EARL STRICKLAND Returns to TEAM USA

penguin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, how about we don't have any racism. K, thanks. Merit, the person best qualified, is ALWAYS the best and most fair, ethical, moral, and beneficial way to choose people for anything. How about we not be racists and make choices based on skin colors like you would prefer to do because racism is just wrong, always, period.
Nice of you to twist my argument around. You should get your résumé over to Fox News, OAN, or Newsmax, if you haven't already. :rolleyes:

I prefer making choices based on merit, just like you claim that we all should.

In the top player Fargo ratings for the USA, Josh Roberts is #11 with a 771.

Tyler Styer is #15 with a 760, Tony Chohan is #27 with a 752, and Chris Robinson-Reinhold is #38 with a 742.

And, yes, Earl Strickland is #8 with a 775.

But it appears that while players like Josh Roberts and Tony Chohan are indeed qualified, they seem to have been excluded for "other" reasons.

However, since you are so upset that someone would even insinuate race playing a part... perhaps Matchroom should make the Team USA selection process more transparent, so we can truly see how much "politics" really has to do with who is selected.

Until that happens, many of us will continue to be left with the impression that there is, and always has been, some sort of favoritism when it comes to choosing who plays in the Mosconi Cup for Team USA.

As things currently stand, the Mosconi Cup Team USA does not represent the very best that American pool has to offer.

Maybe we should all be a little more concerned with why that is the case.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice of you to twist my argument around. You should get your résumé over to Fox News, OAN, or Newsmax, if you haven't already. :rolleyes:

Tyler Styer is #15 with a 760, Tony Chohan is #27 with a 752, and Chris Robinson-Reinhold is #38 with a 742.

But it appears that while players like Josh Roberts and Tony Chohan are indeed qualified, they seem to have been excluded for "other" reasons.

However, since you are so upset that someone would even insinuate race playing a part... perhaps Matchroom should make the Team USA selection process more transparent, so we can truly see how much "politics" really has to do with who is selected.

Until that happens, many of us will continue to be left with the impression that there is, and always has been, some sort of favoritism when it comes to choosing who plays in the Mosconi Cup for Team USA.

As things currently stand, the Mosconi Cup Team USA does not represent the very best that American pool has to offer.

Tony and Josh play very little big table rotation. IMO Tyler and Chris are both the favorite playing either one. Playing the race card here is beyond lame.

gerryf

I heard a commentator say that the US team tends to be a group of individual players who sometimes don't mesh well, and the Euro team tends to have better teamwork.

The job for JJ is trying to juggle not just playing skills but also those players who have the 'best fit' in a team event.

penguin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tony and Josh play very little big table rotation. IMO Tyler and Chris are both the favorite playing either one. Playing the race card here is beyond lame.
How about after Tyler and Chris get back from the Mosconi Cup, they take their 15k "show-up money" and match up with some of the players who didn't make the team? Or do you plan on staking them?

mista335

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I knew that.

I was just pointing out that they have just as much of a chance losing with Earl as without him.

The Mosconi Cup is a crapshoot.

Watch it.

Have fun.

Don’t worry about who wins.

It is unimportant.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Doesn't Roberts play a lot of big table 9 and 10 ball events? I think he would be favored in a race to 15 or 21 vs Tyler or Chris in either game

VVP

Registered
Doesn't Roberts play a lot of big table 9 and 10 ball events? I think he would be favored in a race to 15 or 21 vs Tyler or Chris in either game
Yes, he does, but some people just have to come up with whatever to make a case.

mista335

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, they had Corey Deuel to take care of the Europeans last year. Earl will take care of the Europeans this year. Go USA! :ROFLMAO:
Corey Deuel didn't win a match.

I think you are better off picking any young talent than picking old has-beens.

At least you are investing in the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: VVP

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member

Tony has a history which may not have been conducive to what Matchroom is trying to do.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I don't think it should be the sole criteria, but one would be an absolute fool not to take their Fargo ratings into consideration along with a lot of other things such as looking at recent tournament performances as you suggested below, considering how they deal with pressure and perform on the big stage or in a team dynamic, how their personality type is going to positively or negatively affect the rest of the team, how likely they are to bring embarrassment to the country they are representing, how hungry and determined and serious they are, how many eyeballs they will help bring to the event, and probably about 20 or 30 other things.

On a side note, I'm not sure if Mike Page would want to do it or not, or if Matchroom or the team captains would be interested in the info for that matter or not (but they should be if smart), but Fargo could easily give a player rating for just the last month, or last two months, or six months, or any period of time you would like and this would essentially do what you are suggesting below, see just how well a player is playing in whatever X recent time frame, but perhaps do it even better than only looking at their finishes in the events and would certainly be good supplemental information in any case.
I'd like to see Shane's Fargo just from his MC play