Eagle Eye Takes Aim at 14.1 High Runs

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah I agree with your other statement
If those guys wanted to they could have.
Probably

Shaw has shown us this now with 2 300 runs on back to back days with half a dozen 200 runs in 2 days on a table he's not even familiar with
It seems to be the case with all the players that many of their high runs have ended with a scratch on the break shot. I think that’s just the nature of this game to expect to have 20+ to 30+ consecutive rack runs without getting a bad roll on a break shot takes not only extreme skill but extreme luck as well. I guess it’s the trade-off of having forgiving pockets, as it makes it easier to scratch.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It seems to be the case with all the players that many of their high runs have ended with a scratch on the break shot. I think that’s just the nature of this game to expect to have 20+ to 30+ consecutive rack runs without getting a bad roll on a break shot takes not only extreme skill but extreme luck as well. I guess it’s the trade-off of having forgiving pockets, as it makes it easier to scratch.

I think the player can do a lot to minimize the possibility of a scratch but it takes some knowledge.

How much follow, how much draw, how much english, what speed, and even how much elevation. And then there is the issue of how steep an angle you leave yourself for the break and what break ball you choose. The steeper the angle the fewer options you have left yourself.

IOWs, IMO, there is much a player can do to help themselves in this regard but it takes knowledge and experience. And anyone who says it’s a issue revolving around 5” pockets does not know what they are talking about because a player with 14.1 experience and knowledge knows how to minimize that problem.

Lou Figueroa

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On page 2 I predicted a high run of 350 with 250 to 350 being his bandwidth during his time here in terms of his best runs. I hope he does better than that, but , in any event, he has had some very nice runs to date.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On page 2 I predicted a high run of 350 with 250 to 350 being his bandwidth during his time here in terms of his best runs. I hope he does better than that, but , in any event, he has had some very nice runs to date.

Bobby and I both made predictions before he started and they are preserved in a text.

They’re only 30 balls in difference but I think one of us will be close. After he’s done I will reveal.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Bobby and I both made predictions and they are preserved in a text.

They’re only 30 balls in difference but I think one of us will be close.

Is Jason playing some more tonight?

Should start shortly.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
526 does seem wiithin the realm of imagination based on what we've seen. 626 is a whole other kettle of fish.

Some heavy hitters have taken big shots and there haven't been any 400s, let alone 500s. Who will be the fiirst to hit 400? It might take a repeat visit, or multiple repeat visits.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the player can do a lot to minimize the possibility of a scratch but it takes some knowledge.

How much follow, how much draw, how much english, what speed, and even how much elevation. And then there is the issue of how steep an angle you leave yourself for the break and what break ball you choose. The steeper the angle the fewer options you have left yourself.

IOWs, IMO, there is much a player can do to help themselves in this regard but it takes knowledge and experience. And anyone who says it’s a issue revolving around 5” pockets does not know what they are talking about because a player with 14.1 experience and knowledge knows how to minimize that problem.

Lou Figueroa
Agreed, but minimizing it is completely different than being able to totally eliminate it. I would say a player who scratches once every 30 break shots is doing about as good a job as he possibly can, but it’s still going to occasionally happen, as we’ve seen.

It also needs to be said that with the only goal for this format being an extremely high run, means the break shot strategy is going to be completely different than it would be if it was in a tournament match.

In a tournament match, you can always be a little more conservative in how hard you are blasting into the rack, knowing that there is always the option of playing a safety if you get stuck. In this format, that is not an option, which is why the players are more aggressive on their break shots, which in turn leads to a higher chance of a scratch.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't notice Shaw ever ask the balls to be cleaned, whereas Earl was asking for cleaning every few racks. Did I miss it, or Shaw didn't care?

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So what happens if he lands between 526 and 626?

Then what value does the mystery tape have?

Again not picking sides or a fight. Just stirring the soup.

Best
Fatboy

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So what happens if he lands between 526 and 626?

Then what value does the mystery tape have?

Again not picking sides or a fight. Just stirring the soup.

Best
Fatboy
I think its a fair bet the JS tape will never be released, so it really doesn't have a value. But, even if someone ran 1000 on a free stream, I think JS still has the same exhibition angle he is doing now (or was before corona). I don't think a 1000 ball run diminishes JS's exhibition potential.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think its a fair bet the JS tape will never be released, so it really doesn't have a value. But, even if someone ran 1000 on a free stream, I think JS still has the same exhibition angle he is doing now (or was before corona). I don't think a 1000 ball run diminishes JS's exhibition potential.
I’d like to see JS make some $. Just seems like his window might be closing a bit that’s all. Possibly I’m wrong and he’s happy with his result and his decision to handle his biz the way he has. Not my biz.

Fun to sweat great 14.1, especially when you can actually see it, not just hear about a result.

Best
Fatboy

gerryf

I mentioned earlier that people I know who attended Schmidt's presentation said it was a great event, and they also said anyone interested in straight pool should attend. I think that's the rub. There aren't a lot of people that appear that interested in straight pool yet, but Schmidt seems to draw a crowd. His 626 was a very good thin for straight pool.

In our local league, there's more than 600 players, and I think only 4 ever play straight pool.

For the high run challenges, I belatedly started logging the number of viewers for the live stream, and for Shane and Jayson it got up into the 600's, for Earl in the 500's, and for Ruslan in the low 100's. I had thought Ruslan's numbers would be higher, but maybe it's just the time zones that make a difference.

But looking at the 'views' for the videos, and recognizing that they're very limited in what you can take from it,
- Shane's best numbers were 7500 views for his Day 1 video, and that was over 10 weeks
- Earl's Day 1 video had 32000 views, and that was over 2 weeks.
- Ruslan;s Day 1 video had 3200 views, and that was over 9 weeks.
- Jayson's Day 1 video had 40,000 views.

Clearly Jayson is popular!!

Last edited:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I mentioned earlier that people I know who attended Schmidt's presentation said it was a great event, and they also said anyone interested in straight pool should attend. I think that's the rub. There aren't a lot of people that appear that interested in straight pool

For the high run challenges, I belatedly started logging the number of viewers for the live stream, and for Shane and Jayson it got up into the 600's, for Earl in the 500's, and for Ruslan in the low 100's. I had thought Ruslan's numbers would be higher, but maybe it's just the time zones that make a difference.

But looking at the 'views' for the videos, and recognizing that they're very limited in what you can take from it,
- Shane's best numbers were 7500 views for his Day 1 video, and that was over 10 weeks
- Earl's Day 1 video had 32000 views, and that was over 2 weeks.
- Ruslan;s Day 1 video had 3200 views, and that was over 9 weeks.
- Jayson's Day 1 video had 40,000 views.

Clearly Jayson is popular!!
Nice numbers for the audience size. That’s a win for pool😀💪

middleofnowhere

Registered
Agreed, but minimizing it is completely different than being able to totally eliminate it. I would say a player who scratches once every 30 break shots is doing about as good a job as he possibly can, but it’s still going to occasionally happen, as we’ve seen.

It also needs to be said that with the only goal for this format being an extremely high run, means the break shot strategy is going to be completely different than it would be if it was in a tournament match.

In a tournament match, you can always be a little more conservative in how hard you are blasting into the rack, knowing that there is always the option of playing a safety if you get stuck. In this format, that is not an option, which is why the players are more aggressive on their break shots, which in turn leads to a higher chance of a scratch.
I was going to say exactly the same thing you said at the end of your comments. It's a big difference between just trying to run balls and actually playing a match. In match play you never scratch on the break.

You open up sections of the rack you work around the rack you get balls out you create break shots and you move on to the next rack. Always with the option that you can end up with a safety.

I used to play with DiLiberto all the time and we would run a lot of balls. I've seen Danny run over 200 numerous times in complete control, not whacking the rack open like he's playing nine ball. We would play and run back-to-back runs of 100 plus nobody scratching on the break.

I'm not sure you can really make huge runs playing classic style straight pool. You will win tournaments though.

Last edited: