Earl/ Open

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl was in the loser's bracket and was losing and it was all but over.

Earl out of respect for his opponent conceited while his opponent was away from the table taking a break.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
did Earl forfeit out of the tournament totally?

I hope he got frustrated and quit because he realized how fierce the competition is now.
Not like the 80s and 90s when Earl was winning quite often.
The talent was NOT as deep back then.
Guess what, Earl?
Time to admit you're no longer relevant.

*I've never been an "Earl" fan if you can't tell.

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BTW, according to the brackets, Earl was down 7-9 to Josh Roberts when he conceded the match. Mike Howerton explained it briefly in the other thread on this subject.

MuchoBurrito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BTW, according to the brackets, Earl was down 7-9 to Josh Roberts when he conceded the match. Mike Howerton explained it briefly in the other thread on this subject.

Especially given the breaking rules, that's hardly a done deal.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope he got frustrated and quit because he realized how fierce the competition is now.
Guess what, Earl?

If that's what you believe You know less about pool then my Yorkshire terrier.

Last edited:

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
I always believed Earl have untreated bipolar. Quitting the match out of frustration at his own skill level is characteristic of this mental illness.

This may give some of us a deeper understanding of Earl and the issues he face, while others may see it as an opportunity to gloat, and bait him more.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guess what, Earl?

He made the finals of the world 14.1 this year in a world class field. If you don't think he can play then pull out some money and match up with him in some 14.1 - I'm guessing you won't.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I always believed Earl have untreated bipolar. Quitting the match out of frustration at his own skill level is characteristic of this mental illness.

This may give some of us a deeper understanding of Earl and the issues he face, while others may see it as an opportunity to gloat, and bait him more.

When one's blood sugar is uP/Down so are ones views of life.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I've seen Earl concede racks of six or seven balls left, in frustration after a miss. And more than once in the same set.

MuchoBurrito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

In The Earl Strickland Story (great doc on Strickland), there's a moment when Jim Wych says that Strickland is Bipolar.

Now that obviously not a diagnosis, but...

TBH I know a couple people with Bipolar disorder, and from what I've seen of Earl, his temper issues don't fit with the Bipolar disorder I've experienced, which is characterized by extended periods of mania / depression.

But I do bet that Earl could be diagnosed with some mood disorder.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Earl has something that I have "coined" as "WINNITUS".

Everybody has heard (or not heard, in many cases) of "tinnitus". That is where someone hears a "ringing or buzzing" sound that isn't present for anyone else to hear. It can drive some people to the point of insanity. Sometimes it can be diagnosed as a physical problem, like an injury to your ear of some sort, and sometimes they can find nothing and consider it "all inside your head".

Earl seldom goes completely "bat shit" when he is winning, but when he is losing, that is another matter.

If he is losing, his "winnitus" kicks in and he hears all kinds of shit in his head that he can't control. He hears people eating potato chips 50 feet away, he hears people breathing too loud, he becomes hyperactive....etc., etc., etc.

I think his "winnitus" can be controlled by letting him win every game.

The key to curing Earl is to let him win all the time and proclaim Earl as Champion of the World for the rest of pool's existence, or Earl's.

Help us stamp out "WINNITUS". It is an ugly thing.

In edit: Earl isn't the only one with this condition. There are others.

Last edited: