way to roll. A Mercedes left on the highway for 1 hour was broken into using the jack it was on. Poor people had to go home and get their Hummer.

cjr3559

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like the Platinum Dynaspheres come in the traditional colors too. In China.

chenjy9

You said you did not find it odd that a $100 set of balls was the same quality as a $300 one due to the design. I don't see how a pool ball set can be marketed at three times the price of another form the same maker if the quality is the same on both. It's way more than paying "a little more".

The quality in pool balls vs price does not really follow the same thing as cues which are often sold by the design as much as the construction quality.

It seems you are saying if set A was 100 and set B was 300 but you liked how B looked better you can justify the huge increase in price based on looks alone? I just don't see how such a huge price difference can be only due to the design of the set vs material and quality control steps.

The Tungsten set is under $60, Bronze is $100, the Silver is $170, the Platinum are $330, there is no way they are all the same quality or construction. You seem to be saying that if they are all the same quality the $330 set is justified that on looks? If the other poster(s) are correct and they are indeed all made the same, you can get the same quality as the $330 top end set for $60. That is pretty much unheard of. With any other pool ball maker there is a clear difference even between their $100 and $150-200 sets and another clear step from 150 to the 250-300 sets.

I am curious, how is this any different than a cue with fancy smancy inlays/points costing easily a thousand more than its much cheaper Merry Widow variant that offers the same shaft and performance?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am curious, how is this any different than a cue with fancy smancy inlays/points costing easily a thousand more than its much cheaper Merry Widow variant that offers the same shaft and performance?
Its not any different.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After a bit of playing with them, both the Tungsten and the Bronze set I have been using still play great, but the cueball, like the cueball in the Cyclop set, picks up chalk marks a lot more than the Aramith cueballs do. After a few hours of playing I need to scrape off marks that are stuck on the cueball. The finish on them does not seem to be as hard/dense as the Aramiths. They rebound nice, have a good weight feel to them and are still the best set for under $200 but it may be wise to swap out the cueball for a measle or something.

chenjy9

I got a set of tungstens to use as practice and for the less skilled/intelligent types of friends to bang on and I have to admit, I am really impressed by the quality of them considering I spent $70 on them.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
After a bit of playing with them, both the Tungsten and the Bronze set I have been using still play great, but the cueball, like the cueball in the Cyclop set, picks up chalk marks a lot more than the Aramith cueballs do. After a few hours of playing I need to scrape off marks that are stuck on the cueball. The finish on them does not seem to be as hard/dense as the Aramiths. They rebound nice, have a good weight feel to them and are still the best set for under $200 but it may be wise to swap out the cueball for a measle or something.

My cue ball from the tungsten set is pretty marred up from my phenolic break and jump tips. Those little gouges catch chalk. My aramith cue balls don't stay perfect either, but I agree the finish on the tungsten cue ball isn't as good as the aramith.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seriously? What kind of chalk do you use? All cueballs pick up some chalk, a lot if you use the funky 'lipstik' chalks. Some of you guys crack me up with tales of having 'guest' ball sets. Like 'less skilled/uninteligent(???????)' players might damage them. EVER been in a poolhall?????? Those balls take more abuse than you can imagine and last for YEARS. BTW, RH on the Dyna's is 57+. That's REALLY hard. I doubt anyone is going to any more damage to these than with Aramith balls.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Seriously? What kind of chalk do you use? All cueballs pick up some chalk, a lot if you use the funky 'lipstik' chalks. Some of you guys crack me up with tales of having 'guest' ball sets. Like 'less skilled/uninteligent(???????)' players might damage them. EVER been in a poolhall?????? Those balls take more abuse than you can imagine and last for YEARS. BTW, RH on the Dyna's is 57+. That's REALLY hard. I doubt anyone is going to any more damage to these than with Aramith balls.
Just out of curiosity, are you selling these balls?

Rocket354

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My cue ball from the tungsten set is pretty marred up from my phenolic break and jump tips. Those little gouges catch chalk. My aramith cue balls don't stay perfect either, but I agree the finish on the tungsten cue ball isn't as good as the aramith.
I got a finish ding in one of my Bronze object balls. I don't even use phenolic tips, and don't often hit an OB directly. But it still dinged.

chenjy9

I have been to a pool hall actually, in fact I used to go to them all the time. They constantly have dinged up balls and what not. I also have friends who have launched balls onto the ground and scuffed them up as well as friends who can't remember a concept as simple as chalking before each hit or slam balls like they are channeling their inner Hulk EVERY SINGLE TIME. You meet people like that when you enjoy socializing. So I buy chalk that can stay on longer as well as cheap but still fairly high quality balls, since I rather not bug them about good chalking practices or get on them for miscues.

Might be a wild concept to you, but some folks like keeping their nice things in nice condition. It's actually a compliment to the Tungstens that I like them enough to use them as my normal usage set despite their very ugly color selections in some areas.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been to a pool hall actually, in fact I used to go to them all the time. They constantly have dinged up balls and what not. I also have friends who have launched balls onto the ground and scuffed them up as well as friends who can't remember a concept as simple as chalking before each hit or slam balls like they are channeling their inner Hulk EVERY SINGLE TIME. You meet people like that when you enjoy socializing. So I buy chalk that can stay on longer as well as cheap but still fairly high quality balls, since I rather not bug them about good chalking practices or get on them for miscues.

Might be a wild concept to you, but some folks like keeping their nice things in nice condition. It's actually a compliment to the Tungstens that I like them enough to use them as my normal usage set despite their very ugly color selections in some areas.
The place i play at now still has a few sets of mid-90's vintage Centennials. Not one gouge/crack in any of them. Unless the balls bounce off concrete or are thrown against brick walls there is really no way to harm them. Not chalking or hitting them at warp speed will not harm phenolic pool balls. I have seen damaged phenolic and all had been subject to 'interactions' with either concrete floors, brick walls and even the occasional parking lot.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member

Just a suggestion, get a set of the bronze balls. Shouldn't be hard to get fifty bucks for the tungstens locally when things settle down if they are still as new. I plan to sell an unopened box of the tungsten balls after getting the bronze balls and may sell the set with a few dings too. (Mine have bounced off of concrete a few times)

I happily used the tungsten balls but when I swap to the bronze balls I realize that I like the colors a lot more, enough to sell the tungstens and get a spare set of the bronze balls. I think a hundred bucks is still quite a deal for this quality of balls.

Hu

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like your advice, Hu.

I only have a few things to add regarding the sweet Dynasphere Bronze mentioned in this thread, and as a ball set fanatic, collector and avid player, I say this from having the pleasure of owning all 5 of their sets offered here in the USA.

Here is a pic taken after approximately 50 or so racks of straight pool so all balls have about the same play:

cc103a7de3c168559b254d853b2bb4ef.jpg

Not one scuff mark, scratch or blemish (which is almost always a pocket fastener issue) and no, they have not been cleaned or polished - except the cue ball being wiped with a clean microfiber towel.

They play beautifully.
The colors are near-perfect Centennial / Aramith shades.
High phenolic.
Incredible quality.
Dynasphere is the real deal, folks.

Near flawless weight. The BEST weight tolerances I have EVER measured. And I have well over 200 sets documented

They’re simply amazing at any price.

Especially for $125

~ K.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

This is at a pool hall, so mostly Masters chalk since that is the chalk they have there. I have my personal set, and the pool hall bought a set of Tungsten and Bronze on my recommendation to try out. The harder break tips show marks on the cueball and there are chalk marks that stick to the cueball as well. We have a set of Aramiths with a measles ball that does not have the same thing happen. I am actually going to talk to the players that use the sets of balls at the pool hall and let them know not to use phenolic break tips with them.

The sets are great for the price, but at least with my experience with the two cheaper sets the cueball does not seem like it will hold up over time as well as the Aramith ones. The object balls get way less abuse so those are likely to be good for much longer so I expect their lifetime to be the same as Aramith.

I mean most of us liked the Cyclop sets, till they started cracking in half LOL

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is a partial comparison pic I snapped showing the Dynasphere Bronze in company with the Brunswick Centennial and the Aramith Tournament sets.

All have been played extensively- not museum boxed.

11388f6104b14a6f8f3ee63669a01ea8.jpg

~ K.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Which set is this one known as?
Can't find it for sale I actually like it

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-06-13-21-19-45-813.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-06-13-21-19-45-813.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 114